Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Arnold or any PSXE staffer about PS2 hardware
It's been awhile since I worked here and I really don't keep up with stuff anymore, but recently I read a review of San Andreas at Gamespot that had the following to say:

"Additionally, there are some occasional level-of-detail issues, where you'll be able to get pretty close to an object before its "looks good up close" texture can load in. This sort of problem will probably vary, depending on the condition of your hardware. If your PS2 is new and fresh, you probably won't see it too often. But if your system has seen better days, it might have trouble keeping up with you when it comes to streaming in the new textures and landscapes."

Now, PS2 hardware has never been my area of expertise, but this doesn't seem to make any sense to me. I know that there were some changes to the 'new model' PS2s that came out awhile back, but I don't recall any of them being fundamental changes in the system's architecture that would explain why an 'older' PS2 would render something slower than a 'newer' PS2 with the same exact hardware.

The only thing I could think of is an issue with the lens, but even that makes no sense since the 'newer' PS2 suffer from that problem just as often as the ones they replaced. In fact, I took in my brand new PS2 just after a month because it wouldn't read Splinter Cell, and traded it in for an Xbox.

So, for Arnold specifically or anyone currently working for PSXE that happens to be savvy in technical areas, what's the 411?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
It says the condition of the hardware, not the hardware itself. If it's old and rusty it might have some performance issue. And looking at it, it might have something to do with the Disc Drive (given that it probably streams the "closeup" textures only when necessary). Disc drives are mobile, and more sensible to damage.

I remember the same thing sort of warning were ensued when MGS1 came out. They said that certain models with X amount of hours of use had higher risk of crashing, due to loading issues.
Could be they are just covering all the bases if anyone does moan about such problems....They then have a come back saying they said it may occur...I dunno seems a bit wierd though.....

Does not make much sense I know its early and I am at work please forgive me Wink
Same here Hawkster. I can't stop yawning...

I think that it is simply a case of older, well used, dustier machines will not run as quickly or as smoothly as one that's nealr brand new.

A simple example of this:

Turn the machine on with a game in.

New machine: Starts loading the game without going to the browser menu screen.

Old machine: Loads the browser screen and leaves you waiting for half a minute before it decides to start loading the game.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
Quote:Originally posted by Gabriel013

Old machine: Loads the browser screen and leaves you waiting for half a minute before it decides to start loading the game.

Mine has done that since I picked it up on release!!!

I dont mind though normally heading to the fridge to get beer by the time the game loadsBig Grin
that's what I'm talkin' about!!

It's nice to be able to grab a cold one while a game is loading.

I would simply say that I don't really care if it's really pretty or anything, it's a new GTA that looks to be breathing a huge amount of new life into the series.
Quote:Originally posted by Voice
that's what I'm talkin' about!!

It's nice to be able to grab a cold one while a game is loading.

I would simply say that I don't really care if it's really pretty or anything, it's a new GTA that looks to be breathing a huge amount of new life into the series.

Now now kids, liquor isn't for you little ones Wink

Tongue :lol:
I'm with you, Ryan. That made me do a double take when I read it earlier today. Doesn't make sense to me...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." -- Ephesians 4:2

[Image: image.gif]
Neither the original PSX nor the PS2 have shown that they age very well. I think it's just a case of being able to read the disc at 100% efficiency. That said, the way the games usually work, stuff like textures DO get redrawn as you get closer, but, that shouldn't be something that's streaming off of the disc, unless they mean when you're driving fast in a car, and then perhaps the system can't quite keep up. I wouldn't think that when you're on foot that's an issue. Conflict Vietnam, which I will post a review of this week had some similar issues, but I think that's just how it was programed, not because my ps2 is old.
It's a streaming issue and primarily has to do with the condition of your system's laser. But GameSpot is bullshitting, though. Why? Because it happens on my PStwo, as well. The game's pop-up is far worse than VC or Liberty City.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frostface joins the PSXE staff as a contributor Spartan119 4 476 05-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Last Post: farfus
  PSXE Game Club (Possible Spoilers) frostface 2 380 04-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: frostface
  PSXE's Best of the Best Polls: PS2 Overall Ben D. 69 17,586 06-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Last Post: CrazyIrishBoy
  PSXE Poll re xbox content? Gabriel013 36 4,727 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Ben D.
  Arnold is da man!!!!!!!!!!!! Ploid 1.0 19 3,002 07-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Last Post: farfus
  PSXE Seeking Some Help Ben D. 6 1,534 04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Norrec
  PSXE New Designs The Benny (Macho) 8 1,500 01-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Dmitry M. (Lazer)
  Hahahaha. Nintendo DS = Piece of hardware shit. Arnold K. (Admin) 27 1,944 03-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Prime
  Question about PS2 Alpulley 0 45 12-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Alpulley
  Cheat Question Nino 0 40 08-20-2003, 05:35 AM
Last Post: Nino