Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on E3?
So what did you think about this year's E3? Favorite games? Biggest disappointments?

I think for me the single biggest disappointment of E3 is that it felt like there were no big surprises announced, minus the FFXIII debacle of course. Everyone knew about God of War 3. It just didn't feel like there were any big new games announced. Sure you could put up a case for MAG or something, but honestly it's not like they showed much of anything. It felt like a feeble attempt to show that Sony is giving us something new.

I wanted to see some stuff on Heavy Rain, or White Knight Chronicles, nothing from team ICO, nothing about the agency that wasn't behind closed doors that I saw. I'm probably forgetting a lot of things.

G4 was insulting, they really seem like mindless retards who are attracted to anything shiny until they get burnt and die (except this part never happens, unfortunately). But with this console gen, that's how I feel about every journalist out there. Say something nice or lose your job.

I am honestly stunned that people are approving of Fallout 3. Does it look like a terrible first person shooter that has no real art direction sort of game to anyone else? It looks like generic (ugly, might I add) rubble, some really bad animations, and some terrible gun play. Oh, and, a weak attempt at VATS. At the same time, some of their cinematic trailers (not the same stupid walk through they showed over and over and over and over and over), did look good. But they're supposed to.

The fact that Todd (liar) Howard claims that there is 100 hours of game play and that they couldn't be bothered to show the public a single side quest is incredibly alarming. So far I have it pegged as a half-assed (this word is interchangeable with Bethesda'd) shooter, and with a side of mysterious, probably bad... maybe not, dialog that we have never seen. I'm trying as hard as possible to keep an open mind about it, but it is very hard when all directions point to me not being wrong. I guess we'll see if they ever show us some actual questing and not killing generic uninspired monster #1. The least they could do was show us a friggin deathclaw.

There was a bright spot or two for me. One would have to be seeing LittleBig Planet in action, this game looks great. I'm not sure if I would buy it because I'm not really sure if I have a firm grasp on what I would be getting on the disc, but I am pretty excited about it.

Another thing is Spore, which looks like it'll be a lot of fun if they can make it a deep, lasting experience. Did anyone catch the Asian guy who did the walkthrough? Worst presentation ever. Nearly ruined the footage, which was somewhat interesting in spite of him. Could they have picked a worse person to talk about it? I'm not so sure.

And lastly, Borderlands! I love this game with every fiber of my being, and unfortunately we didn't get any dialog or quests here either. I liked what I saw, and am desperately hoping for 2 player split screen, which I can't decide whether they have announced or whether they mean that you have to link up two consoles together with two TVs. There is some kind of weird dwindling effect when it comes to split screen, and Goldeneye is rolling in its grave over it. Halo 3 is virtually one of the only games that I've played that I could even go online with another person and play it together with them, which astounds me. It is the sole reason why I didn't get CoD4 or any games like it. I think that it's quite annoying that a friend can't join in on the fun. Why is this game NOT getting more press? I laughed a little when I heard that one of the leading devs said it would be the first FPS RPG sort of game. I guess they never played Deus Ex.

I'm long winded, I am sorry, truly. Just thought I'd kick this off. My official verdict is that E3 sucks, but it is nice to know that some companies can come together and make all sorts of announcements. Albeit, boring ones that we already know about.
Microsoft kept me much more interested than Sony for the most part. While Fable 2 was really the only game they showed I have interest in, they seemed focused on gaming for the most part. Sony was so spread out all over the place, I didn't know if I was watching a sales report, another Netflix commercial, reruns of MGS4 ads, or demos of first party products that will likely get delays, delays, delays, omfg delays. I don't know how the GT-TV will work, I couldn't quite get if it was pay for content or not. With the internet being so vast, I just don't see myself paying to watch TopGear. Jeremy Clarkson is not worth paying for! LOL

In the end, Sony finally managed catch my attention with MAG, which seems to be a project far from being complete really.

