Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do memory cards wear out?
I'm sure this sounds like a silly question but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I treat my cards well, as I do with my machine but the other day I tried to load my XIII saved game and it crashed. I reset the machine and checked the card and found four blocks of corrupt data. Even after deleting the currpupt files my XIII save wouldn't work and I had to delete it and start again.

I have no idea how this could have occured. I don't move the cards while it's loading or saving and I always make sure they're dust free before putting them into the machine so I was wondering if it's simply because they are so old?
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
I had that happen to me before too, now I have three mem cards, one main, one back-up, and one for taking files to a friends house...

mem cards CAN go bad, but I doubt this is what happend with yours. It actually happend twice with me, the first time I have NO idea what happend. But I lost all my GT3, and Swing Away Golf files (two of the largest files I had, especially the time spent playing the games), the second time the electricity went out as it was saving and I lost all my data on that card because of corupt files, but thats where I was SOOOOOO glad I started saving EVERYTHING twice, I just copied the back up to the Main card again...
[Image: raziel.jpg]
I'd go mad if I lost my FFX, Dark Chronicle or GTA saves.

I've already got 2, each with different saves on.

I guess it would be wise to get another to backup the important saves.

Thanks KagedSmile
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
Yeah...I took a chance when I went to washington and brought my memory card with me so I could show my friend the character I made of him in my copy of shut your mouth.

Well, I found out the the airport x-ray machines don't erase memory cards!!

So there's that.

I don't know about the whole old thing...cause I have a PS1 memory card that my dog chewed on a little....and it still works fine.

It could actually be a bug in XIII itself....
Memory cards are like any other piece of hardware- they are prone to failure and your best bet for preventing this is proper maintenence. Of course, even then you may get the shaft, and at that point the only thing I or anyone can do is offer condolences.

I've never had a problem with Sony cards, which I ALWAYS buy after several corrupted third party cards like Yobo. NEVER buy Yobo. Yobo sucks.
This is why I can't wait for the HDD. We have alot of power problems here. And it blinks constantly. So I have a heck of a time keeping my saves on my card.
<b>I have nothing to show!!!</b>
HDD's aren't perfect also. They have problems aswell.

I wonder why Sony couldn't install a Flash Card inside there memory card. I mean $30 for 8mb is way overpriced.

I believe gaming console need to go into more of the usage with flash memory over there own memory cards, or atleast develop affordable memory cards. I mean $30 for 8mb i believe anyone would agree is overpriced.
------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: fg_sig.jpg]
------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler"
- Albert Einstein

they have those two packs for 49 I think......that's a good deal.
Quote:Originally posted by Dmitry M. (Lazer)
HDD's aren't perfect also. They have problems aswell.

I wonder why Sony couldn't install a Flash Card inside there memory card. I mean $30 for 8mb is way overpriced.

I believe gaming console need to go into more of the usage with flash memory over there own memory cards, or atleast develop affordable memory cards. I mean $30 for 8mb i believe anyone would agree is overpriced.

they are like $25 now, but didnt they start out at $40...I think thats what I paid when I reserved my PS2, and they suggested to reserve a mem card too...
[Image: raziel.jpg]
Yeah I think they are like 24.99.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite saved memory card game icon. AC-Raven 12 1,210 07-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Dante&Trish!
  Do CD Games really wear out your ps2's lazer faster? jumbo 21 1,878 06-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Barret Wallace
  Will the Hard Drive also be a memory card? PlaystationFan 0 878 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  PSP mem cards and your mobile phone. dillonthebunny 0 1,819 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  just a quickie about a new psp memory card dillonthebunny 0 739 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Capcom Debit Cards Come With Gamer Perks BikerSaint 0 711 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: