Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
What Are You Playing Right Now?
I kind of walked away from the Assassin's Creed games. I completed Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2 100% because I'm the kind of person who has that completionist mindset, but then while I was doing the same in Brotherhood they released Revelations and announced Assassin's Creed III, and the series was just getting too far ahead of me. I was going to say I haven't owned an AC game since Brotherhood, but Steam being Steam means that I've picked up Revelation, III and Black Flag in sales, and Xbox Live gave me Syndicate this month in Games with Gold...

Even by Brotherhood though I was a little disappointed with how easy they made the combat. The original AC was such an empty game that I was making my own fun by attracting every guard I could find in that hub area, and then only fighting them once I had them all together. Even then I was only using the wristblade, which in that game had no attack or defence so you were entirely dependent upon perfect counters. In AC2 da Vinci upgrades it so you can attack and defend with it just like a dagger and you also have medicine to instantly top up your health, then Brotherhood adds those execution kills so that all you need to do is kill one mook and after that just keep pressing a button to chain kill everybody else. But then Brotherhood also lets you use a massive two-handed sword as a throwing weapon, so Ezio has full-on superpowers by that point.
Playing:
PC: Shadow of War
PS4: Uncharted 3 | Monster Hunter World | Game of Thrones
Switch: Breath of the Wild | Dragon Quest Builders | Mario + Rabbids
XB1: ReCore | Sea of Thieves | Rise of the Tomb Raider
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Benny (Macho)'s post:
  • frostface
(04-21-2018, 06:16 AM)The Benny (Macho) Wrote: I kind of walked away from the Assassin's Creed games. I completed Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2 100% because I'm the kind of person who has that completionist mindset, but then while I was doing the same in Brotherhood they released Revelations and announced Assassin's Creed III, and the series was just getting too far ahead of me. I was going to say I haven't owned an AC game since Brotherhood, but Steam being Steam means that I've picked up Revelation, III and Black Flag in sales, and Xbox Live gave me Syndicate this month in Games with Gold...

Even by Brotherhood though I was a little disappointed with how easy they made the combat. The original AC was such an empty game that I was making my own fun by attracting every guard I could find in that hub area, and then only fighting them once I had them all together. Even then I was only using the wristblade, which in that game had no attack or defence so you were entirely dependent upon perfect counters. In AC2 da Vinci upgrades it so you can attack and defend with it just like a dagger and you also have medicine to instantly top up your health, then Brotherhood adds those execution kills so that all you need to do is kill one mook and after that just keep pressing a button to chain kill everybody else. But then Brotherhood also lets you use a massive two-handed sword as a throwing weapon, so Ezio has full-on superpowers by that point.

I know exactly what you mean. I played as far as Brotherhood, started Revelations but didn't finish and then said I was done with the series. I was even skeptical up until Black Flag but the pull of being a pirate sailing around the in tall ships was just too alluring and the series earned a lot of good will from me once again,which it then blew with Unity. I got Syndicate cheap in a sale and it had reviewed well enough but once again I couldn't finish it. Origins looked promising after taking the time off to rejuvenate the series but it's boring and repetitive. I think it's the reason why I like Syndicate better. The biggest complaint about most Ubisoft games imo is they fill the map up with too much crap distracting from the main story but at least there was always something to do  Origins is just too empty and large.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: @thebadbearddude

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
I finished up I and II and played a lot of Brotherhood before burning out. I've gone back to the series repeatedly over the years because, as Benny points out, Steam sales (and Ubi literally giving away the games) mean I own most of them at this point. I've played a bit of III, Black Flag and Unity, but never finished any of them.

To be honest my favorite in the entire series is probably the 2D metroidvania entry Chronicles: China. It strips the gameplay down to its basics and eschews all the nonsense "game ass game" stuff that is a hallmark of modern Ubi games.
Struggling to get into God of War but everyone says the kids gets less annoying and more useful later in the game so I'll keep on trucking on. After jumping into AC Syndicate last week, I decided to see how far into Origin's I am and I've been chipping away at the campaign. Picked up The Surge in the PS sale and I've been getting my arse handed to me. Downloaded FFXIV A Realm Reborn with the intention of buying the latest expansion later tonight. I haven't played that one in ages so thinking I may do a new character.

(04-23-2018, 05:10 AM)frostface Wrote: Struggling to get into God of War but everyone says the kids gets less annoying and more useful later in the game so I'll keep on trucking on.

Unless you're very, very early on then this game might not be for you. The relationship with the boy is the focal point of the entire game, and if you dislike it so much at the beginning that you have to force yourself to play it, then it likely won't ever get to the point where you're enjoying it.

Personally I found that dynamic captivating from the outset, and while Atreus is annoying and mostly useless in the very beginning, that changes within just a few short hours. The combat system is designed around utilizing his abilities (some enemies you won't be able to dispatch at all without his help).

There's no point forcing yourself to play something you're not enjoying, and sometimes it's just not the right time for that one game. I wasn't feeling Horizon at all the first time I bought it, so I just stopped after about five hours. Picked it back up 6 months later and loooooved it, partly because going back to it at that point, my expectations were based on my own experiences and not everyone else telling me I had to love it because they did. Happens to me all the time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spartan119's post:
  • frostface
(04-23-2018, 11:56 AM)Spartan119 Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 05:10 AM)frostface Wrote: Struggling to get into God of War but everyone says the kids gets less annoying and more useful later in the game so I'll keep on trucking on.

