Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your retro phase
Did anyone ever go through a retro phase where they bought/downloaded/stole all these old games that they heard were great and never played before and just stopped playing newer games to catch up on things?

I totally started doing this with last year. Games like FO 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate, some other stuff that isn't as memorable. I haven't finished yet, I'm still in the middle of it. Gotta get to BG2 and Planescape Torment and probably some other stuff.

So when did you go through your retro phase, what did you play, and how long did it last?
without sounding patronising youre quite young, so I think Retro for you is different for some of us.

at the moment I have a GBA, Speccy and Genesis emu on my phone, im currently playing Shining force 2, Exelon and Mr Driller.

I will always be living through the retro phase, like most here.. will probably never leave it.
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
Haha yeah I realize that. I'm only 19, so when a lot of these shiny golden hits came out I was a little too young to grasp them. So now that I'm old enough to appreciate such games I'm really started to realize how badly certain genres have regressed. Especially RPG's.

Maybe we should also explain what the games are about or what they're like or hteir genre. Besides Shining Force I haven't heard of any of these.
The retro phase is true greatness, and will always be a part of my gaming. I still own my SNES, NES, Turbo Duo, PS, PS2 and Saturn. Think i still own a Genesis somewhere, too, and the Nomad handheld along with a Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced. I will be playing ps2 games for a long long time, there are so many i never checked out. Most games on the new consoles are sequels, and often times are at least as good as their inspirational counter parts!!
Exolon was an amazing game made for the Spectrum (maybe c64 too? ) where you walked from right to left killing things, it dosent sound much, but at the time Hewson were one 'the' gaming houses of the 80's.

Hewsons games rocked, and still do.. these are games that come from a time where you cant paper over the cracks with graphics, gameplay either made or killed the game, these were those days.
The music for these game were original score too, as kids we would talk about them in the playground.. it was important stuff!

theres a few of us here that can remember those days, and i would say that we are blessed in being old farts. because i would of hated to of only really experienced gaming now, to see how its evolved over the last 30 years is amazing.

thats why people who make the 'great' games in the industry are not usually 20 something, but 30+ something gamers, who know the difference between great gameplay and a game that will be played twice and left to die. beacuse they had no choice in growing up with those games, dying a million times in Quazatron, falling to your death a billion times in manic Miner, to feel the warm glow of greatness to complete epic titles like Head over Heels.. to not being able to play the game because the tape got chewed (oh wait, that wasnt fun times was it)....

just seems that now we can mask a games flaws with graphics, its now that Gameplay is even more important than ever before.. from an age where we had nothing but gameplay, to a time now where we have so much technology at the programmers finger tips that gameplay actually comes second is stupid.

when the ps3 got its first patch, a little bit of me died, (it didnt really.. im being over dramatic to show the point)... we didnt need patches before, so why now?

all way too easy to ship an unfinished game to rake the cash in and fix later. i dont care waiting three years for a game.. GT5? yeh, i'll wait.. MGS4.. we waited, it is blindly good, well worth the wait.

bah humburg, now wheres my marble madness.... ah, here it is "beep beeep beep"

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

Yeah Dillon, i figure i will be playing ps3 right about the time its a retro system in itself. I figure what maybe $150 for the console and $10-$15 per game should be just about right. Gameplay is what always kept my attention. I just recently tried a couple of games on the ps2 that look pretty (Ghost Hunters and Primal), but the controls and glitches kept me from enjoying either game. Whereas the simplicity and fluidness of Dark Cloud 2 totally rocked my world for months on end (technically im still not done im at the Dark Genie) other games that are mostly graphical splendor do nothing at all for me. The frustration of trying to fight through what they give you to work with makes any enjoyment of the game minimal at best. And since there are a bajillion ps2 games im still looking to play (yes i know i had Tenchu Wrath of Heaven i still got the game save) there is no reason to mess around with pretty eye candy crap game play on any system!!! :rox:
PS2 has some awesome games.. awesome. from DC2, FFX, FXII to your Ico's and SotC.. even games like GTA still stand the test of time. GT4 still rocks, these game were built to last, and play for months on end. the new console games (Ie: 360 and PS3) very few of them will last you a month of playing.
so far MGS4 and Oblivion are the only offline games that has kept me playing since their release.. all the other games ive had for the PS3 ive completed fairly quickly or not and sold them off.

I dont blame you at all for not going straight over to PS3 Farf, not for one sec. So much to explore on the PS2, you would be crazy not to play those games. im happy that ive played all those games, i can now move on..

but it is games like MGS4 that make me want great gameplay in all games, because now we can do great graphics, better than ever before.. married with amazing gameplay, every game should be as enjoyable as MGS4 imo, but theyre not. the level that Hideo works at shames the industry, because everyone should be working as hard as him. no patches for MGS4.. i think Hideo would rather jump off a bridge than submit a patch. (you watch, there will be a patch come out now for MGS4.. :lolSmile

still, very very early days in the PS3's life, this time in five years, it could be a very different story.. who knows where we'll be. because the graphics can only take us so far. if the PS3 is to last ten years, then its going to take more than flash to get there.

Thats kinda my thinking, the ps3 will be Sony's console for many years, hell the ps2 has been around almost 8 years in the U.S. and still outsells all the other systems in games combined. Its the system of choice for pure gaming, without a doubt. But 5 years from now (God i will almost be in my mid fifties) the ps3 should be rocking everybodys worlds real well and so many things will have changed. I seem to recall one of Barack Obama's campaign spiels being "In 4 years of my presidency everyone that wants a ps3 will have one", he is using the ps3 as a campaign selling device promise!!! :lol:
haha... you see in this country that would never happen, i think people in the gov think that if you tell people that game kill, then youre being responsible, weird..

but i do agree with you. totally think that you would be mad to give up and skip a gen of console just because theres a new one on the market. the PS2 has so much to offer still. Apparently Europe is getting a new model..!

a little while back i said that this time next year the PS2 will be winding down and Sony will be making a lot fewer PS2 games and concentrating on this gen, and though that was echoed in E3, i almost wish that if that was the case then at least replace like for like...

if Sony are going to stop BC in PS3's then give us titles that will last us. I guess its a toss up isnt it..

..do you make a great quality game (ie gameplay, graphics etc etc perfect) and make it so big that it takes people a year to fully finish playing it.. or do you bring something out sub par that requires two or three sequels a year..

which makes the real money in the end?

do you think you would sell more sub par titles because people finish them faster and go on to the next title, or would you say that a growing fan base for a longer quality game is stronger and way more fruitful in the end..?

Just to mention i was joking about Barack Obama's campaign spiel. But as he is basically willing to take any tack to win the upcoming election i wouldnt be surprised to hear something like that lol. Apparently they are coming out with a new ps3 with 80 gig, not sure about the BC but it will still only be $399, so dont be surprised if the 40 gig gets bumped down noticeably. I expect this time next year the ps3 will be noticeably more affordable, and the game library may even be worth checking out LOL....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Retro Window: Post video links or pictures of your old favorites BlinkBoy 0 1,928 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  I just purchased a Retro Duo II (NES/SNES) Frenchy17 0 1,109 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Retro Games Quiz tlpn99 0 1,236 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: