Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What the hell Sony?
After reading a detailed preview of how not-good Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier is (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/07/hands-...-frontier/) I can't help but wonder, how is it possible that Sony hasn't hired enough people so that Naughty Dogg can have two teams working concurrently? ND have proven in every PlayStation generation how capable and marketable their games are. Why would they not want to capitalize on that? Could you imagine getting a ND quality title at an Insomniac like rate? I think that ND would be 100% on board to be working on Jak and Daxter and Uncharted but just can't be expected to choose one over the other. Having two ND teams, to me not only makes gaming sense but business sense their titles have always sold like hot cakes. Sony needs to make this happen
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
There's probably an element of not wanting to water down what Naughty Dog has. They wouldn't want to end up with a Naughty Dog B Team that becomes known for making games that aren't as good as the main team, or giving them the numbers without the quality, so that the truly talented staffers are spread across two teams and making everything less good.

It's disappointing news about the Jak game though, even if I was never going to play it.
ATTENTION - Unless otherwise specified, all opinions stated in the above post should be interpreted as the personal opinions of The Benny (Macho) and not objective fact, even when said opinions are inarguably superior to all other opinions in the thread.

[Image: uc.png]
Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
The more games you put out, the less money will be made by each.

The gamer only has limited funds so there is no point putting out too many decent title per year if the average gamer is only going to buy 6 games in any 12 month period. That's why some developers already delay their release dates to avoid clashing with competitors.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
I like that Insomniac put out a game a year with their two teams, I do think that's a decent rate for a studio without being overwhelming. Ideally I'd love for Naughty Dog to have another team if they could keep the quality up, because Uncharted is essentially too big for them to put aside for Jak & Daxter, especially as having the one team means a minimum of two years between each game. Making a new Jak before a new Uncharted would mean Uncharted 3 releases in 2013.
ATTENTION - Unless otherwise specified, all opinions stated in the above post should be interpreted as the personal opinions of The Benny (Macho) and not objective fact, even when said opinions are inarguably superior to all other opinions in the thread.

Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
According to interviews I have read, they say that the Uncharted franchise is what they want to be working with and focus on right now, even hints on making a PSP Uncharted and maybe another team would make it with more experience with PSP.

Even though I feel that Uncharted belongs on the big screen, since it is closest thing to a movie you can get.
[Image: Xenogears_XenogearsID_facing_720.jpg]
Xenogears vs Xenogears-ID

Now Playing:
  • PS3: White Knight Chronicles 2
  • Wii: Xenoblade Chronicle
  • Where did all these Chronicles come from?

I just think that the quality thing loses it's meaning when you realize that Sony has had 8 years to scout and bring in new talent, at this point it just seems like the team should be significantly larger. Anyway, I would agree that if they can't keep the quality up then there is no point in even attempting this.

I think that a PSP Uncharted isn't a bad idea buy I've never been a big fan of a narrative getting dispersed out on multiple platforms. I don't want to feel like I missed part of the Uncharted story because I don't like playing PSP games. You know? If they were to do an Uncharted PSP game with different characters? That would be pretty cool.

As another sort of aside, how would you guys feel if Sony gave Ready at Dawn the reigns to Jak and Daxter and letting that be their first console game? It's probably pretty unlikely but considering so many of those RaD guys created J&D, I think that would be a really good alternative to a ND second team. Either way I just hope that any supposed J&D console return doesn't rely on the story from this PSP game because chances are, I'm not going to play it.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
If Naughty Dog were able to scrape a smaller team together I'd much rather they put that into PSN games than PSP ones, personally. Short Jak episodes (maybe Uncharted, but I don't know how well that would work in small chunks) would be a great addition, and could still have the same controls as the classics.

If the PSP project was handled by a different Sony studio then I probably wouldn't be interested at all, because it's Naughty Dog that make the games great, beyond the characters and general gameplay. Ready at Dawn do seem like good people though, and it would be interesting to see a console project from them (they already did the Okami Wii port, which was well-received).

Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
They were also responsible for Daxter, which is definitely worthy of being part of the J&D series. So I have complete confidence in their ability to make a good Jak game, I'm just curious what they would do narrative-wise when they're not constrained to predetermined time frame the way they were with Daxter. Again it's probably unlikely but I think it would work.
Yeah, Ready at Dawn also made God of War: Chains of Olympus. Which is one of, if not the best PSP game so far. At least it is the best technologically wise.
[Image: Xenogears_XenogearsID_facing_720.jpg]
Xenogears vs Xenogears-ID

Now Playing:
  • PS3: White Knight Chronicles 2
  • Wii: Xenoblade Chronicle
  • Where did all these Chronicles come from?

I was disappointed when the last frontier was announced for ps2 and psp. If they are going to neglect the series at least pass it on to a capable studio.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where the hell is everyone at?????? BikerSaint 22 5,910 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Last Post: farfus
  Nintendo:49%, MS:49% and that leaves Sony:2%.... BS! Microsoft spin? Russell Burrows 60 3,903 09-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Last Post: Ben D.
  MLB '08: The Show For Sony Systems angelamia 7 1,191 05-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Lefty Grove
  Sony Discusses BluRay with Microsoft. dillonthebunny 21 2,014 03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Sony buys Evolution Gabriel013 0 462 09-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  Sony Dressing up?? dillonthebunny 3 632 09-12-2007, 10:48 AM
  Sony looking to buy Rockstar?!?!?!?! dillonthebunny 6 650 08-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Ben D.
  Sony and Incognito Gabriel013 6 1,042 07-09-2007, 03:35 AM
  Dark Cloud 2, Sony's answer to Nintendo's Zelda. Believe the hype! Arnold K. (Admin) 43 4,445 03-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Barret Wallace
  Wow Sony, Good service! Prime 7 598 04-21-2004, 03:44 AM
Last Post: Voice