Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipeout HD
Zapix Wrote:YES! I got it!

I've played 1 single player game, 3 games online (2nd, 2nd, and 4th), and 1 Zone (reached 23)

As I said, I'd post a review too fast for Ben!

My review...

IT'S THE RUSH OF A LIFETIME!
THE ULTIMATE RACING GAME IS ONLY ON THE PS3

Arnold is doing the review. I've heard nothing but good things, though. I have it now; I'll play it later after I get some news done. Work comes first. Wink

P.S. Took me exactly 51 minutes to download and install the game.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
Huh, took me only about 40 mins to download the thing.
So far I am impressed. Going to have to go download some of the old music from XL to put in here because this isn't doing anything for me. It's not as fast as I remember it being, although that could be because I am playing a lower level of difficulty to get my feeling back into the game.
Zones is completely different then what I remember. Did it have this whole color changing thing that made me see all of the same color everywhere when done? I think I'm out of it...

Good spend for 20 dollars. And it has trophies!
Zapix, I'm going to add you in the morning.
"I'm the body with the coroner, Many friends yet still a loner."

"Black then white are all i see in my infancy. Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me."
I am The Giver. Thank you Tool.
Well, the game is completely awesome, and I really only have two problems so far: 1. when in the first-person mode, you really can't see enough; it becomes an issue on tougher tracks, so I have to change to another view. 2. is it me, or is the air brake super sensitive? I think I can change that, though, can't I? I saw I could alter sensitivity in the options.

Anyway, I went through the first event in the campaign, getting Gold on all 6 events. But I was using the Pilot Assist and it was only on Novice mode, so I guess that doesn't mean much. Things are already a lot harder in the second event...I have a feeling that towards the end, I'll just be trying to pass with Bronze and Gold won't be feasible. LOL

Not as big a fan of the music as I thought I'd be. Guess I'd forgotten just how mind-numbingly repetitive techno is. I'm thinking about taking off the Pilot Assist to actually use that air brake effectively...with the thing automatically steering away from walls, it kinda throws me off. Oh, and I really like the default controls just fine. Totally sweet. Smile
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
im in awe of the game, just fantastic.

i need to settle down and choose a ship though, i just dont know which to use... Mirage is my fav, but its a bit plain and bring.. but its a steady eddy...
Hmmm, anyway now on the Frenzy, and have that ship unlocked and i have to say, it might be lacking in some areas, but so far its my fav. ..The Harimau or something?

ps..what about ZONE eh?? ..eh!!!!
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
Well, I pumped out hours of the single player mode today to get a feel for it, abandoning my original plan to go all-out online. plowed through the first round of races, the second set gave me a problem or two using AG Systems in a few spots, so I switched over to Piranha to shave off a second or so to go from Silver to Gold. Worked my way up to Vertigo, doing a few of the races, but left it at that. I will attack those tomorrow perhaps. Scored a bunch of trophies, although it pains me to say I pumped out a good 4 hours nonstop at 2 of those trophies, and still have nothing to show. Those two would be...

Double Kill - eliminate 2 ships in a single race
Flatland Flyer - do a barrel roll on Moa Therma

Problem with Double Kill is, these ships have a few tons of shielding. After 4 hours of nonstop Moa Therma racing trying to kill 2 ships, I gave up. It's a matter of luck for the most part. There's no way to disable the GREEN pickups such as Turbo, Shield, Auto-Pilot... Which it almost seems rigged to give you nothing but those the moment you blow up one of the ships. Funny... Never get Turbo when you want it, and when you don't want it, you can't stop getting it.

I spent all the time on Moa Therma also trying to get this trophy in which you have to get your ship off the ground to do a barrel roll. Problem is, there's really no spot I can find to make it work. A few people have gotten it it seems, and while I've searched for a youtube video or any info on HOW to do it, I've seen nothing yet. Too new!

But without delay... What I really have to say!

A year ago I came home with my Playstation 3. The first thing I really did was go on the Playstation Network and download tons of demos, trailers, etc. I knew nothing about the PS3 really other than Final Fantasy XIII was coming to it. That was it. At that time I saw my first bits of Wipeout HD... And seeing as you've probably figured out by now... I have history with Wipeout and love the series. A year later... It's here... FINALLY! Delay after delay... Was it worth all the wait and the $20 price tag?

WIPEOUT HD

Wipeout HD loads and gives you the grand daddy of all EPILEPTIC SEIZURE WARNING! warnings you've ever seen. This no doubt I think confirms why the game was delayed, and seems they perhaps never quite totally fixed the problem. Personally, I think it adds to the whole, making it look like a much more serious game than others! :lol:

The menus are somewhat bright, but pretty much easy to navigate. You have your single player career mode, a free play mode, online, options, and a very brief manual on the game.

Career mode is pretty straight forward. You go through a series of events in a league so to speak. As you win medals, the number of events expands, giving you more to do. This is meant to keep the players skill growth paced. This was first introduced to Wipeout back with the release of Wipeout Fusion. I think it's a big improvement. You'll find everything from single races, tournaments, Zone, time trials, and best lap time.

Single player mode lets you pretty much pick and choose what you want to do. These events are also somewhat controlled by what you've done in career mode, so don't expect to find every track open from the start. You gotta work in the career mode for it! You'll also find a difficulty setting here to change the skill level of the AI. This can make even the slow paced leagues hard for the experienced players on the hardest setting.

Online play is what other Wipeout fans, such as myself have really been waiting for. A chance to show off our skills and go against others. One of the key features I noticed about the online play was the voice chat. That's a feature I'm still waiting to be see in GranTurismo 5 Prologue. There are various games to join ranging from tournaments and single races. Each host as control over the race settings, allowing control of the race league, weapons ON/OFF, the track, etc.

The option are pretty much standard stuff. You can customize the controller settings, enable/disable the motion sensor controls, sensitivity of the brakes and thrust. You can setup a custom soundtrack, change some of the ingame settings such as weapons ON/OFF, pilot assistance for newer players, and a few other things. There's also the ability to change the look of the HUD, but until you unlock them, you're stuck with the Wipeout HD HUD as the only choice.

Gameplay can be pretty difficult for those new to Wipeout, but with the new feature of pilot assistance it changes things quite a bit. The feature itself tries to keep you off from running off the track or hitting walls. It's not flawless, but nobody should expect it to be. The controls themselves are pretty straight forward, which can be complicated if you decide to use the motion sensor feature. Those familiar with the series will find a very crisp handling game with plenty of things to stay occupied as noted above.

The graphics of the game perhaps are one of the best features of all. They're simply eye popping! Start playing the ZONE mode, and you'll start to see why there's a gigantic epilepsy warning on the game. It's simply mind blowing, but it doesn't show off the race tracks for what they really look like. The tracks are created very neatly with plenty of detail with different patterns and environments, giving unique distinction to them. It has a native 1080p resolution with 60 frames per second. What does that all mean? Well, it means if your TV supports it (and having a PS3 I hope it does!), you'll see the a spectacular eye candy graphics and color to go with the already incredible game that it is.

The soundtrack can be argued if it's better or worse than the other Wipeout soundtracks. The soundtrack is a partial rip from Wipeout Pulse for the PSP. The music genre being my personal favorite, I think they could have done ALOT better. Sadly, this soundtrack is more like insult to techno aside from the song by Kraftwerk (the song is also used in trailer Sony put up on the PSN store). While I think the music is definately poorly executed, they could have done alot worse. My guess is just for licensing alone, they tend to lean in a direction that's effectively cheap? The fact the game has custom soundtracks though completely makes the soundtrack view void of any value or damage to the game. In the end, I think most people will use their own soundtracks anyway.

Now, all this comes in at a cost of $20, and it's a download only exclusive on the Playstation store. Is Wipeout HD worth $20? What would you say if I told you Wipeout HD is worth the standard price of a PS3 game in the store? That's right, a game with $60 retail at the tiny cost of $20. It's a MUST own for those who like racing games, and would definately be one of those "defining titles" for the Playstation 3 we keep hearing so much about recently. It was well worth every day for this incredible title.

I won't give a number score to rate it though. Giving it a perfect 10 would seem too much (and being a fan of the series, I don't know if that 10 would be completely unbiased), and yet giving it less than a perfect 10 would make be believe it's somehow flawed (which I don't think it is at all honestly). Wipeout HD at least in my personal opinion, the flagship title of racing games for the Playstation 3. Perhaps one might argue GranTurismo 5 into there for obvious reasons, but they are technically completely different games despite being in a similiar genre.

and there you have it. My final say on Wipeout HD. Cool

For the PHANTOM CLASS REVIEW aka CLIFFS NOTES, see my earlier post!
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Some of you shall be missed though! I think you few know who you are Smile
A few of you are actually on my PSN list at that! Cool
certainly the online is WAY smoother in Wipeout than in GT5p!
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
I got to play one track before I went to sleep last night, I am new to the game. I have played WipEout before but not so much.

Got a lot of games to play these days including this of course and even more to come. I have Disgaea 3, LBP beta, SW Force Unleashed. Plus I have 4 games on order.
[Image: Xenogears_XenogearsID_facing_720.jpg]
Xenogears vs Xenogears-ID

Now Playing:
  • PS3: White Knight Chronicles 2
  • Wii: Xenoblade Chronicle
  • Where did all these Chronicles come from?

dillonthebunny Wrote:certainly the online is WAY smoother in Wipeout than in GT5p!

yeah it is, there's no traffic congestion due to a 6 car pile-up at the corner because the lil kids don't know how to f'in turn! :lol: I remember just playing my ex's daughter 1v1 (split screen) and owning her. But I also watched how she played, and she just child mistakes. Full gas all the time, doesn't execute steering control. So I showed her those things. She did get better, but I still owned her! :lol:

It's nice there's no groups of crafts just bundled up stopping you from going. Although bunching up on Wipeout isn't completely safe. Get caught up with the guys at the rear of the race, and expect to be in the middle of an all out weapons match! I find once you get up in the top two, the weapons firing just ends!

Also Zubra-Zap seems to love the game too. I think he spent almost as much time playing last night as I did!
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Ben D. Wrote:Things are already a lot harder in the second event...I have a feeling that towards the end, I'll just be trying to pass with Bronze and Gold won't be feasible. LOL

I'm already at that point as I struggled with all I have to complete the VERTIGO campaign. What a pain in the a**. I just barely squeezed in a silver medal on a fast lap trial, giving me the 1 point I needed to unlock HEAD RUSH. I managed a gold and a silver already in that, but looking at all the time trials and fast laps, I'm pretty much discouraged at this point. I'm having a hell of a time even getting bronze. According to the global records though, I'm in the global top 10 where I am (10 top in the world? wtf?!? :omgSmile... In which, there are barely any people at all. So either people are having a hell of a time with campaign and I'm just that good, or people aren't bothering with campaign. Heh, one of the people in the top 10 with me though is somebody I had been racing yesterday and hung with pretty closely. Everyone else was far behind. So maybe it's skill? :omg: doubt it, but I can dream can't I!

haha, so I just played a 12 race tournament with a full grid, by the time it was over, I had won 10 out of 12 races in 1st place. That was awesome!

Online play is awesome. I find US players are not that common, where as European players are overwhelming in number. Fine by me! Smile Also, gotta love the chat system how you have to press a button to talk, eliminating people who don't tweak their headset and end up with a game full of nonstop background noise and static. Oh and, online play is just hella fun! The online play alone is worth $20. Considering they will be adding track packs and so on, this is definately a game to have!

Blinkboy, FTheman, we'll have to play sometime this weekend maybe Smile I'll try to be gentle if it's a psxe players only race xD Well, that or I can handicap myself with something that handles poorly, and put the maps on reverse (which I'm not used to at all)

Oh, and so far 11 trophies, 1 of which is a silver (10 wins online)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wipeout HD update: Dont download it! dillonthebunny 0 1,738 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  wipeout HD keeps freezing on me! chicko1983 0 1,729 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Reinstalling Welcome back Wipeout not working Helgso 0 3,246 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: