Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS3 could be used as a FreeView box next year??
…is this the ‘big’ secret that everyone keeps on hinting about? There’s obviously big news coming about the PS3, everyone keeps on saying that there will be news. And when something big gets released as news, that’s when Sony turns around and says something like ‘no, that’s wasn’t the big news thing we were talking about.. but we’ll tell you soon’ type of thing.

Anyway, this is from IGN, im sure there will be a far more in-depth article if possible on our front page soon, as this could indeed turn in to big news!

“PS3 to Become Freeview TV Recorder?
New Zealand Sony exec reckons it's happening next year.
by Rob Burman, IGN UK
UK, August 1, 2007 - Not content with the fact it already plays games, Blu-ray discs, old PlayStation stuff and music, Sony's New Zealand sales and marketing manager Warwick Light says that next year the PlayStation 3 is set to become a TV recorder rather like Sky+ or TiVo.

Speaking to New Zealand newspaper The Press, Light said: "We're also hoping next year - about the same time that Freeview launches its terrestrial broadcasting service (expected to be in March) - to release a digital tuner for the PS3, turning it into a programmable TV recorder."

Unfortunately Sony UK refused to comment on Light's statement”

The only thing I have to say to put a wee damper on this, is that most of us (UK anyway) have a freeview box or sky, so if the PS3 did go this way, it would have to be something a lil more special.. maybe compatible with HOME?

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. 

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
I don't have a freeview box but do have VirginMedia.

It would be nice to be able to continue watching TV upstairs without haveing to buy/lease a second box. I hope that when analogue TV is shut down and they turn the digital signal up to 100% I may be able to recieve it at my house.

Using my PS3 to record tv would be fantastic. I could then copy it to my flash drive and take it with me to watch elsewhere Smile
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
i also cant wait for it... should be very cool indeed!

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. 

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
it's an awesome idea, but they'll need to get a bigger harddrive going for it to be even remotely considerable of an idea. i suppose they'll ship a USB tv in card of some sort with it.
[Image: MrSunburnMan.png]
Well freeview doesn't transmit in HD so that should ease the burden of storage space but I do know what you mean. Giving more options for extrernal HD's would be nice then people who already had them in use would be able to plug and play rather than the only option being a complete reformatting. grr.

3 forum tokens
the lack of HD would kind of defeat the purpose of the ps3 (to sell more HD TVs Wink).
[Image: MrSunburnMan.png]
I'm still not using HD so it didn't work on me. I'm still loving the Resistance goodness in SD. Works well enough for me.

Tongue

3 forum tokens

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 5 Most anticipated PS3 releases this year SHADOW 43 7,200 10-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Why Sony's 10-Year Plan Makes Sense BikerSaint 0 2,866 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Sony: PS3-focused 'movie plus game' Blu-ray Discs coming this year accord 4 me 0 1,380 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Year of the PSP MUSTANG750R 0 1,205 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  What Are Your Top Picks For Game Of The Year 2009? Danny007 0 3,068 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  What games are you looking forward to getting next year? whiskeytango74 0 3,754 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Another big year already. BeezleDrop 0 1,877 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Bioshock 2, A year after bigamer908 0 2,434 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  PSX reader pick for Game of the Year 2011 TheHighlander 0 5,762 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Should Game Of The Year Rely Solely On Review Scores? The Benny (Macho) 0 10,701 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: