Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EA favours open console.
As news go it's not particularly surprising that EA would rather not have to develop and port across multiple systems. Rather than just a unified console though EA's Gerhard Florin wants a completely open one. From the BBC:
Quote:"We want an open, standard platform which is much easier than having five which are not compatible," said EA's head of international publishing. He said the web and set-top boxes would grow in importance to the industry.
"We're platform agnostic and we definitely don't want to have one platform which is a walled garden," said Mr Florin.
EA currently produces games for more than 14 different gaming systems, including consoles, portable devices and PCs.
"I am not sure how long we will have dedicated consoles - but we could be talking up to 15 years," Mr Florin added.

He predicted that server-based games streamed to PCs or set-top boxes, would become increasingly important.
"You don't need an Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii - the consumer won't even realise the platform it is being played on."
An open system would presumably mean not having to go through Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to get it published on a system (saving EA the money money that entails), but the benefits aren't so clear for the console manufacturers themselves, especially if, as Florin puts it, "Gaming will just require potentially a £49.99 box from Tesco made in China with a hard drive, a wi-fi connection and a games engine inside. It's basically a boiled-down PC."

Less unlikely (though still hardly probable) would be the big three joining together to launch a single, closed system. Microsoft genuinely seem to value the Live/Marketplace side of things over the hardware, Sony are very much interested in pushing the hardware and Nintendo's focus this time round has been games and innovative controls. In theory none of these primary interests clash as much as in previous generations, but you'd still be talking about splitting the money across three different companies. Nintendo, for one, would be unlikely to favour running huge losses in hardware development and clearly don't believe in open online gaming, while Microsoft and Sony don't seem to be in any danger of becoming bedfellows any time soon.
Playing:
PC: Shadow of War
PS4: Uncharted 3 | Monster Hunter World | Game of Thrones
Switch: Breath of the Wild | Dragon Quest Builders | Mario + Rabbids
XB1: ReCore | Sea of Thieves | Rise of the Tomb Raider
This guy is crazy imo. Sounds to me like he spends 24/7 thinking "how can I squeeze every last cent." Though this kind of thinking is how you keep a business making a profit he seems to be thinking too simplistically. It's almost like he want the sales but only wants to pay a couple of guys and their dog to spend a few hours developing a game. Seems to sum up the overall EA ethos.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
Indeed, without competition I think things would get a little flat if you know what I mean, just look at the state of PC gaming

and if EA want to make more money why don't they make some decent games with decent framerates, the framerate on Tiger Woods is starting to get on my nerves, twice its stopped me from beating Tiger now. grr
The Force Is With Me.......And I Still F**k Everything Up

[Image: DarthKoth.png]
That's just your punishment for using the 3 click system Smile
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who all here is a single next-gen console owner? PlaystationFan 27 4,174 06-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Console Gaming VS. Computer Gaming!! On On-Going Debate!! PlaystationFan 55 15,855 03-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Last Post: farfus
  How long have you been a gamer? (What was your first console) Arnold K. (Admin) 60 9,896 05-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Zapix
  Console region coding Gabriel013 5 1,277 11-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Last Post: dillonthebunny
  Which console has the lineup your most interested in this year? PlaystationFan 17 2,200 04-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Mr. SunburnMan
  Hey Individualist, Egotists, Nintendo has a console for you! Mr. SunburnMan 5 1,559 04-21-2004, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Voice
  So what console surprised you most this generation? PlaystationFan 9 1,623 04-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Last Post: farfus
  I'll say it now: 2004 will be the best console year ever! PlaystationFan 7 1,250 03-31-2004, 12:49 AM
Last Post: coolhotwaves
  worst game on next-gen console? Gabriel013 7 2,455 03-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  Which next gen console do you want most? PlaystationFan 14 1,439 03-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Last Post: dillonthebunny