Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
What Are You Playing Right Now?
I don't mind the grind in some games, depending on how they implement it, but I definitely won't put up with that in games you pay for, that is unacceptable to me.

(10-10-2018, 02:55 PM)T he Benny (Macho) Wrote: I read some positive reviews about Odyssey but those micro-transactions are disgusting. There's no way I'm paying full-price for a game that has inserted a grind so they can stick free-to-play mechanics in to try and manipulate players into paying to skip the grind. I'm officially done with that nonsense.
[Image: 1112078.png]

Origin: Zoryu
UPlay: MattBerial
I haven't noticed any kind of a grind in Odyssey. I mean, more so than usual for an Assassin's Creed game that is.

If you're the type that explores the game to see all of what it has to offer, you likely won't notice any kind of negative grinding. At least, I haven't. Yet.

Anyway, I'm playing some Black Ops 4, Odyssey, and MLB The Show 18. Would love to play against some fellow baseball fans, if anyone here wishes to challenge (and destroy me) in a friendly match. I can pitch fairly well, but can't hit the ball to save my life. So... let's do dis!
I said the same about Shadow of War, I enjoyed my time with it and didn't find it grindy, though by all accounts I didn't reach the point where the game just stops and tells you to grind. Then they removed the loot boxes and had to completely overhaul the game because without the need to try and squeeze cash out of the player they acknowledged that the game just wasn't as fun as it should have been (same as Battlefront 2, though I never played it). Odyssey selling boosts to skip the grind (in the form of scummy free-to-play virtual currencies, no less) tells me they have deliberately designed the game to be less fun so that they can try and nickel-and-dime more money from the average player, and that grind must exist because they are selling the option to skip it. That's on top of selling the game for full-price, the half-dozen special editions, the season pass and the promotional tie-ins.

I don't mind a grind in games. I'm literally going to log onto World of Warcraft after I've posted this to grind more faction reputation doing the same quests I've been doing all week, but that's a subscription MMO so of course there's a grind and, crucially, you can't pay to skip it. Adding free-to-play microtransactions to a full-price single-player game that only has a grind so that those microtransactions can be sold is a level of greed I'm just not on board with.
Playing:
PC: Shadow of War
PS4: Uncharted 3 | Monster Hunter World | Game of Thrones
Switch: Breath of the Wild | Dragon Quest Builders | Mario + Rabbids
XB1: ReCore | Sea of Thieves | Rise of the Tomb Raider
Now I also have COD to squeeze into my gaming time too. Enjoying Blackout, Heist was fun tonight not sure on other multiplayer modes yet but started to enjoy it Smile Maybe Odyssey for an hour or 2 then switch to COD once my mate comes online, Monday to Thursday that is as rest of the days I am usually out unless something crops up during the week lol.
I've been dabbling with a lot of games recently, mostly on PC now though.
On PS4, I've been struggling to get into Red Dead Redemption 2.
On PC, well that list is getting longer and longer but I've yet to settle on just one game. Dragon Age Origin on PC looks lovely and I've been really enjoying getting back to that one. I've been trying my hand on Factorio, I'm still getting a feel for it, there's so many different mechanics to try and keep track of. I booted up the single player campaign on Battlefield 4 and that's aged well. Path of Exile is excellent and completely free and soon to be on PS4. I just bought Civilization V last night but need to wrap my head around it.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: @thebadbearddude

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
It's tough playing several games at a time, that was part of the reason I took a long break. Although it's tempting to go back into that routine ive managed to pretty much stick with one game nowadays, give it most of my attention.
(11-10-2018, 08:20 PM)farfus Wrote: It's tough playing several games at a time, that was part of the reason I took a long break. Although it's tempting to go back into that routine ive managed to pretty much stick with one game nowadays, give it most of my attention.

You've hit the nail on the head there. I actually took today off from playing anything. The idea of loading up something was killing me. Some games I've started to find exhausting lately and I believe it's not that there's anything wrong with the games, it's just the feeling of being a bit burned out on em.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: @thebadbearddude

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Are You Playing This Weekend? Spartan119 35 5,906 04-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Spartan119
  What Are You Playing? PC Edition The Benny (Macho) 15 2,762 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Anyone playing Bad Company? dillonthebunny 13 4,072 07-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  Anybody here playing World of Warcraft? RickyP 6 4,850 03-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Isamu69
  What are you playing on? Ryan H. 8 2,639 06-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Mr. SunburnMan
  Playing import games w/o a modchip! jumbo 9 1,761 08-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Stanley
  Are We Geeks Foir Playing Video Games? Reggie White 18 2,700 08-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Reggie White
  Animal Crossing: Anyone Still Playing? Reggie White 11 2,165 08-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Last Post: PlaystationFan
  What fighting game are you most looking forward to playing? ag142 24 3,104 08-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Last Post: ag142
  So which Console Owns Most Of Your Playing Time? PlaystationFan 17 2,527 05-26-2003, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Tosser00