Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
has anyone here used Linux on the PS3?
im thinking of installing it...

im going to buy a new BIG int HDD, so i figured i wouldnt loose anything by trying to install yellowdog Linux...

has anyne tried it?

any advice?

Smile

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. 

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
Do you know if AVIs and the like work on it? I'm still waiting for divx to get installed.
DivX on PS3 or in Linux? It already been out for a while for the PS3
Just use an FAT32 formatted external hdd to transfer movies from computer to PS3. Plug n Play is what they call it. =)

I want to try and install Linux myself, I heard emus work on it and VLC player which plays pretty much everything.

Here is some information I've found:
Tutorial on what to do and what you need
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/502201
[Image: Xenogears_XenogearsID_facing_720.jpg]
Xenogears vs Xenogears-ID

Now Playing:
  • PS3: White Knight Chronicles 2
  • Wii: Xenoblade Chronicle
  • Where did all these Chronicles come from?

cheers BB, thats a good site, ive been ther a lot lately.

a lot of the mirrors arent working for the iso download which is a massive 3.3gig!!

but I have found a 60 part download on Rapidshare, so im going to try and get that and burn it to disk...

theres so much that can be done with Linux installed, I would like to try it before I change my int HDD, and if it works well then i'll do it for the new HDD.

I wish I knew where to get the ISO in one chunk that didnt take 432 hours!!!!!

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. 

Why not download it with torrent program, torrent downloading is not illegal just some of the content that is out there is illegally shared through it. Plus YDL is free software anyway. It will probably speed up the download time for you.
[Image: Xenogears_XenogearsID_facing_720.jpg]
Xenogears vs Xenogears-ID

Now Playing:
  • PS3: White Knight Chronicles 2
  • Wii: Xenoblade Chronicle
  • Where did all these Chronicles come from?

That's what I was thinking, it should be available on a torrent and if it's popular then your download speed is limited pretty much only by your own connection.
its available loads on torrent, and im certainly not apposed to using it legally or not..

just that ive found torrents PAINFULLY slow.... mind you, over 400 hours is slow!

maybe i will give it another go, lol....

i considered it for awhile but then decided what's the point? my PC is like 2 feet from my PS3.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
yeh, i would like to steam games on the ps3, plus the PS3 is WAY more powerful than the pc we have.

plus im just damn curious.

with the wackiness of the PS3 processor I don't know how steam games would work out. I think they would be really messed up.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]