Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on E3?
Actually I have to agree with Ben on the Dreamcast...
Personally post Genesis-SegaCD, SEGA went down hill rapidly. The Saturn was a giant flop, and while it had some decent games, most of them were also 3rd party multiplatform. The only good I got out of the Saturn was the RPG, Mysteria, which ended up being renamed shortly after the release... I have the original named one. Playstation which I didn't get into until a good 2 years later was definately the king. After Saturn I swore off SEGA consoles much like I did Nintendo after the SNES.

The day SEGA announced they were ending their console development, I jumped online and bought a Dreamcast from ebgames. The only games I had were Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and Starwars Episode 1 Racer. I rented and beat Shenmue, I liked it, but the very limited availability of Shenmue 2 made me lose interest. I originally played Code Veronica on DC, but I bought it for the PS2. And as I know Ben would undoubtedly agree, PS1 and PS2 is where the RPGs were at!
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Some of you shall be missed though! I think you few know who you are Smile
A few of you are actually on my PSN list at that! Cool
Yep, the Genesis was by far and away the best system Sega ever did. I still think my SNES/Genesis combo during the 16-bit generation was the single greatest console duo in history...although with this generation, there is always the possibility the PS3 and 360 will claim the crown.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
I'll agree the Genesis was the best system they did. But it felt like there were so many buried gems for the DC. Shenmue was hilarious because of its terrible voice acting, but at the same time the story and the gameplay was great. Two was great as well, it still haunts me that we'll likely never get to see the finale.

I doubt the PS3 360 duo will beat the SNES Sega duo. But there's a long way to go yet and you just never know what gems will hit both systems.
This generation is the first in a long time that has looked like it could be similar to the Genesis/SNES combo. Unless things veer dramatically in favour of one console there are going to be many compelling reasons to own both over the next few years.

Steering the thread back to E3 a sec, Kotaku has a list of games that didn't make an appearance at E3 - Alan Wake, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Tekken 6, All Points Bulletin, Brutal Legend, Indiana Jones, the Team ICO project, Duke Nukem Forever (ha!), Aliens: Colonial Marines and Bungie's next project - along with thoughts or comments on why they weren't present. Other sites have mentioned things like Wipeout HD (which we now know about) and Splinter Cell (which was probably shown up by Assassin's Creed). It's actually a fairly chunky list and E3 probably would have been a bit more exciting if they'd been present.

The Benny (Macho) Wrote:...things like another Tekken or Twisted Metal being appealing second-tier games but not system sellers by themselves.

I was mildly amused to see the rumour about Tekken popping up shortly after I'd made the above comment. Even if it turns out to be genunine (and the comment seemed vague and confused enough to still be up in the air right now) I don't think I'd opt for Tekken 6 on the 360 anyway. Analogue controls for a fighter always seem a bit imprecise and the 360's d-pad isn't great. Assuming the PS3 pad is similar to the PS2 then it would probably be the better choice.
Playing:
PC: Shadow of War
PS4: Uncharted 3 | Monster Hunter World | Game of Thrones
Switch: Breath of the Wild | Dragon Quest Builders | Mario + Rabbids
XB1: ReCore | Sea of Thieves | Rise of the Tomb Raider
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:This generation is the first in a long time that has looked like it could be similar to the Genesis/SNES combo. Unless things veer dramatically in favour of one console there are going to be many compelling reasons to own both over the next few years.

Steering the thread back to E3 a sec, Kotaku has a list of games that didn't make an appearance at E3 - Alan Wake, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Tekken 6, All Points Bulletin, Brutal Legend, Indiana Jones, the Team ICO project, Duke Nukem Forever (ha!), Aliens: Colonial Marines and Bungie's next project - along with thoughts or comments on why they weren't present. Other sites have mentioned things like Wipeout HD (which we now know about) and Splinter Cell (which was probably shown up by Assassin's Creed). It's actually a fairly chunky list and E3 probably would have been a bit more exciting if they'd been present.

I was mildly amused to see the rumour about Tekken popping up shortly after I'd made the above comment. Even if it turns out to be genunine (and the comment seemed vague and confused enough to still be up in the air right now) I don't think I'd opt for Tekken 6 on the 360 anyway. Analogue controls for a fighter always seem a bit imprecise and the 360's d-pad isn't great. Assuming the PS3 pad is similar to the PS2 then it would probably be the better choice.

If Beyond good and Evil 2 had been there it may have been the highlight of the show. I've sort of been around for SNES/genesis, but I was mostly around for the N64/PS1 days and after that, and I have to say that this combo of consoles is by far my least favorite.

Also I was surprised there was no announcement for Uncharted 2, or Assassin's Creed 2. Maybe it's just too soon but I figure they'd have Uncharted out mid 2009. Then again, it isn't even announced yet.
There were some vids floating around the web supposedly of a new Jak and Daxter game on the PS3, so assuming Naughty Dog only have one team they're probably working on that instead of a new Uncharted, or if they have a separate team for each (and both are being worked on) I guess neither was ready to show off.

Somebody at Ubisoft said recently that they're alternating between Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia (which is now using the AC engine) each year, allowing them to have a big game in that style every year without either franchise becoming over exposed and allowing some time for anticipation to build up.
Playing:
Eurogamer is reporting that one of this year's missing games, Splinter Cell, has been pushed right out of the fiscal year:

Quote:"Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, whose release was previously scheduled for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2008-09, will now bolster the line-up for fiscal 2009-10."
That's between 1st April 2009 and 31st March 2010 in old money.

So there's probably some retuning going on there.
Playing:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Dead Redemption 2 - Your thoughts? frostface 17 197 11-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Last Post: frostface
  FF7 coming to 360? Fair/Unfair. Betrayal/Hate. What emotions/thoughts about this? Chimeran92 26 3,198 08-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Zapix
  Thoughts on Mafia? Voice 7 1,028 03-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Voice
  Final Fantasy VIII - My Thoughts The Benny (Macho) 52 5,763 03-12-2003, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Ryan H.
  my thoughts of Devil May Cry 2 so far. Voice 0 2,000 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  HD loader - you're thoughts? lue 0 925 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Black Demo thoughts Voice 0 3,856 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Thoughts for future gaming.... CH1N00K 0 1,388 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Mirror's Edge sequel - your thoughts Zorigo 0 2,268 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Thoughts on E3 TheWorldEnds 0 14,663 Less than 1 minute ago