In the end, I have a handful of 360 games to look forward to, and delays from Sony. To which I would like to say, Sony needs to stop even speculating on release dates...
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Some of you shall be missed though! I think you few know who you are Smile
A few of you are actually on my PSN list at that! Cool
I'll be issuing my own opinions on E3 in an editorial that'll go up late tomorrow night.

Good comments, though, Superjew! Smile
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
Thanks man, after I wrote that long spew I was thinking, "Man, maybe I should just apply for a damn job." :p

Do you get to go to E3 with the rest of the gaming press? I should have asked you if I could get invited, I had nothing to do this weekend, lol.

Zapix, do you feel still supporting the PS2 is kind of hindering Sony at all? Maybe not sales wise, but with more PS3 console support? I wasn't exactly thrilled either, though I fail to see what all the hoopla about Gears 2 was. Also netflix thing is Microsoft, seeing as how they are actually pairing up with netflix. Wink

I kinda tend to think that the press conference wasn't in the right direction, it seemed like they were jam packed with stuff to show us but didn't show the right stuff. I thought the GoW III thing was unnecessary because it was so little. I guess just to get it out there, even though everyone already knew. I guess I don't get who their target audience was. We didn't need to know about sales figures, they can save all that crap for private conferences. I think if you maybe took that out it would have squeezed something in for White Knight Story or some other game.
Heh...we're not looking for anyone right now, but we always appreciate good contributors to the forums and to the Comments section on the front page. Smile

And no, while I had an invitation to go (both Arnold and I got one), I didn't go; only Arnold did. We made the decision that it made little sense for both of us to go, when we had nobody behind to update the site on the spot with big updates. For example, Arnold did attend the Sony conference of course, but if I had been with him, you guys wouldn't have had the Live Blog I did, and you certainly wouldn't have the ensuing headlines for all the big announcements until later in the day (when we got back to the hotel).

We'll see what happens next year, but maybe then we'll both go. Might bring a laptop with me for the conference or something.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
Superjew Wrote:Thanks man, after I wrote that long spew I was thinking, "Man, maybe I should just apply for a damn job." :p

Uh-oh! Ben, he's after your job! :p

Superjew Wrote:Zapix, do you feel still supporting the PS2 is kind of hindering Sony at all? Maybe not sales wise, but with more PS3 console support? I wasn't exactly thrilled either, though I fail to see what all the hoopla about Gears 2 was. Also netflix thing is Microsoft, seeing as how they are actually pairing up with netflix. Wink

Well, the PS2 is still supported, and I can't blame them for having something on it, that's completely reasonable. However, they also need main focus on the PS3, and the PSP... That's gotta be a very difficult thing to juggle, especially when they're trying to throw new features around like downloadable movies and various content. Still... Tretton did say last year was about the hardware, this year was about software... What I saw I don't even quite know, but it seemed to be a mindless blunder of various things, poorly organized.

Fact: The PS2 nearing the end of it's so called 10 year life span. Development has slowed down compared to what it was, and while sales are still good... Again... It's nearing the end of it's 10 year plan.

Fact: The PSP has been doing very well with sales I believe, however software is still running thin. While we PSP owners have seen some nice changes in the last 7 months, I have to say... It's still a ways off. The Resistance game might be good, I don't know. A REAL FPS game though is kind of hard to put on the PSP... At least when compared to Call of Duty, Halo, Resistance (PS3), etc... There's no dual analog sticks to make it really work. Sure, you could go with the old Doom/Wolfenstein style, but how fun is that? Sadly, I don't think they really had much to throw for the PSP, and that doesn't help tickle other developers.

The overall focus on PS3 games wasn't really... Well... it wasn't exciting imo. I did learn more about LittleBigPlanet, I saw the unveiling of MAG... Still, we know LittleBigPlanet is coming... We've heard about Quest for Booty. I saw a trailer of inFamous which caught my attention, but just barely. The Agency is still something I know little about other than it'll be some spy MMO.

DC Universe looks like it'll have a rather short run appeal. Something you could see a child coming up with, and it's a great idea, and everyone likes it... Then a week or two later everyone gets bored with it because it wasn't built for long term entertainment. As I said before on the comments, how many times can you really see yourself helping Batman stop the Joker, or join up with Lex to bring down Superman. Even if that doesn't stick, I can't see it being more than a senseless Player vs Player royale in the skies of Metropolis...

After the blow of FFXIII, I also think many were expecting some huge sucker punch at Microsoft... In the end, what did we walk away with? MAG... Now I'm sure somebody is going to try and tell me that it's only possible on the PS3, but I won't stand to believe that for even a second. The XBOX360 handles Final Fantasy XI, and in very good detail I understand. Both are MMO type games, so it's not like this is something that blows the 360 out of the water. On the other hand, it looks like it should blow Gears of War out of the water... Which mind you, I have little to no interest in Gears of War, and I have friends pushing at me to get it to play with them.

Then, lastly... Sony throws the movie bits at us. Personally, I think they should have done that via a video released on the PSN, and then followed up with the actual content. LOL, and yes, I used "Netflix" as a reference, because like with Microsoft's conference, I was starting to wonder what the hell E3 was about... I could have sworn it was about games, not movies and television... And while the focus of these game systems has changed, it has NOT changed why we buy them to begin with... Games. It's a nice extra, but leave it out of E3... Focus on the gaming, not Steven Spielberg.

Overall, I wasn't impressed by Microsoft or Sony, but Microsoft definately had the better show of the two. Sony is just juggling way too much, and they don't seem to have a real point of focus. Perhaps this is why Sony is constantly delayed with projects.

Sorry for spewing out so much... LOL, as always, I have a habit of going into details.
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Ben D. Wrote:And no, while I had an invitation to go (both Arnold and I got one), I didn't go; only Arnold did. We made the decision that it made little sense for both of us to go, when we had nobody behind to update the site on the spot with big updates. For example, Arnold did attend the Sony conference of course, but if I had been with him, you guys wouldn't have had the Live Blog I did, and you certainly wouldn't have the ensuing headlines for all the big announcements until later in the day (when we got back to the hotel).

Knowing you had an invitation, but stayed to benefit the site, I can only toss you a mere "thank you" and mention you did an honest great job with the live updates. With thanks to Arnold for the feedback from the games being shown at E3. Not to mention the forums went down, plus the um, FFXIII explosion (lol, er, um... >.> I could be held on trial for leading that one, although I tried to remain logical with my anger!)... Been a crazy week for you both, and I'm sure sure if it was exciting, fun, or stressful, a combination of everything, or what, but you guys DID do a good job with it! As I've come to expect in the last 7 months, PSXE is a good place Smile

Ben D. Wrote:Heh...we're not looking for anyone right now, but we always appreciate good contributors to the forums and to the Comments section on the front page. Smile

And no, while I had an invitation to go (both Arnold and I got one), I didn't go; only Arnold did. We made the decision that it made little sense for both of us to go, when we had nobody behind to update the site on the spot with big updates. For example, Arnold did attend the Sony conference of course, but if I had been with him, you guys wouldn't have had the Live Blog I did, and you certainly wouldn't have the ensuing headlines for all the big announcements until later in the day (when we got back to the hotel).

We'll see what happens next year, but maybe then we'll both go. Might bring a laptop with me for the conference or something.

You guys definitely run a top notch operation here, and it's really cool that you stayed behind. I have no idea how you decide these things, or if it's even important to you seeing as how E3 seems to be dwindling, but I know I'd be pissed if I had to stay. The fact that an invitation only operation invited you means you've gotta be doing something right, and I definitely think you guys are.

