Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killzone Levels are 2gb each
If we consider that Warhawk dl is around 1gb (DK told me), then this is a phenomenal size.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1789.html

While I'm highlighting this story, I'll also just comment that I think this was DK who first mentioned Killzone 2 but didn't give clarification of the important 2gb part.

I assume this is full HD non-compression in which case they can compress it to give a non-HD gaming experience if required for other media.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
It's quite the shocker, really.

In other news, Retro says 'Metroid Prime 3 can only be done on the Wii' and Bungie says 'Xbox Live provides the only online architecture capable for Halo 3'. And console fanboys wave their sex at each others.
[Image: MrSunburnMan.png]
I know I said I wasn't going to post again but I got to do this one

Constructive Reply: Discs on the other formats are simply not big enough for this game, got it

Non Consructive Reply: MR. SUNBURN, YOU ARE THE BIGGEST TWAT ON THE WEB . why the hell do you have to act like such an ass, take a day off for petes sake, nobody can talk disc size or anything similar without you taking the piss.
The Force Is With Me.......And I Still F**k Everything Up

[Image: DarthKoth.png]
I knew this thread was bait, and as such, I replied to it as an non-news. Of course games exclusive on a platform will use its better features. It's not hard to comprehend. So how does that compromise news, save for the sex-waving fanboys?

And I've had enough with your irrational arguments and flamebaits. I have tried to reason with you for far too long in public or privately. Think about your own attitude for a while.
Bait? If this wasn't news then it wouldn't have been posted on the news pages of PSXE. I brought it up because I thought it was interesting.

You've known me for how many years Sunny?

It does tie in to the other valid discussions regarding storage media size that's discussed not only on this forum but on many others. There is nothing fanboyish about it. I was hoping that maybe this could prompt a proper discussion about the subject but I guess I was wrong.

If the uncompressed levels ARE 2gb (and they aren't just being lazy developers) then how will they be possible on any other console without compressing them and thus losing the HD quality?

If you want to say that with a bit of work you're sure the developers could get the levels down to a size workable on a DVD without losing HD and without cutting out huge parts of the levels then that's fine and I'll accept it but simply saying I'm making a fanboy statement and offering a sarcastic repsonse is more than a little unfair.

I'm sure that in terms of system performance the 360 is just as capable of running the game. If I'd made the claim that the PS3 is the only system that can run Killzone 2 because of the Cell chip THEN I would have been 'cock-waving'.

3 forum tokens
Sorry, there may be a misunderstanding here. I didn't mean that you baited me. I meant that DK was clearly waited for my reply in this thread, given that he replied pretty quicky (for these forum's standards). I also was not referring to you with the fanboy comment. If you notice, I did not tie that comment with you, nor did I imply it. I just meant that this was going to happen on the internet, as always, and this type of news will most likely be used for that fashion, and get blown out of proportion. Notice the genericity of my statement.

And yes, this is exactly what this news means, the PS3 is the only console that can run Killzone 2, not only because it's exclusive, but because it's taking advantage of its hardware features. But how does that qualify as ground breaking news? We all knew that off-hand.

Also, by compressing you don't lose HD quality. I've been playing HD games that have been compressed for years (on PC and 360) - and they've looked rather fantastic, to be honest. In fact, I'm sure that the best looking game this side of Killzone 2, Crysis, will be heavily compressed to fit on a DVD. As long as the output looks good, what does it matter how it is retrofitted on a disk?
Mr. SunburnMan Wrote:Sorry, I didn't clearly express myself. I didn't mean that you baited me. Also, by compressing you don't lose HD quality. I've been playing HD games that have been compressed for years (on PC and 360) - and they've looked rather fantastic, to be honest. In fact, I'm sure that the best looking game this side of Killzone 2, Crysis, will be heavily compressed to fit on a DVD. As long as the output looks good, what does it matter how it is retrofitted on a disk?

That's ok, I misunderstood.

I didn't think you could maintain the HD with it compressed but I don't profess to have much technical knowledge so I'm always open to people pointing out things I may have overlooked.

3 forum tokens
HD is simply a resolution. Although I do realize that the textures and sounds are probably stored at full resolution for Killzone.

Now that being said, I entirely believe them when they say that they couldn't do it in its current state on the 360. The same can be said on alot of other games on different platforms too.
Its not about resolution its about a given resolution data rate for an entire file in this case a game.
I.e the regular DVD at 4.3 gigs can hold an hour of a movie file at DVD resolution at 9.9 Megabits per second including audio portion.

The regular DVd at 4.3 gigs can hold an HD movie.
CAVEAT.
That HD movie will only be 1/2 hour long at 19.9 Megabits per second.

Therefore.

For a given disc capacity that is what sets the MAXIMUM length of a data file at a given data rate.

So if you only have ten gigs or so to work with you either LOWER the quality or you LOWER the length of the movie file or in this case the game.

A better solution is to NOT lower either file size as in this case game length and also NOT lower the quality or Megabits per second data rate that sets the quality of both resultant audio and resultant video.

Therfore.

The only solution is to choose a media that can do both so instead of going with ten or so gigs you choose a media that does twenty five gigs per layer.

Ipso facto you choose blu-ray as the only medium available that supports said aforementioned needed media capacity for data rates of twenty to thirty Megabits per second for games with no compromises in quality.
Never play with a wasps nest.
Okay what the hell did I miss? When did Koth lose his marbles?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Killzone 2.. first footage! dillonthebunny 15 2,675 07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Last Post: dillonthebunny
  Killzone Developers Now Developer Exclusively For Sony!!! PlaystationFan 1 1,100 03-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Last Post: uknowwho
  New Killzone Video. bigloser 9 2,367 02-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Last Post: dillonthebunny
  First ever footage of Shell Shock(From the Makers of Killzone) bigloser 8 1,595 02-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Last Post: likido
  KillZone anyone? Mista 21 2,846 02-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Last Post: PlaystationFan
  First Info On Shell Shock! From The Developers Of Killzone! PlaystationFan 4 1,239 01-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Voice
  The First KillZone Fan Site!!! PlaystationFan 8 1,654 08-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Linkin Park 47
  New KILLZONE info, screens jumbo 17 2,425 08-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Last Post: PlaystationFan
  Killzone article Linkin Park 47 13 2,197 08-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Tosser00
  Killzone REVEALED! Woo! Arnold K. (Admin) 5 1,176 08-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Mr. SunburnMan