Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Activision Blizzard's First Casualties
Eurogamer is reporting that yesterday Activision Blizzard were discussing their release schedule and there were some key games missing while the "safe bets" were all intact:

Quote:The schedule does confirm the forthcoming release of Crash Bandicoot: Mind Over Mutant, The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor and an Ice Age sequel. There are also references to Prototype and an unannounced title.

All these games were to be published by Sierra before the company was taken over by Activision as part of the recent merger.

Sierra (the artist previously known as Vivendi, by the way) was also set to [publish] Ghostbusters, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand and Brutal Legend - but there's no mention of these on the release schedule. Nor is there any sign of Wet or Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust...

...The company has confirmed it will "realign" development staff at High Moon Studios and Radical Entertainment. Massive Entertainment and Swordfish Studios may be sold or closed.
There was no mention of the Riddick remake Starbreeze were working on either. Videogaming 24/7 spoke to a UK source and they confirmed Ghostbusters is being dropped, but not cancelled:

Quote:“It’s basically being put out to tender. Considering where it is in development, hopefully someone else will pick it.”
They weren't sure about the other games, but said it was likely any not mentioned were probably going the same way. It's really not a welcome development though. Being bigger than EA doesn't mean you have to start acting like them...
ATTENTION - Unless otherwise specified, all opinions stated in the above post should be interpreted as the personal opinions of The Benny (Macho) and not objective fact, even when said opinions are inarguably superior to all other opinions in the thread.

[Image: uc.png]
Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
I think it is a safe bet that someone will pick up Ghostbusters. I've heard nothing but good things about it. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if EA were first in line to get that title.

The Butcher Bay remake which I am really looking forward to will be a much more difficult sell. However it is more likely than not I think that someone will step in and pick that game up. Ubisoft maybe?
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
I haven't heard word on any of these games finding a new publisher yet. One neat thing to have come out of this though is that Monolith have apparently been able to get the F.E.A.R. name back for the sequel. Once the Activision Blizzard merger happened the name (which Vivendi owned) was up for grabs again, so Project Origin is now officially F.E.A.R. 2, which it was in everything but name anyway.
Shame some titles are being dropped. Looks like they are focusing more on kid friendly games judging by that post Benny.

One up side is that the 50 cent game looks to have been binned.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
funny thing is that i hear the 50 cent game looks not as disgustingly awful as the first one. actually some people were throwing around words like decent and good.

Ya the FEAR 2 deal is awesome. now project origin isn't nearly as confusing.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
I'm glad they got the name for their franchise because I've always liked Monolith. I'd personally like to see them dip back into Blood or No One Lives Forever rather than focus purely on dark and scary games like FEAR and Condemned, but it's all good.
GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!

Today it was announced that Atari is picking up the rights to Ghostbusters and Chronicles of Riddick. And considering 50 cent got picked up earlier, it looks like the only big game not to have found a home yet is Brutal Legend.
I think the Ghostbusters game is going to fail to live up to how good we want it to be. I really hope that I'm wrong as Ghostbusters was one of my favourites franchises as a child.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
That is good news Shadow. Is there any word on if Ghostbusters is still being held back a year? I remember talk about it being kept back so that its release coincides with a Ghostbusters anniversary, but that was when it didn't even have a publisher.
I know on kotaku they had a piece on who picked up ghostbusters and when it would be released, but I cant remember.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Activision's THUGin' with Tony Hawk's UnderGround GameGuyPete 3 557 05-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Last Post: korn666slipknot
  Activision: We don't want Brutal Legend. No, wait, give it back! The Benny (Macho) 0 1,520 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Activision all set to slaughter Goldeneye TheWorldEnds 0 1,600 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Gwen Stefani and No Doubt pissed about Activision being itself. TheWorldEnds 0 1,761 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How did you get fired from Activision. j/k mackid1993 0 1,925 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Bungie signs ten-year deal with Activision The Benny (Macho) 0 2,339 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Microsoft and Activision Akuma07 0 3,540 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: