Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boy am I dumb! placing movies on the PS3 hard drive....
Well I had the movie disc that I purchased at Wal-mart of High Definition Star Wars Attack of the Clones and I did a backup copy to my PC.

Then I burned a High profile 45 min. clip to a +R DVD disc and it was a .ts file so when I tried to play it I got a black screen.

Then I went back and looked at my rip: Mpeg2 .ts with ac3 audio
So I went to the PS site for supported formats and it says:
mpeg2 .ts with mpeg2 audio.

Geez so I went back and redid my rip using the wizard in Video Lan to do a quick container change without redoing the entire recode movie thing to get an mpeg2 ts movie with mpeg2 audio.

It works.

And here I was spending days to recode with Nero digital when the answer was so simple!

So what has been your experiences?

Thanks.
Never play with a wasps nest.
is this the only way you can put your movies on the ps3?

shame there isnt just a simple 'copy' function in the options on the ps3

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. 

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
A copy function would be great because from your PS3 you can't burn or email the vid so I'd havre thought that copyright protection wouldn't have been an issue; Aside from copying ot to your mates PS3 Smile
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
what do you need to copy movies to your ps3?
markman520 Wrote:what do you need to copy movies to your ps3?

Most of the time its just import with Nero and use the Video Lan wizard to recontainerize from .ts to .ps container(and add .mpg instead of .ps when renameing file), re-container the audio to mpeg audio from Ac3.

No spaces or weird stuff in the movie titles:

This-will NOT! work.mpg wont work

Thiswillwork.mpg this will work

Burn as a data disc with Nero, place data disc inside ps3, hit triangle and just copy resultant movie files.

Movies must be in mpeg-2 with mpeg audio.

Common problems of black screen or data corrupt are folks burning a data disc with mpeg-2 VIDEO and AC3 AUDIO

Another option is to use Nero to make a 100% PS3 compliant AVCHD disc that plays and can be copied to the PS3 EVERY TIME! (nice for those HD .mkv files that some folks just "find" on the net).
Russell Burrows Wrote:Most of the time its just import with Nero and use the Video Lan wizard to recontainerize from .ts to .ps container(and add .mpg instead of .ps when renameing file), re-container the audio to mpeg audio from Ac3.

No spaces or weird stuff in the movie titles:

This-will NOT! work.mpg wont work

Thiswillwork.mpg this will work

Burn as a data disc with Nero, place data disc inside ps3, hit triangle and just copy resultant movie files.

Movies must be in mpeg-2 with mpeg audio.

Common problems of black screen or data corrupt are folks burning a data disc with mpeg-2 VIDEO and AC3 AUDIO

Another option is to use Nero to make a 100% PS3 compliant AVCHD disc that plays and can be copied to the PS3 EVERY TIME! (nice for those HD .mkv files that some folks just "find" on the net).

Unless you are me, a person who won't settle for only MPEG movies. I say what is the point of putting anything on the PS3 HDD if it supports MediaServers.

Read this: http://www.psxextremeforums.com/playstat...s-ps3.html

This will show you how to play AVI or hell any movie file on the PS3 via a MediaServer.
------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: fg_sig.jpg]
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler"
- Albert Einstein

Dmitry M. (Lazer) Wrote:Unless you are me, a person who won't settle for only MPEG movies. I say what is the point of putting anything on the PS3 HDD if it supports MediaServers.

Read this: http://www.psxextremeforums.com/playstat...s-ps3.html

This will show you how to play AVI or hell any movie file on the PS3 via a MediaServer.

You mean like Orb, TVersity, etc?
Thanks but been there, done that and the LOW quality turned me off.

Tsun Tzu: every disadvantage has an advantage and every advantage has a disadvantage: The Art of War.

Media servers: fast and quick.
However the video and in most cases the audio also are of LESS quality that the source file.

Making a data disc:
Disadvantages are that it takes a bit to make one and then you have to transfer the video file over to the PS3 hard drive.(ONE time for that video).

Advantages are you get the same quality VIDEO as the source file and in most cases the same bitrates in the Audio as well.

And hey nothing compares to twenty Mbit(hits at 23 Mbit in some places). video datadisc versus a low quality streamed version from Tversity.
Russell Burrows Wrote:You mean like Orb, TVersity, etc?
Thanks but been there, done that and the LOW quality turned me off.

Tsun Tzu: every disadvantage has an advantage and every advantage has a disadvantage: The Art of War.

Media servers: fast and quick.
However the video and in most cases the audio also are of LESS quality that the source file.

Making a data disc:
Disadvantages are that it takes a bit to make one and then you have to transfer the video file over to the PS3 hard drive.(ONE time for that video).

Advantages are you get the same quality VIDEO as the source file and in most cases the same bitrates in the Audio as well.

And hey nothing compares to twenty Mbit(hits at 23 Mbit in some places). video datadisc versus a low quality streamed version from Tversity.

Yeah but this is a Transcoding Process which is done on the fly. Unless you're patient enough to wait until conversion and transfer is done then yes it's not for you. But i personally like to watch things when i want to watch them not 2 to 3 hours later.
[Image: fg_sig.jpg]
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler"
- Albert Einstein

Dmitry M. (Lazer) Wrote:Yeah but this is a Transcoding Process which is done on the fly. Unless you're patient enough to wait until conversion and transfer is done then yes it's not for you. But i personally like to watch things when i want to watch them not 2 to 3 hours later.

My PS3 is at my office/workplace.

My computer is at home and is busy via remote desktop on those videos so that by the time I come home and leave for work next day there are at minimum four to nine hours of 1920 X 1080i movies on either data discs DVD single layer or four gig. usb removable media (8 sticks).

So why is the PS3 at the office/workplace and the PC "workstation" is at home?

A train stops at a train-station.
A bus stops at a bus-station.
On my desk at home there is a PC workstation................

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movies The Benny (Macho) 3 1,162 07-20-2018, 07:44 PM
Last Post: tlpn99
  Attaching a larger Hard drive to a Xbox 360.... Conansr 4 3,772 07-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Last Post: orangpelupa
  PS3 DVD Drive Failure rynstyles 4 1,554 06-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Last Post: AJShotts
  PS3 hard drive update.. RobertD 2 1,765 12-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Last Post: RobertD
  Nintendo: Wii Hard Drive Unnecessary The Benny (Macho) 0 1,680 10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  movies on ps3 ronnie11 8 1,797 07-31-2007, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  Help. Swapping my ps3 hard drive Jed 0 1,092 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Forddammit! Lost media from flash drive :( psplayer 0 811 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  PlayStation marketing people try real hard not to confirm a ps3 price drop SHADOW 0 3,830 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  "MS to announce a 360 redesign with integrated HD-DVD drive by 2009 E3 June" daniod 0 3,654 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: