Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Odyssey
So I picked this up today after the short bit Ben said about it. After that I did a little reading up on it, and was sold on it instantly... Why?

Hironobu Sakaguchi. :omg:
Co Founder of SquareSoft, and the creator of Final Fantasy. TREMBLE IN FEAR SQUAREENIX!

Only to be watching the opening credits to see the music score by...
Nobuo Uematsu. :omg:x2

So here I am now thinking to myself... (And mind you I have followed SquareEnix from system to system for 20 years, and they are the #1 reason I bought a PS3...) SQUAREENIX IS IN DEEP ****! Let's face, it, SquareEnix the dominant RPG developer, or least that's how I feel about it. Now here we are with the 2 people that made SquareSoft a name, now broken off from them and doing what? Making a really great RPG game imo!

As for the game itself, it's a real full fledged turn-based RPG, just like any old FF game! Gameplay is easy and solid, just like I'd expect from an RPG!

Story even seems Final Fantasyish, and imo, I see hints of FFVI running around. Just waiting to see if who I think is the antagonist will really come off as a new generation Kefka! All but the main character appear to have personalities. The main character you get a stronger feel for through his memories which you unlock.

The music is definately not what I'd have expected from Uematsu, but despite that it's decently composed.

The graphics are not what I'd call "amazing" or anything. One thing I've noticed is the high ratings in the graphics. They're not very impressive honestly especially compared to other new games. Devil May Cry 4 imo eats it alive, and doesn't even leave a bone for the dogs.

What I do have to ask though... 4 discs? Wow! LOL, I have to say here, SquareEnix must be laughing about this one. Hope there's alot of game go around on 4 discs! That being said, you have a 'loading' screen everytime you turn around, making me wish there was an install function! Oh, and the discs almost look like they came from a bad batch, but I'm not getting errors. Could almost swear the glue sealing the disc didn't set correctly.

Overall, I'm happy! Great purchase, and a powerful team worked on this game! I hope to see other good games from them in the future like this. Btw, I have played the demo of Blue Dragon, and was rather annoyed by the animation and characters. It felt like some very childish Digimon-YuGiOh RPG game. The music was even worse.

Gameplay: 8.5 (It's a turn-based RPG in a FFXII world. Infact, you could almost say they stole the world system right out of XII! Easy to learn battle system, camera angles are not difficult at all. It's... Almost perfect! Alot of loading though)

Graphics: 7 (I'm simply not impressed. Perhaps it's just the style used, but it's just not that impressive imo.)

Audio: 7 (Nobuo Uematsu... Whatelse do I need to say?!? Still, it feels a little more like classical/comtemporary music than typical Uematsu. I believe this was the idea though. The English track is tolerable, but other languages including the original Japanese are selectable.)

Story: 10 (Alright, the story deserves a 10! It's definately a common kind of FF type of story... People digging up magic, and it makes bad things happen, somebody wants to control it to rule the world, etc etc. So why rate it high? Simple, it's a beaten dead-horse classic done again and again that ALWAYS sells! As said, if it's not broken, don't fix it!)

Extras: 7 (Not alot seen here, but the unlockable dreams although nothing more than reading a story, they are insight into the main character's past. It's kind of original. Early in the game, so endgame it could be better)

OVERALL: 8
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Some of you shall be missed though! I think you few know who you are Smile
A few of you are actually on my PSN list at that! Cool
I'd get this, but really I have no intentions of buying FFX again at full price.
[Image: MrSunburnMan.png]
Well, I'm 7 hours into the game now, and my first real boss battle was a little bit before that.

The first boss battle was impossible for me to win the first few tries. After several losses, I turned back and leveled everyone up one more level (Lv.15). Also in this I found myself with a rather nice piece of synthed equipment giving me an edge vs the boss. After that he wasn't too bad.

I'm easing up on the music a little bit, but the graphics and environments are still just not that impressive to me. Shadows, and lighting a good, textures the characters clothing, walls and and some buildings are decent. I think what gets me is the ground textures, and the looks of the characters faces. The faces seem blocky, the ground textures are lacking, and the grass and trees that support them feel cheap compared to some games.

The story is still holding my attention, and the antagonist is playing out his role in a very predictable fashion. So I find myself waiting for things I am sure will happen. Goes to show the repetitive storylines in RPGs. As somebody I was talking to about it on FFXI said though, "it's how the tell the story that makes it good." and indeed that is true.
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Blue Dragon had the same nostalgic cast, and was mediocre at best.

Don't let the names fool you.
As I mentioned, I've played the demo of Blue Dragon, and it turned me off horribly. The animation style, voice acting, and worse than American Idol music was enough to make me turn it off rather fast. Perhaps it's a good RPG for... an 8 year old?

On that note, I finally caught up with Ben on going onto Disc 2. About 16 hours to reach Disc 2, and that includes leveling, exploring, and digging up every possible treasure I could find, including going back and having to search for some I had missed.

Now 18 hours (17 hours 58 minutes) into LOST ODYSSEY, and I'm on way out the door in disc 2 (I just left Numara)

I'm finally warming up to the music, although still not inlove with the battle music. It just doesn't feel intense enough I suppose.

The story is... Well... Let's just say the last Final Fantasy game I remember that could touch a story like this was Final Fantasy VI. I know many fellow FF fans will argue that, but VI had by far the best story (Tactics gladly in second place). The characters, dialog and the voice acting are well done, especially when compared to previous RPGs of a similar nature. Jansen for example, his character's habits, personality, speech, they all pretty much fit!

This also might very well be the first RPG I'll play through to the end since Final Fantasy VII. I have a bad habit of stopping just around 75%-95% into RPGs for some reason. Again, the story is keeping me interested, and the change of pace in the environments and battles is pretty rapid when I think about it. Enemies come in different groups quite often, and the fact they use the front/back row system adds to it.

When thinking of Devil May Cry 4, and how it was definitely stated that part of the fun was feeling like you're that badass cocky character who can whip anyone sideways and never lose a fight. Ben stated LOST ODYSSEY tends to feel easy, and this is definitely true once you get a grip on the battle system. However, we are playing an RPG which no brainer means (Role Playing Game) and we are playing the role of a 1000+ year old immortal named Kaim, whom you'd hope and think after being alive for 1000 years as such... Knows how to handle himself pretty well! Also, we're immortals right? We're not supposed to die! We're the guy that is feared even from the very beginning of the game (not tossing in names to spoil anything here!). So it would seem right to have a somewhat ease of things.

Also games are being made in ways where the 'casual gamer' is no so stressed out. Granted, we're experienced gamers. Is that to say it makes up for the ease of fights? No, but again, the impressions of being the character we play comes into hand. Could a new comer to RPGs beat this? Definitely with some effort. Could they beat it with the same level of ease? Depends on how thorough they are I guess. I have enough things to keep me occupied, and considering the game is going to boast 45-60 hours without fail, I'll welcome the ease of the battles to make it go so it doesn't drag on.

Finally, on a note of the graphics, I stated before I'm not impressed, and I stand by that. I've noticed jittery motion at times, and the faces and details are just not nearly as refined as SquareEnix is. Regardless of this, I'm not about to judge it for its graphics. I'd still welcome the old 2D RPG style.[/FONT]

First of all, Lost Odyssey is in no way even remotely similar to FFX. And the next person who tries to say that all turn-based RPGs are the same (no one here, but I've heard it before) will really piss me off...

Anyway, I'm about 16 hours into Odyssey and I'm loving the game myself. The story is excellent - one of the best I've ever seen, actually - and the gameplay is plenty fun. I don't find the graphics or sound particularly impressive, but the voice acting is fantastic, and I must say, this is the first RPG I've played where I've actually LIKED the child characters. Cooke and Mack are adorable. Big Grin

Anyway, I'm very glad I picked this up, because I've been missing a great, traditional RPG experience. After all, how many times can I go back and play my PS1 RPGs? Cool
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
Heh, I dumped on quite literally 10 hours of gameplay in a single day on this. Ugh, I have no life!

So yeah, 27 hours, 54 minutes I believe is the exact time.

Basically just arrived at the 'EXPERIMENTAL STAFF' area.

Ben, I agree with the voice acting up to a point... Kaim is where I disagree... LMAO, for some reason I feel like the lines are simply being read off the page. He's gotten a little better since Numara, but sometimes it's flat.

Mack and Cooke could be considered the worst of the voice acting though. Well, that is unless you're used to being around children that age. LOL, in that case the practically nailed the 8yr old girl with a 6yr old brother right on the head. I speak from experience! I find it humerous even more when Mack knows things his older sister is not even aware of! The CS where they were singing was making me think "ugh, this is bad singing" and then I realized... Wait... That's how it really would sound for kids that age to be singing! They got it right!

I do have to say the time between Tosca and Saman was difficult for me at times. Multiple enemies with high HP that doing aoe/party damage such as All-SPELL or placing physically immune enemies up front, etc... Taking time to have your skills aquired becomes a need.

Most of my group is approaching level 30, Kaim and Seth have learned just about everything there is.

Ben, as for what you mentioned about Ming and Sarah...
Essentially all 4 immortals are paired. There is almost little difference between Kaim and Seth, other than some minor stat differences. The same goes for Ming and Sarah. Although we ignore the fact Kaim and Seth are so much alike because well... They're the only heavy melee we have! Mack is a front row melee too, but he's support-melee really. Sarah right out of the box though is a Cooke-Jansen hybrid. Ming out of the package was well... I'm not sure. Filler? The ability to custom mix and match makes it that way though. We have 2 melee, 1 support melee, and 4 mages to use however you really want. Think of it this way. Once they max out Jansen and Cooke's abilities, you'll have 2 immortals at hand that can well... Be customized a little better. This will leave the 2 mortals out of the picture (well, most likely). As for the 5th, it's purely choice then. Mack or another full blown mage.

I've been using...
KAIM - SETH
MING - JANSEN - SARAH

Anyways. Not too long till DISC 3.

Side Note: I've obtained all 60 seeds up to where I am, and pretty sure I've gotten most all treasures. I spend alot of time searching for things so I don't miss it. Alot of time spent on doing the npc quests in towns and whatnot, checking and rechecking I got everything I can find.

29 hours 51 minutes
Just saved game to switch to DISC 3.
Everyone is level 30-31.

The plot thickens! Big Grin

Off to start the 3rd disc!

Added notes:
Am I the only one who's having constant DISC READ ERROR (DISC UNREADABLE) problems, especially after defeating a boss and attempting to move to the next area? I've learned my lesson so many times with so many repeat bosses now that I instinctively save before leaving the area. Frustrating. :mad:

Not to say I haven't had issues with other games, but this is MASS EFFECT bad. Really haven't had issues with other games.

lmao, Ben... If you haven't gotten to it yet, the very first thing Sed says is absolutely priceless! LOL, don't take a drink of anything when ya get to it! :lol:

I say nothing more! When ya see it, I'm so curious to know what your first thought was! :p

Heh...I guess I haven't gotten there yet.

Well, I found that Sarah was basically the same as Cooke, only with slightly higher stats, so I now use Kaim, Seth, Ming, Sarah and Mack. Ming does everything Jansen does (and more) with slightly better stats, and I like the idea of dedicating support spells to Mack.

I just got to Saman, and while it was lengthy, I didn't find it too difficult. I never had to use a single item, actually, and I never died. Basically, I just gave Relax to both Ming and Sarah, which means I could set aside time to Defend in each battle, thereby keeping their MP maxed. So if I used attack or healing spells during the battle (which I always did), when I got down to one enemy remaining, I gave Sarah and Ming a chance to get all their MP back with Relax. It worked out pretty well. Smile

I'm Lv. 28 and at the 20.5 hour mark.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lost Planet for 360 Lady Jo 1 1,341 08-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Ben D.
  lost planet and crackdown 35 pounds for both aaronleo 2 1,567 07-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Last Post: aaronleo
  The Official GTA4 - The lost and damned thread Mr. SunburnMan 0 2,362 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: