Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killzone Levels are 2gb each
Did he ever have them? He's been like that for as long as I can remember.
[Image: KyleMettler.png]

Forum Tokens: NINE~!
He was always kind of like that, but he got worse because I didn't agree with him on the issue covered in his other (now locked) thread.

Also, barret's post makes no sense whatsoever, because films and games are not the same thing at all and do not have the same problems when it comes to storage.

Edit:GEE I WONDER WHO THAT SUNBURNISADICK USER IS.

Too bad I permabanned him. Cause you know, I'm a **** apparently. Congrats Koth, you just won an extra 2 weeks of thinking time!
[Image: MrSunburnMan.png]
[quote=Mr. SunburnMan]He was always kind of like that, but he got worse because I didn't agree with him on the issue covered in his other (now locked) thread.

Also, barret's post makes no sense whatsoever, because films and games are not the same thing at all and do not have the same problems when it comes to storage.

Wrong!

Movie files, music files, audio book files, jpeg files, videogame files, ebook files, pdf files, text files, etc.

All the SAME as its all ones and zeros come storage time and so ALL have the same problem come storage time if the intended storage medium is unable to do so.

Try storing a ten Gigabyte(ten thousand Megabytes) .pdf file or .jpeg file or .flac audio file or videogame file or movie file on a seven hundred Megabyte Compact Disc with no degradation as to quality or file length and without using compression that either results in quality LOSS or data degradation.
Never play with a wasps nest.
I woul like to mention that although DK is quick to lose his temper his comments stem from the fact that Sunny was telling him his opinion was wrong and the sarcastic comments that came with that.

It was DK's opinion that DVD is too small a media for HD gaming and although others disagree with him they can't definitively prove that he is wrong and so it shouldn't have been inferred he's a moron for holding this belief.

He's also not too happy about others from outside the discussion jumping in and making derogatory remarks while he can't defend himself but I think he'll deal with that when his ban is over.

I heard about the account name and said it was a bit too far BUT the original intention was for him to post a reason for why he responded agressively in the first place.

Back to the original discussion. I feel to fit a large HD game on a DVD without making cuts in the data, without spanning more than one disc and without taking up hard drive space, you cannot avoid massive compression which will result in some quality loss.

I think the first test games to come along which will help one side of the coin will be Halo 3 and the next GTA. Some people may already have info as to the size of the game data, whether it requires HD space 'PC style', whether they are in full HD.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
Russel - yes, I know, but in movies you have a linear media, where the data is unique at each given moment. In games you are running software - assets can and are reused left and right, so no, it's not exactly the same problem at all.

To clarify things to others, I do apologize for telling him that he was a moron - but that was eons ago. If he did want an apology he could have handled it differently. However my claim that he was not based on his opinion, but based on the fact that he told me I couldn't have an accurate opinion on the matter because I don't own a ps3 - which was a moronic statement no matter how you put it.
[quote=Mr. SunburnMan]Russel - yes, I know, but in movies you have a linear media, where the data is unique at each given moment. In games you are running software - assets can and are reused left and right, so no, it's not exactly the same problem at all.

Its the same problem:

In movies you have to balance how much of the variable bitrate goes for video versus how much goes for audio.

In video games you have to balance how much goes for audio and how much goes for video and pure data where you balance game quality versus storage capacity of the targeted media.

I.e if you want a four hundred hour game experience and full 7.1 audio and full uncompressed ingame video at twenty to thirty Megabits per second rates then something has to give be it game length or number of onscreen enemy count or map size or other game features.

Every Game Developer does this balancing act and it does get tiresome when you have to be constantly checking to see if your selected software will fit on the selected production media.

Therefore the selection of Blu-ray gives developers
a chance to relax and forget about if its going to fit on the disc.

However this does not mean that all games of today are going to be twenty five gigs as it only means that Developers are getting tired of the restrictions of nine or ten gig media.

And sooner or later as coding server clusters become cheaper its a given that Game Developers will up the map sizes and game duration length as for example a twenty hour main mission and extra twenty hour missions that are unlocked after beating the primal mission add to the perceived consumer value when choosing a game purchase.

All this comes at a cost of needing more media storage capacity so sooner or later extra game content needs extra storage capacity where twenty five gigs will be seen as lacking capacity.
Well yes data space is a problem. I was more meaning in the ways that things are stored on the disk. I may have misunderstood what you were getting at there!
Time is money when developing a game, folks.

Any Developer can fit a game on limited storage space media but it means compromising and it means delay after delay when every day someone wants to know when is it going to go gold!

So the easy path to get the paycheck is cut development time by eliminating the try and get it to fit process.

And also eliminating the lets try to reuse this sector from level two on level seven by changeing a few cosmetic aspects of the level(s) presentation that can be done but requires week after week when time is money and the pressure is to deliver the game, right now!

And last but not least is the "fun" process of trying to fit a game and going from a nice working game or movie to a useless mush all due to a single change in a single line of code as the folks who did Shrek discovered that the "donkey" character turned into a nice gray chiapet.

Thats why Blu-ray is needed as no one wants to re-invent the wheel when its just a matter of getting proper size storage media versus the circus of trying to get that game to fit on something else.

Well folks the tequila bottle is empty and its time to get a nice full one and go back to checking on some superstring theory math.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Killzone 2.. first footage! dillonthebunny 15 2,675 07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Last Post: dillonthebunny
  Killzone Developers Now Developer Exclusively For Sony!!! PlaystationFan 1 1,101 03-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Last Post: uknowwho
  New Killzone Video. bigloser 9 2,368 02-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Last Post: dillonthebunny
  First ever footage of Shell Shock(From the Makers of Killzone) bigloser 8 1,595 02-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Last Post: likido
  KillZone anyone? Mista 21 2,846 02-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Last Post: PlaystationFan
  First Info On Shell Shock! From The Developers Of Killzone! PlaystationFan 4 1,239 01-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Voice
  The First KillZone Fan Site!!! PlaystationFan 8 1,654 08-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Linkin Park 47
  New KILLZONE info, screens jumbo 17 2,425 08-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Last Post: PlaystationFan
  Killzone article Linkin Park 47 13 2,197 08-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Tosser00
  Killzone REVEALED! Woo! Arnold K. (Admin) 5 1,176 08-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Mr. SunburnMan