Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How long before it dies?
According to the NPD figures:

November 2008 - PS2 206,000, PS3 378,000
December 2008 - PS2 410,000, PS3 726,000
January 2009 - PS2 101,000, PS3 203,000

The Feb 2009 NPD won't be out for a while yet, but I imagine the PS3 will still be ahead, especially with the KZ2 momentum.
Thanks!
Looking at this, there are still thousands of PS2s being sold, and you wouldn't buy one if you didn't intend on using it, so it will be a fair while until software sales cease.
Life is one great paradox
[Image: card.png]
[Image: robinhood2010.png]
Hell, Sony really supports their machines, so I can see them, & game developers, taking the PS2 at least into 2011.
I've got one of the original fatty's & I'm still buying games for it & playing it daily.

(Can't say the same for MS though, they just stated that they've dropped "ALL" support for their original Xbox).
Yay I have a launch fatty, still running. Well, only because I open it up regularly and give it a good clean on the inside.
robinhood2010 Wrote:Yay I have a launch fatty, still running. Well, only because I open it up regularly and give it a good clean on the inside.

I've never thought to open any of my consoles up for cleaning , but maybe I should start, & maybe I'll get another 50-60 years out of my PS2, LOL

I'm going to buy a used "slim" model just to have as a backup though, Gamestop's got the "slim" for for 79.99 & the "fatty" for 69.99 right now.
Once it is past the warranty, then there is no harm done in opening it up. My PS2 wasn't reading any discs whatsoever, so I decided to try and clean the crap from the CD drive, and it worked like new afterwards. Not too difficult to do either.

I havn't bought any new PS2 games in over a year, so I don't think I would be too fussed if mine gave out on me. Still need to complete Disgaea 1 and 2 though...
OK thanks.
But since I'm more of the motto "If it aint broke, don't fix it", I don't think I'll do anything except for blowing some canned air around.
That is, unless it decides to start giving me problems.
I doubt the PS2 will go away anytime soon. In fact, I predict that the PS2 won't go away until PS4 is a year or so from it's release date. I just bought a brand new, silver PS2 and I'm keeping it this time.
For a while it did look like the PS2 might begin to steadily diminish then properly fade away, but the new price cut could well give it a fresh boost for a few months at least. After a price cut consoles seem to settle at a higher monthly sales rate than before, so it's going to be around for a while yet.
ATTENTION - Unless otherwise specified, all opinions stated in the above post should be interpreted as the personal opinions of The Benny (Macho) and not objective fact, even when said opinions are inarguably superior to all other opinions in the thread.

[Image: uc.png]
Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
Why would Sony discontinue it while its bringing them good business around the globe ?