Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Games that make you throw your controller....
OK, it's Friday afternoon and a slow day at work....so....

A question for everyone. What game that you've played in the last year has caused you to throw down your controller more than any other? And...why?

For me it's unquestionably Soul Calibur 4. I have tried to finish that bloody tower of souls so many times...I've some how managed to get to floor 59, but cannot quite finish that level. I have truly lost count of the number of times I have been working on a new level in the tower only the end up throwing the controller onto my desk.

The problem is that the AI cheats. It knows my commands as I enter them and reacts to them as I enter them. The game can switch characters in and out faster than a human finger can perform the change, and it executes chains of attacks from one fighter to the next fluidly as if it was all one character. It's simply impossible for a human player to do that. And since the AI reacts as soon as you move the stick or hit the button, it's pure random chance if you win as you reach these higher levels.

I wouldn't mind if the game at least simulated a relatively normal reaction time for the computer driven fighters, and similarly made the instantaneous chaining of attacks from multiple fighters being switched in and out operate at a more human pace. But no, it doesn't and you have to button mash like never before and hope that some random chance falls in your favor.

My wife pretty much told me that I either had to stop playing the game or stop getting so frustrated because she didn't like the blood pressure the frustration was generating.

I actually broke a controller playing Soul Calibur 4, it wasn't through throwing it, although there have been times...., no it was the stupid rubber top on the right stick that peeled off.

So, what about you? What game causes you to get frustrated to the point of tossing the controller down in frustration? What is it that causes the frustration?
Beating Radec on the hardest difficulty setting for Killzone 2 caused me to get a little frustrated a few times. Not even because I died so many times, it was more that I'd be playing up to the point where I almost had him beat and then I'd die..and have to do it all over again...It was getting monotonous but still hard at the same time...

I've had my girlfriend tell me on a couple games to just shut it off and walk away..which you know you can't do until you beat it..lol

Another one I can remember is from the PS2 days. Trying to get Gold on all the licenses in GT3 and 4...Frustrating as hell, expecially if you missed by 1/10th of a second..lol. I think I spent all day once doing the same license over and over just trying to get 1 section of it...After that I realized that I had more important things to do, like live...so I settled for Bronze or Silver..lol
CH1N00K Wrote:Another one I can remember is from the PS2 days. Trying to get Gold on all the licenses in GT3 and 4...Frustrating as hell, expecially if you missed by 1/10th of a second..lol. I think I spent all day once doing the same license over and over just trying to get 1 section of it...After that I realized that I had more important things to do, like live...so I settled for Bronze or Silver..lol

Oh yes, I remember those... In the end for GT4 I broke down and purchased the cheat code disc for it as I knew there were certain things I would never enable the right way.
Highlander your constantly reminding me of my Soul Calibur IV that i lent to a friend a month ago.Matter of fact am going to his house tomorrow to get it back. I realized i've missed it a whole lot.But i think Street Fighter IV does a great job of forcing you to throw ya controller.

Play SFIV for a month and go back to SCIV and you'll realize how easy it ifeels. SFIV is very difficult. Bosses like Seth can piss you off BIG TIME, that guy really made me lose it. After a while SFIV gets repetitive compared to SCIV that has variety of moves and realistic gameplay. Its good to have the two but i don't know what i'd pick outta the two. They all have their merits and demerits.
www Wrote:Highlander your constantly reminding me of my Soul Calibur IV that i lent to a friend a month ago.Matter of fact am going to his house tomorrow to get it back. I realized i've missed it a whole lot.But i think Street Fighter IV does a great job of forcing you to throw ya controller.

Play SFIV for a month and go back to SCIV and you'll realize how easy it ifeels. SFIV is very difficult. Bosses like Seth can piss you off BIG TIME, that guy really made me lose it. After a while SFIV gets repetitive compared to SCIV that has variety of moves and realistic gameplay. Its good to have the two but i don't know what i'd pick outta the two. They all have their merits and demerits.

LOL! I haven't played SF4 yet. Speaking of fighting games, I know I'm probably just in for more punishment, but I have to give Tekken 6 a look, and of course Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. Perhaps I should put a sheet of polycarbonate in front of my TV to protect it?
Well to be honest as much as I've really wanted to smash the thing against the wall (it being wireless doesn't help any) I haven't actually tossed a controller in many years. Buuuuuuuut I have been known to let the expletives fly and occasionally shake my fist at the heavens, lol. I totally hear u on Soul Calibur IV, I decided to stop torturing myself and give up on the tower. I thought we had gotten past the need for the computer to cheat in order to win, that is just an antiquated requirement for stupid AI from back in the day. Shit just ain't fair that in the nanosecond between you pressing the button and your character executing the attack the computer has analyzed it and responds with the proper quick counter. SO aggrivating.

PS Highlander, if you wanna see some of my soul creations check these out:

Final Fantasy chars: http://www.psxextremeforums.com/gaming-d...al+fantasy

Various souls: http://www.psxextremeforums.com/gaming-d...ul+calibur

That said, when I was a controller thrower, Mike Tyson's Punchout and Street Fighter II made my do my best to wreck those controllers. I can't believe how much punishment the NES and SNES controllers could take!
socom: us navy seals for the PS2... i must of spent about a week trying to beat that mission where you infiltrate a POW camp, and free the hostages... that damn helicopter... :nosense:... and that was when i first discovered gameFAQS.com, which has been a GODSEND for me since... otherwise, i might of thrown a few more remotes since my little incident with socom :p...

but, i remember when i was younger, i threw the NES/SNES remotes on a number of occasions... games were tough back then... back when you only had one way to go... and sometimes the camera moved whether you were ready or not, lol...

how many of you threw the remote playing old mario games?!

*raises hand*
Don't toss any controller that i can remember, I am pretty much calmed down when playing games. But maybe back in my kid stage of gaming and I awkwardly died in Alex the Kidd, a game that was built inside the Sega 8-bit (Master System). It was no save files back then!
[Image: Xenogears_XenogearsID_facing_720.jpg]
Xenogears vs Xenogears-ID

Now Playing:
  • PS3: White Knight Chronicles 2
  • Wii: Xenoblade Chronicle
  • Where did all these Chronicles come from?

I hit the Cassette deck loader player on my Commodore 64 once but this was because it would not simply load in a game, said game was Pitfall 2 I got so angry I smashed my fist against the tape deck and the plastic lid casing snapped in half. After that to open the tape deck I had to open one half by pressing the eject button and then grabbing the broken half and manually lifting that up lol. Sellotape worked for a while but this peeled away eventually so in the end the lid ended up just being removed as the draw where the tape slid in was still there lol. Funny thing is after that the game loaded in time after time lol Smile
tlpn99 Wrote:Sellotape worked for a while but this peeled away eventually so in the end the lid ended up just being removed as the draw where the tape slid in was still there lol. Funny thing is after that the game loaded in time after time lol Smile

The big thump must have scared it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battle Royale Games The Benny (Macho) 3 2,107 10-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Last Post: tlpn99
  The Controller People Sidular 4 3,658 10-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Sidular
  Buy Any New Games Lately? Reggie White 56 11,581 09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Last Post: dillonthebunny
  What cartoon would you make a game out of? antscrubber 23 7,692 02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Last Post: SHADOW
  Favorite MGS games in order? Superjew 16 4,594 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Last Post: tlpn99
  The return of fighting games? SHADOW 21 3,819 10-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Where do you buy your games? Superjew 10 2,642 09-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Last Post: SHADOW
  where do i go to download full psp games and movies FOR FREE gamerzwanted 1 2,881 03-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Last Post: cAtDaFeLiX
  Games you're still waiting to be made Tosser00 26 5,101 03-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Mr. SunburnMan
  Multi Platform Games xoanon 20 4,647 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Darth Koth