As for a job, well, I know I'd have to clean up some things if I were to ever write professionally, so I think I would understand if you didn't want to hire me, even if there was a job available. But hell, if you ever do I'd look into it with my 0 days of journalism experience. :p

Anyway, I can see how you feel that way. What I didn't get about the MS show was that they showed some multiplats, and while it was definitely cool that they showed Fallout, minus the downloadable DLC I'm not really sure why. And Zapix, the more you have to say the more I'd like to hear, it's just nice to see someone post something of substance on a message board. Kind of a rarity.

I'm glad they cut Kutaragi loose, but it seems like Sony is having a hard time uniting without him. I know the other guy who left (I cannot remember his name for the life of me), pitched some ideas that were wii-like and they shot him down. Obviously he was right, not that that is what I would have wanted, but I guess he knew where the goldmine was and they didn't let him chase it. Maybe Sony just needs to hire a real leader and find a direction and stick to it. I can't help but feel that maybe the changing of the guard has set them back.

Actually, to be honest, after this gen I think I might just build a PC and wait a few years before getting a console. I've never felt like I had to wait for quality games before, counting down the days to game X, then moving on to counting down the days to game Y, you can tell the skyrocketing budgets are affecting productivity. Not to mention with the huge demand on graphics it feels like it is REALLY affecting innovation, and gameplay. Though that's probably corporate marketing catering to the absolute lowest common denominator. The blander something is the more people can get behind it I guess? Better than have something spicy that only half of the world will like. That's a terrible analogy but you can see what I'm getting at.

The gaming industry feels like someone popped its cherry and that it's all business and no heart nowadays. For every passionate dev there's a publisher holding his money ransom and reducing his time and creative freedom.
Superjew Wrote:What I didn't get about the MS show was that they showed some multiplats, and while it was definitely cool that they showed Fallout, minus the downloadable DLC I'm not really sure why.

Headed, to bed, but I just HAD! to comment on that... :W:

You have questions, I have answers...

The answer is...
Because Microsoft didn't have many exclusives to show, so they figured they's show content from the multiplatform games they bought favortism from, so they could slap a 360 logo on after it, and keep Sony from showing the same thing the next day.

lol, ok, so not funny as I hoped, but it's almost 5:30am! Cut me some slack! :nosense:
ugh... and I've had the hiccups for the last 7 hours... it's driving me insane. :mad:

Haha well I assumed that much. But then again if you feel that way I'm a bit surprised that the Xbox presentation engaged you more. Though the new interface looks really nice. I hated the old one.

I just totally forgot about this but I'm really disappointed in RE5 as well. So disappointed I accidentally just typed RE4 instead of RE5. RE4 revolutionized over the shoulder FPS's everywhere and was probably the reason why they were so huge at the time.

But... that was 3 years ago. Times have changed and the mechanics are simply outdated and clunky. Not to mention that your lack of mobility in the game literally means that they have no reason to change the stupid AI into something more intense and fast. You should be able to move while aiming. I also can't believe that they seem to have rehashed all the animations and that frankly, it didn't look very survival horror to me. Maybe if Chris wasn't so tank-like they could stick him in a few situations where he might be able to be better suited to react, like crap jumping out at you from all angles.

I just feel like Capcom has been doing this a lot lately. Little to no improvement, and lots of rehashing. It's incredibly disappointing to say the least.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Dead Redemption 2 - Your thoughts? frostface 17 205 11-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Last Post: frostface
  FF7 coming to 360? Fair/Unfair. Betrayal/Hate. What emotions/thoughts about this? Chimeran92 26 3,200 08-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Zapix
  Thoughts on Mafia? Voice 7 1,030 03-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Voice
  Final Fantasy VIII - My Thoughts The Benny (Macho) 52 5,765 03-12-2003, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Ryan H.
  my thoughts of Devil May Cry 2 so far. Voice 0 2,002 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  HD loader - you're thoughts? lue 0 925 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Black Demo thoughts Voice 0 3,856 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Thoughts for future gaming.... CH1N00K 0 1,388 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Mirror's Edge sequel - your thoughts Zorigo 0 2,268 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Thoughts on E3 TheWorldEnds 0 14,663 Less than 1 minute ago