Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipeout HD
So who here is gonna pick this Thursday?
Who here wants to play?

I will be spamming the PSN store for the update like the people who spam their email for HOME beta invites. I want to be one of the very first people to download it in the US, get my a** online and to kick a** and not bother to take names!
:rox:

This for me is the first title release I've been waiting for since getting my PS3, the other being Final Fantasy XIII. I have longed to play a new Wipeout game on a console that should be on par with what Wipeout and Wipeout XL were. Wipeout 3 was mediocre, although vastly superior to Wipeout 64 and Wipeout Fusion.

By all rights since playing the first Wipeout 11 years ago, I have waited for this day... Waited for the day I could play against the world to put my skills to the test. For 11 years I've raced under AG Systems, and I shall continue that tradition this Thursday

In preperations for Wipeout HD, my gaming this week until the release shall be dedicated to Wipeout, Wipeout XL, and Wipeout Fusion. Anyone who's played Wipeout knows the game is -=FAST! and quite a test of reflexes and learning to not blink! Blinking means you die!

So, Thursday is the biggest game day of the year for me, and without doubt I want to be ready for it.
So let the retraining process on ---=PHANTOM begin!

Oh, and I've already had my Wipeout HD custom soundtrack ready to go, so I'll be beyond prepared for Thursday! Cool

Team
- AG SYSTEMS -

Pilot
Zapix
- Zapix™ Systems -
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Some of you shall be missed though! I think you few know who you are Smile
A few of you are actually on my PSN list at that! Cool
I'll definitely get it on Thursday as well. I still think Wipeout XL is one of the best racing games ever, and I never got a chance to play any Wipeouts past that entry. I can't wait. Smile
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
did you never play the PS2 Wipeout Fusion? that was cool..

yep, count me in.. ive played everyone of the wipeouts, owned them all.. and i suck at them, so consider me as fodder Wink

anyway, hopefully that and Megaman will come to the UK PSN this week Big Grin Big Grin
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
Oh yeah, and another note to my love for Wipeout... For years now, I've retained a second copy of original Wipeout for the playstation in the old cardboard boxes they used to come in... Unopened. Yes, brand spanking new inside there. Kind of a Wipeout treasure Cool
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

You
Me
Bumping uglies till someone wins.

I'll take you anytime and anyplace in Wipeout.

I can't wait. I've been waiting for an online Wipeout since Fusion came out on the PS2 years ago. Got a friend in England that I have to play against. We used to beat each other senseless talk about this game on the GameFAQS forums long time ago on who was better.
XL was always my favorite.

Oh I'll be there, be ready.
"I'm the body with the coroner, Many friends yet still a loner."

"Black then white are all i see in my infancy. Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me."
I am The Giver. Thank you Tool.
*loads up mp3: FLUKE - ATOM BOMB*

For the last 2 hours I've been pumping out nonstop Wipeout games, and I have to go back on a few things!

I've just played Wipeout, Wipeout XL, and Wipeout Fusion...

Being more 'next gen' than I was back in the day. I never did accept the PS2 era very well over the PS1. I definately liked the graphics alot more, but for whatever reason I had trouble enjoying the games.

Looking back, I can't be for certain, BUT, I think the answer lies within the change from the old D-Pad to the analog sticks. Fast forward several years, where I pretty much lothe the D-Pad, and much more used to pretty graphics, and more 'intense' gameplay.

wipEout - The original is without one of the best racing games I ever played, and soundtrack is one of my favorites from the games. I first had this on SEGA Saturn as I didn't have a Playstation until 2 years later. At the time, 11 years ago I dominated Wipeout with any and all disregard for logic, crushing the computer without having to think about it. Needless to say, I loved the game, and played it religiously over everything else. My best friend and myself at the time had become aware of the game through the movie HACKERS, which displayed the game a little differently, but it was instantly a favorite.

*load MP3: DJ SASHA - XPANDER*

wipEout XL - Fast forward 2 years. I returned home after living in Montana for a year. After much gaming on the Playstation out there with my ex fiancee, I was sold on the Sony platform. Sega had long let me down, Nintendo was so 'yesterday' after the SNES. It wasn't long till I got my hands on Wipeout and Wipeout XL for the Playstation. Wipeout XL ended taking my spot as the favorite of the two games. Faster, newer, much more challenging than the original. With a soundtrack that simply kicked a**, the game was definately a WINNER! In my love for Wipeout XL, 'XL' also ended up an addon to my online name, Zapix, often going by Zapix XL for many years.

*load MP3: COLD STORAGE - CAIRODOME*

wipEout 3 [ aka Wip3out ] - I don't have Wipeout 3 anymore as it was basically stolen so to speak. The game as I recall was damn good, sporting some great new tracks. The soundtrack was mediocre in parts, but not terrible. I eventually loaned it to a friend... I never saw it again, or my so called friend.

wipeout 64 - The Wipeout for the Nintendo 64. Nintendo still being mindlessly lost in a gaming industry that had long moved onto CDs was still tinkering with cartridges. This actually made for a really crappy Wipeout game. The soundtrack not only sucked, but the game was pretty horrible. I might have played it for a day or two, but I never did get used to it. In the end, it got set aside with countless numbers of games I just never connected with.

*load MP3: COLD STORAGE - ONYX*

wipEout Fusion - Wipeout finally debuted on the PS2, and brought with it new graphics, and much more intense racing. I found my saved game which showed I didn't connect with Wipeout Fusion very well though. Infact, aside from buying it, I don't have much memory of playing it. The save file proves that. It seems I completed a about 10 races total, and really never took the game anywhere.

In the end, I stuck by Wipeout and Wipeout XL. Eventually Wipeout became historical for me, and I figured I'd never see another Wipeout game. No other Wipeout game made the consoles. After the 2001 release of Fusion, Wipeout made it's way to the PSP as Wipeout Pure, and 2 years later Wipeout Fusion (with the US release earlier this year). All this while fans of Wipeout have waited for Wipeout HD.

*load MP3: THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS - LEAVE HOME*

Here we are, about 64 hours away from the US release of Wipeout HD on the Playstation Store (less than that for the UK and Asia)...

Without doubt I am excited... Too excited for words really. Where as MGS fans excitedly awaited MGS4, GTA4 fans sat outside game stores till midnight to get their copy (which I did too, although not an GTA fan), THIS is my day of waiting come to an end. I will be without doubt childishly spamming the store a good part of the later afternoon, early evening looking for the release. I want to be, with no questions asked, one of the very first people in the US (i'm talking like one of the first 10!) to have it downloaded and playing.

*load MP3 - FLUKE - ABSURD (EXTENDED)*

With years of letting my skills rust and fade, I am out of practice... Perhaps silly, but I feel my pride as a wipeout racer is at stake here... 11 years I've wanted to challenge the world to give it my all. Sadly, my all right now is how much wall I can eat!

FAST FORWARD 11 YEARS AND MY VIEWS OF WIPEOUT HAVE CHANGED!

wipEout - Still a solid game, but I completely, totally, and utterly hate the controls. The D-Pad is so 20th century. The button layout is definately annoying, and I didn't even try to see if I could tweak it. Unlike later Wipeout games, you don't have a health gauge. You are 'immortal' which is definately a plus, but sucks the challenge out of it. The soundtrack still is a favorite. Wipeout, as troublesome as I found it, is still very much a favorite, even if for historical reasons only.

wipEout XL - I didn't even get through the first lap, and I was blown up. The first thoughts go through my head... "I suck" and "damn this game is hella hard with weapons!" So I went back to the main menu and started tweaking the settings. Initially I fixed it so I could use weapons with SQUARE instead of CIRCLE, which is where I found Wipeout annoying. I just couldn't hit the button well without backing off the X button and losing speed. Now in SQUARE, I found the game becoming easier. I could fire off weapons with much more ease than before, allowing me to focus more on the real task... RACING! After 2 races, I went back tweaking the settings one more time to turn the weapons off and focus purely on racing. Wipeout XL's change in sound effects was not soft as those in Wipeout, but the soundtrack remains a killer! One of the best soundtracks for any racing game even by today's standards if you ask me. But then... I like techno/trance/dance music, and 99% of people I know hate it.

*load MP3 - SCOOTER - IMAGINARY BATTLE*

wipEout Fusion - SHOW ME THE MONEY! :rox: Cool :hail:
After years of putting this game into graveyard, I've pulled it out once again. I look back now and know what I didn't like about it... It was too new for me, it was bordering 'next gen' racing, and in comparison, it redefines Wipeout. Behold the debut of ZONE! :eek: Behold a new system for the courses and progression! Wipeout Fusion was setting a new standard, and I didn't want to accept the change. Years later... I welcome this change. Straight up, straight down, twisty turning, the kind of rollercoaster racing we've come to expect to see this Thursday... The soundtrack is definately not my favorite, but I'll survive.

*load MP3 - KRAFTWERK - AERO DYNAMIK*

wipEout PURE - Wipeout Pure was the first in the series to become portable. Released on the Sony PSP in 2005. It had been 3 years since a Wipeout game graced us. It featured everything that one would recall from Wipeout Fusion, with plenty of teams, tracks, and downloadable content. The graphics were nicely done, and contained a reletively decent soundtrack. One of the things that make Pure really nice was the remake of several old tracks from the original Wipeout.

wipEout PULSE - Wipeout Pulse was released in December last year, making it's way to the US two months later (February 2008). Pulse changed the name of the game. With a new progression system through grid ranking and points, the way the game was played changed for better or worse. The soundtrack was definately lacking though. I would go as far as saying it might be the worst of the soundtracks. The game also for the very first time featured online play! The online play was much a failure though as few people were ever seen online playing. Another thing worth noting, Sony released downloadable packs in the UK around the same time the game was released in the US. These packs never reached the US, and has upset many fans of the game.

*load MP3 - KERNKRAFT - ZOMBIE NATION*

My retraining process shall continue purely though Wipeout Fusion as I feel this is closer to what Wipeout is now than the older PS1 games. Wipeout Fusion has gained lead position for me in the console Wipeout games, but a little late as it's about to be sent to the graveyard for eternity this Thursday. Now the question is, how much can I get in in the 2 and 1/2 days I have until Wipeout HD is released, and will it be enough to give me the results I want.

Rarely do I aim to be 'the best' in a game. Wipeout is an exception to this. And THIS is one of those rare moments.

[Image: wipEoutHDLARGE.jpg]
wow zapix. just wow.

I am excited for the game but i probably won't get around to picking it up until the weekend as I have to work. But it definitely looks fun.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
SHADOW Wrote:wow zapix. just wow.

I am excited for the game but i probably won't get around to picking it up until the weekend as I have to work. But it definitely looks fun.

haha, the only thing I might pause the game for if for anything at all ("who needs food, I got wipeout hd!") will be to post a review too fast for Ben to handle! :W:

Phantom Class Review! :lol:

So fast, that if you blink, you'll miss what I had to say! Rolleyes

Im only saying this as I think you will appreciate it.. I have one of nine copies of a ltd edition Wipeout Fusion. I say nine.. they may not exist anymore.. so it could be even rarer.

Anyway, the disks are one of the game and one which is press release material. The box is the star of the show.. Remember the box art of Wipeout fusion? It was Wipeout ship racing towards you.. Well this box h a (I think) 6 or 7 layered hologram of it, so as you tilt the box the ship is racing towards you. The box itself is a thick cardboard sleeve which the double game box slips in to….

Its very sweet.

The sweetest thing is that I swapped it for my old copy of Dynasty Warriors on the PS2 (the first of the DW games on that console)… the guy I got it off knew the promotional company who made these nine boxes, and he got given one.. while the others were given out to the industry. He hated Wipeout and was very happy to swap it.

I think he regrets it now, I wouldn’t say its worth a lot.. Depends if you love Wipeout or not. But these things are well worth keeping, like your Wipeout 1 in the cardboard box, well worth keeping.

Anyway, see you on the race track.. and if you happen to lap me, slow down a lil so I can shoot you, thanks!!
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
dillonthebunny Wrote:I think he regrets it now, I wouldn’t say its worth a lot.. Depends if you love Wipeout or not. But these things are well worth keeping, like your Wipeout 1 in the cardboard box, well worth keeping.

Sounds like one cool collectors piece you have there! Cool And as you say, the value is set by the people interested in it. Sure, my old Wipeout game might be worth like $5 (if even that), but to me, it's not something I would just give up! Maybe somebody it could pry it from my cold dead hands, but that wouldn't be too hard, I'd be gripping onto a set of 11 CDs that are my personal treasure.

Quote:Anyway, see you on the race track.. and if you happen to lap me, slow down a lil so I can shoot you, thanks!!

:lol:

nah, I won't lap you. I'll just come up behind you right before lapping you and use you as target practice! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wipeout HD update: Dont download it! dillonthebunny 0 1,737 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  wipeout HD keeps freezing on me! chicko1983 0 1,728 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Reinstalling Welcome back Wipeout not working Helgso 0 3,243 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: