Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gaming News
I'm thinking of using this as a mini-news thread, for things that don't really warrant their own post (and feel free to do the same). Things like the ones I'm about to post below, which coincidentally both involve classic franchises:

Superannuation have picked up on a series of trademark filings that confirm the new game from Starbreeze (Riddick, The Darkness) will be Syndicate, which was an old series from Bullfrog where you controlled a squad of cyborgs in a cyberpunk setting, carrying out assassinations or converting the masses. There's no word on systems or genre but some kind of co-op shooter for all-formats seems likely. I've enjoyed all Starbreeze's games and particularly loved Dark Athena so I'm looking forward to their take on it.

2K Marin, the studio behind Bioshock 2, have revealed their new game will be XCOM, an FPS sent in the same universe as the ridiculously tough turn-based strategy series X-COM (or UFO). There was one game in the series that wasn't turn-based, space-combat game Interceptor, but which still included lots of base and staff management. It's a strange one to announce because the only people the franchise means anything to are going to be those who would want it to be an old school turn-based strategy game with base management, which this game will likely not have any of (though the press release mentions strategy). There are almost no details so far though so maybe there will be some surprises. The PR says it's PC and 360 only, so for some reason there's no PS3 release planned yet.

On the subject of Bioshock, a mysterious source has apparently told Destructoid that 2K are planning a Bioshock MMO. They've mentioned Bioshock as a potential MMO setting before but I'm not really sure how it would work. The only time period it would work in is once everything has fallen apart and you'd maybe have to be a splicer, but then there isn't that much variety in the enemies (a couple of splicer variants and Big Daddies) so I'm not sure how they would make a game that could hold your interest for years, unless Bioshock 2 sets things up for something much bigger or there's another part of the setting (during the fall of Rapture?) when things were much more epic.
ATTENTION - Unless otherwise specified, all opinions stated in the above post should be interpreted as the personal opinions of The Benny (Macho) and not objective fact, even when said opinions are inarguably superior to all other opinions in the thread.

[Image: uc.png]
Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
I thought you already had a similar thread going last year .
I did, Gaming News & Articles, but that was mostly focused on posting lots and lots of in-depth articles about games rather than news, and after a look at it I figured a new one for news would be better than reviving the other one. I'm often seeing news that interests me but which don't feel worth making a new thread for, and hopefully this will be just brief news items and a link, even if I didn't quite manage that in the first post :p
ATTENTION - Unless otherwise specified, all opinions stated in the above post should be interpreted as the personal opinions of The Benny (Macho) and not objective fact, even when said opinions are inarguably superior to all other opinions in the thread.

Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
Starting our own game-site-within-a-game-site, are we? Tongue
Look out N4G! The PSXExtreme Forums are coming for you!

-Arvis
Bah! Anybody posting in this thread and not either including news or responding to news is an awful, awful person :mad:

As I said though, the revival of Syndicate and X-Com is pretty big if you were a PC gamer in the '90s (and both series had PS1 games as well), even if they're both likely going the squad-based FPS route. I know we don't exactly have a lot of '90s PC gamers here though so it fit into the "I could post it but would anybody care?" category, which a lot of stuff does. Now I have a place to put that kind of thing.

Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:Bah! Anybody posting in this thread and not either including news or responding to news is an awful, awful person :mad:

Hello :p
You're the most awfullest person of them all! Now by replying to your post I've made a post that isn't on topic so by my own standards I am now also an awful person, and it's all your fault :boo:

Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:You're the most awfullest person of them all! Now by replying to your post I've made a post that isn't on topic so by my own standards I am now also an awful person, and it's all your fault :boo:
LOL!

Look, my sig takes you to a podcast wherein news is discussed, so my posts here are, by default, ALWAYS on topic. Making me the only NON-awful person in this thread so far.

-Arvis
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:Bah! Anybody posting in this thread and not either including news or responding to news is an awful, awful person :mad:

As I said though, the revival of Syndicate and X-Com is pretty big if you were a PC gamer in the '90s (and both series had PS1 games as well), even if they're both likely going the squad-based FPS route. I know we don't exactly have a lot of '90s PC gamers here though so it fit into the "I could post it but would anybody care?" category, which a lot of stuff does. Now I have a place to put that kind of thing.

Benny I loved Syndicate on the Amiga when I had it it was brilliant. Not sure about UFO as a FPS though I liked that on the Amiga also. Your news about Syndicate made my day so much better in work when I viewed the forum's and read your new thread. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Console Gaming VS. Computer Gaming!! On On-Going Debate!! PlaystationFan 55 8,942 03-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Last Post: farfus
  Gaming Memories The Benny (Macho) 11 2,115 12-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Your feelings on old school gaming??? PlaystationFan 52 3,844 11-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Last Post: tlpn99
  SquareEnix DKΣ3713 Event - News Speculations Zapix 28 1,404 08-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Superjew
  Gaming News joshhodg 5 1,854 05-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  isnt it about time we had some bad news about GTA4? dillonthebunny 17 1,108 04-24-2008, 05:05 AM
Last Post: HannibleL316
  EA= bad news for Bad Company? dillonthebunny 11 1,175 04-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Zapix
  Your piles of gaming shames Mr. SunburnMan 23 1,307 03-12-2008, 01:01 AM
Last Post: svosen
  Any news on that Bioshock trailer? dillonthebunny 35 3,034 08-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Mr. SunburnMan
  The official Gaming Deals thread. Mr. SunburnMan 2 2,962 08-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Norrec