Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japan's Favourite Video Game Characters
At least, their favourite according to an Oricon poll (Japanese text, English Kotaku item here) of 1,000 people, though for the most part it's a "Who are your favourite Mario or Square-Enix characters?" list. The list in full, with several ties:
  • 10 - Squall (Final Fantasy)
  • 10 - Yuna (Final Fantasy)
  • 10 - Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
  • 8 - Toad (Mario Kart)
  • 8 - Doraemon (Doraemon)
  • 7 - Chocobo (Final Fantasy)
  • 4 - Slime (Dragon Quest)
  • 4 - Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
  • 4 - Pikachu (Pokémon)
  • 3 - Yoshi (Mario)
  • 2 - Cloud (Final Fantasy)
  • 1 - Mario (Mario)
Interestingly, four of the top five (or top six, technically) are in Smash Brothers Brawl, so they should really work on getting Cloud in the next one for completeness. Assuming they pay attention to random polls that don't really mean much, of course.

I was a little surprised to see no villains on there (unless that was specified in the question), particularly some of the iconic ones like Sephiroth. If I was being picky (and I do enjoy being picky) I wouldn't count generic creatures like Slime or Chocobo, which as far as I know are more general creatures that populate worlds than a specific character within them, and I'd also discount characters who get a lot of their personality from outside of games (such as Pikachu and, unless I'm mistaken, Doraemon). That's probably a good reason for me never to run polls though, people would keep giving me the wrong answers...

As it kind of ties into PSXE's new Best of the Best feature (which it seems won't have character polls), does anybody feel like sharing their top five?
Funny you should say that, as Shigeru Miyamoto is the same douchebag who said he didn't even know that Ratchet and Clank existed. :p

That's an interesting list, isn't professor layton from one of those brain age type games or something similar?
I can easily see Miyamoto being generally too involved with Nintendo to play his competitors' products, unless it's original and groundbreaking enough to prompt colleagues to show it to him. As much as I like Ratchet and Clank it wouldn't really qualify as such a game, especially with it being from a US developer.

Professor Layton is a puzzle-type game, but it has several games in the series and according to Wikipedia there's also a manga and a live action film in the works. Apparently he's quite big over there, unless a lot of people asked defaulted to listing characters from games they had recently played or something.
Cloud, Sephiroth, Ratchet, Hworang (from Tekken), and Solid Snake. Those are my favorite/most immersive characters I've played. I guess that it's not really much of a Iconic list but it's characters who have really drawn me to a game. And Hworang is on their cause he's just been my favorite from the Tekken series.
(Quote from Men In Black)
Edwards
: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.
Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:I can easily see Miyamoto being generally too involved with Nintendo to play his competitors' products, unless it's original and groundbreaking enough to prompt colleagues to show it to him. As much as I like Ratchet and Clank it wouldn't really qualify as such a game, especially with it being from a US developer.

Professor Layton is a puzzle-type game, but it has several games in the series and according to Wikipedia there's also a manga and a live action film in the works. Apparently he's quite big over there, unless a lot of people asked defaulted to listing characters from games they had recently played or something.

Don't get me wrong, I could never hold it against him if he said he's never played it, I know he's a busy man. However, he said he'd never HEARD of it, there was an article talking about how R&C (which I love by the way) did the whole planet you could walk on all the way around deal (like SMG), and he said he'd never heard of R&C. I am convinced he was being a petty liar.

I know that Ratchet and Clank is actually pretty popular in Japan as far as games go as well, at least from what I've heard.

He also said the idea of guns in twisted metal was stupid. Do you remember the gem with David Jaffe totally taking an appopriate stab at Mario Kart saying the same thing? I thought it was hilarious, and one of the few times a game developer cut the bullshit, lol.

So I have a wee bit of a bone to pick with Miyamoto, I personally don't think much of him nowadays. Games, ego, attitude.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last game you completed. frostface 13 3,339 04-20-2018, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Spartan119
  PSXE Game Club (Possible Spoilers) frostface 2 1,626 04-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: frostface
  Last Game You Beat? TrueAssassin86x 2 1,693 05-20-2017, 02:56 AM
Last Post: Spartan119
  Most valuable game? farfus 47 12,874 02-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Last Post: farfus
  What cartoon would you make a game out of? antscrubber 23 7,330 02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Last Post: SHADOW
  SHADOW's PC game wish list SHADOW 13 3,071 09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Superjew
  Sunny plays his first PC game in years (spore) Mr. SunburnMan 61 9,614 09-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Dead Space Boss Fight Video...Gruesome!!! Kilik 7 2,504 09-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Superjew
  Far Cry 2 Map Editor Video joshhodg 1 1,217 08-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SHADOW
  Video Game World Records. FTheMan 0 1,430 06-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Last Post: FTheMan