Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are there ANY "Myst" fans out there?!?
I know "Myst" is an old game, but it had as much impact on me as FFVII did. I played this game for HOURS. The story intrigued me so much that I bought the Myst trilogy books. THOSE books are the reason why I read books today! I never enjoyed reading until I started those. And :hail: "Riven", I can't say enough about that game. IMO, Riven was probably my most memorable gaming experience. I spent a full month on that - neglecting homework from school, friends who wanted to hang out, other hobbies, I didn't care - I just had to play it!

Anyway, if you share in my appreciation for one of the best game series of the past, tell us your most memorable moments from these games. They're old enough that I don't think we have to worry about spoilers (except for Myst V - I haven't started that yet...I know I know...:o).

Also (side note!) for you LBP owners out there - I made two levels that are tributes to Myst and Riven: "Little Myst Planet" and "Little Riven Planet." They were my first and second levels. Enjoy!
There has to be someone on this site that liked Myst & Riven...

[Image: Riven20061126193923.jpg]
here's a couple more to look at.... for those of you who have never played Riven, here is a small taste of what you missed:

[Image: riven_05.jpg]

[Image: riven_coverartwork.jpg]

[Image: riven-09.jpg]

[Image: jungle.jpg]

[Image: riven008.jpg]
I used to be big on the whole Myst series until multiplayer gaming took over my life (got through Myst, Riven, but only sampled the other Myst games). I'm hoping I'll be able to sit down for a few days and play through all the games when I get time.

Although I must say the story of Myst is VERY captivating to me especially after reading the 3 books and was hoping for a 4th one, but that never came to light. I still have a torn Best Buy ad from 2000 as a bookmark in my copy of "Book of Ti'ana". Tongue
I've got the Myst games in both, my Atari Jaguar 64 bit CD unit & my PS1 collections, & also have Riven for my PS1.

Just maybe I was too young & dumb, because I could never get far into them. I think I might've gotten out of the fog long enough to find some kind of building, but then was never able to do anything more once there. And that fustrated me so much, that I put them back on the shelf & never touched them again.

Wow, the pics you posted are great, so I think I'll go back & see if I can figure out what the hell's going on in the games.

So either I'll get myself farther into the game(hopefully), or just find that I'm now just older & dumber(probably), LOL
BikerSaint Wrote:I've got the Myst games in both, my Atari Jaguar 64 bit CD unit & my PS1 collections, & also have Riven for my PS1.

Just maybe I was too young & dumb, because I could never get far into them. I think I might've gotten out of the fog long enough to find some kind of building, but then was never able to do anything more once there. And that fustrated me so much, that I put them back on the shelf & never touched them again.

Wow, the pics you posted are great, so I think I'll go back & see if I can figure out what the hell's going on in the games.

So either I'll get myself farther into the game(hopefully), or just find that I'm now just older & dumber(probably), LOL

Wow people do actually remember this series!! lol Ok, BikerSaint, you just need to do what I do - use the strategy guide. There's no shame in that Cool When I played these games years ago I'd work at it for a month or more and refuse to use the guides - but now that I'm older (and wiser!), I just get more enjoyment out of the games if I just use the guide (especially in Myst IV). Those guides are actually well written too - they come at it from a story perspective. I think now that I'm older I appreciate these games for their story and their mind numbing puzzles. Years ago I just thought, "whoa, awesome graphics!" Interestingly enough, these games were developed for an "older" audience - little did they know that such a wide base of gamers (back then) would love these games.

Speaking of the story, Skilov, I read all three books as well - good times Smile It's a shame that 4th one never materialized.

Anyway, I like puzzle solving games, so ever since LBP I've been working on a tribute to Myst - LBP style. I'm almost done with the level I am most proud of: Real Myst:The Stoneship Age. I think I've captured the essence of the original game, but made it simple enough for Sackboy to finish in one sitting. If you play LBP, look for this level in the next week or so and let me know what you think!
I think Myst was one of the first games I had ever played for the PC. I think I was around the age of 10? maybe, not sure, so I always had a tough time getting though the game. Even my dad would play with me from time to time and we'd work on it together. Was a lot of fun.

But you know, I never thought about getting a guide for those games. I would love to complete at least one of them, especially the first.. but I doubt they even have a guide for a game so old, idk.

I also remember getting Uru: Ages Beyond Myst when it came out in 2003. I was so excited because it was my first game that I could use on our first gaming rig. (Think it was a 250gig Dell XPS, so it was pretty damn amazing and expensive back then, but now you could probably laugh at it, since you can pretty much buy a terabyte for like 300 bucks or whatever they go for now). I wanted to get back into Myst again because I loved every moment about the first even though I was too stupid to get through it all. And because I was about 15 years old or so, I thought I might be able to do it this time around. But no, URU was a pain in the ass too lol.

But maybe I’ll give Riven a try (and with a guide this time). Or even the old Myst. If there’s no written guide, I’m sure there has got to be some sort of walkthough online.

Anyways, thanks for sharing. This was a great post!
I played Myst back in 1994/1995 on my old Macintosh LC520. I'd play the other two, but I "never got around to it." Is there some kind I compilation I can get for my iMac or a PlayStation console?
Like Jordahn, I played the original Myst title on my mac. Hehe, mine was a Quadra 605 I purchased in college. Damn, I sure did love the game, too. As I remember, it came with a book, so you could write down any clues and discoveries. While this came in handy, I found myself writing super-small, because I didn't know just how long the game was. So, in the end, it was hard as hell to read my notes, and I ended up winging it most of the time through the game. I can't really explain why I didn't end up playing up the follow-on Myst titles or Riven, but I'd like to take up where I left off...

Powershifter, would you mind writing a few several-line reviews of the Myst series titles, since you're probably the most familiar with them? It would be greatly appreciated, bro... As long as the follow-on titles kept the same high puzzling/mystery standards of the first title, I'd very much like to continue the series.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. George Bernard Shaw
Daedusian Wrote:But maybe I’ll give Riven a try (and with a guide this time). Or even the old Myst. If there’s no written guide, I’m sure there has got to be some sort of walkthough online.

Anyways, thanks for sharing. This was a great post!

Most of the Myst stuff is hard to find anymore, but the first place I would check is ebay. I bought a Riven guide from there several months ago because I was working on a Riven level in LBP - plus I never owned the guide so I wanted to complete my collection.

I think Myst was one of my first PC games as well - I was in 7th grade (probably 12 or 13 years old?). Good memories Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Okay, RPG fans...your top 5 RPGs ever! Ben D. 72 15,756 10-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Rodan