Unless you're very, very early on then this game might not be for you. The relationship with the boy is the focal point of the entire game, and if you dislike it so much at the beginning that you have to force yourself to play it, then it likely won't ever get to the point where you're enjoying it.

Personally I found that dynamic captivating from the outset, and while Atreus is annoying and mostly useless in the very beginning, that changes within just a few short hours. The combat system is designed around utilizing his abilities (some enemies you won't be able to dispatch at all without his help).

There's no point forcing yourself to play something you're not enjoying, and sometimes it's just not the right time for that one game. I wasn't feeling Horizon at all the first time I bought it, so I just stopped after about five hours. Picked it back up 6 months later and loooooved it, partly because going back to it at that point, my expectations were based on my own experiences and not everyone else telling me I had to love it because they did. Happens to me all the time.

I couldn't agree more to be honest. I've had that with many games that I've come back to and loved. Just right now all the kid can do is fire some arrows at the enemies and barely build the stun meter. He gets into trouble a lot and I die trying to rescue him. I am really early in the game despite trying my hardest to progress. I also appreciate the quality in this game. Just because I don't like the Kratos and son dynamic, I can see why others are ranting and raving about it. The combat is exhilarating, it's a fantastic looking game and I've a very soft spot for Norse mythology. It's just that bloody kid is killing it for me. I'm not a fan of babysitting in any game, so this isn't exclusive to GoW. Maybe some day I'll come back to it and I'll have shaken off this annoyance. Today just isn't that day.

(04-23-2018, 12:11 PM)frostface Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 11:56 AM)Spartan119 Wrote:

I couldn't agree more to be honest. I've had that with many games that I've come back to and loved. Just right now all the kid can do is fire some arrows at the enemies and barely build the stun meter. He gets into trouble a lot and I die trying to rescue him. I am really early in the game despite trying my hardest to progress. I also appreciate the quality in this game. Just because I don't like the Kratos and son dynamic, I can see why others are ranting and raving about it. The combat is exhilarating, it's a fantastic looking game and I've a very soft spot for Norse mythology. It's just that bloody kid is killing it for me. I'm not a fan of babysitting in any game, so this isn't exclusive to GoW. Maybe some day I'll come back to it and I'll have shaken off this annoyance. Today just isn't that day.

You don't ever need to worry about Atreus to the point that he needs rescuing, and he'll be able to do more than fire arrows (a lot more) in short order. At worst he becomes "incapacitated" and therefore ineffective in battle for a short time. In fact he becomes a key part of the combat within about three hours. So if that's your only sticking point, then yes keep going.

If you don't enjoy the interpersonal dynamic between the two, that probably won't change.
Before God Of War came out I was playing Far Cry 5 again another huge open world game. Done 2 of the 3 main area's before tackling the main guy. I was playing this and swapping with Mad Max when I got bored of one. Mad Max what a game to come to the UK PS + account. Beyond 2 Souls is this months game and Rayman Legends 2 good games but I have already completed them. I'll more than likely give Rayman another go.
So still tipping away with God of War. Upgraded my health and my axe a little bit, feeling a little more badass than before. Still on the fence about the game but I haven't given up yet either. Haven't touched FFXIV all week.

Destiny 2's second expansion (Warmind) coinciding with season three kicks off tonight. I've posted some info over on the main site for anyone that wants some more info about it. https://psxextreme.com/2018/05/06/upcomi...mind-info/ So that's pretty much were I'll be over the next few days. Destiny is one of them game series that I love but we're not on good terms right now. I can't turn a blind eye to its end game failings but whenever I go back after taking some time away, I have the best time. I really want the game sort itself out. I'm hopeful that it will if it takes a leaf out of The Divisions book and completely overhauls itself. It's easy to crap on the dev's for making some really bad decisions on the direction they took D2, and I've done it, but changes are being made and up until The Taken King expansion in the original Destiny, we had a lot to complain about then too. By the end of it's life (ending at the release of D2 though still a lot of players logging in there due to D2 disappointment) D1 was a completely different game from it's original release.

Destiny 2. And most likely for the next few weeks at least.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Are You Playing This Weekend? Spartan119 35 6,220 04-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Spartan119
  What Are You Playing? PC Edition The Benny (Macho) 15 2,802 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Anyone playing Bad Company? dillonthebunny 13 4,141 07-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  Anybody here playing World of Warcraft? RickyP 6 4,886 03-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Isamu69
  What are you playing on? Ryan H. 8 2,680 06-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Mr. SunburnMan
  Playing import games w/o a modchip! jumbo 9 1,799 08-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Stanley
  Are We Geeks Foir Playing Video Games? Reggie White 18 2,738 08-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Reggie White
  Animal Crossing: Anyone Still Playing? Reggie White 11 2,208 08-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Last Post: PlaystationFan
  What fighting game are you most looking forward to playing? ag142 24 3,156 08-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Last Post: ag142
  So which Console Owns Most Of Your Playing Time? PlaystationFan 17 2,582 05-26-2003, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Tosser00