Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk NGP
The NeoGeo Pocket returns! Wait. No. That's not right...

Sony has finally admitted to the existence of the PSP2. Only in a shocking turn of events it's been given a different, code name, Next Generation Portable. But since that rolled off the tongue too easily for a code name, you can call it the NGP instead. And since the word (words?) PlayStation aren't anywhere in NGP I think it's safe to say that a new name is absolutely forthcoming.

It seems most of the rumors surrounding this bad boy have come true. Dual analog sticks? Check. High resolution? Check. Bigger screen? Check. Touch Sensitive OLED? Check. No UMD? Check. 3G? Two cameras? I think you get the picture. They also came kinda out of left field announcing that the device will also include a touch pad on the back of the device, where you would find a UMD drive on a PSP classic. This touch pad allows for gestures such as pinching to be used. It's intriguing but very few applications of this new feature shown.

The other big thing Sony announced was the PlayStation suite. Basically, it appears to be a PSN store for devices powerful enough to run PSP games. Android devices, the Xperia Play, etc. This service will allow for smaller Iphone-esque games to become a larger part of PlayStation's strategy for global domination.

I think from a purely technical perspective the NGP looks good. But the timing of this announcement was clearly a reaction to the impending 3DS launch next month, and they didn't really show a whole lot of gameplay of anything. So I'll pencil myself in as, being intrigued. But I'll reserve any sort of real judgement until we get a look at some real games at E3.

So what does everyone think? Does the NGP look like a winner? Or maybe a dud? What should be the final name? And can they really just give in and end up calling it PSP2 after giving it code name? Was anyone else disappointed that the form factor just sort of looks like another PSP? Does the thought of a legite Uncharted on the portable system make your mouth water? How long before this 3g device gets replaced by a 4g model? And most importantly, where the **** is my XMB?
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
I wants it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rox:
System: Gigabyte GA-Z77X UP5 TH/Intel Core i5 3570k/MSI Nvidia GTX 770/8GB PC3-12800/Fractal Design Define R4/Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB x2/Windows 8.1 & OS X Mavericks
Goodbye, BlackBerry PlayBook.
[Image: swapnilgyani.png]
No UMD so what about my PSP games library or have they forgone this like they did the backwards compatability on the newer slim PS3's (the older fatty models used to play PS2 games) ? So is all the game going to be downloadable then I take it ?
tlpn99 Wrote:No UMD so what about my PSP games library or have they forgone this like they did the backwards compatability on the newer slim PS3's (the older fatty models used to play PS2 games) ? So is all the game going to be downloadable then I take it ?

There is going to be flash based physical media, it is backwards compatible with downloadable PSP games.
System: Gigabyte GA-Z77X UP5 TH/Intel Core i5 3570k/MSI Nvidia GTX 770/8GB PC3-12800/Fractal Design Define R4/Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB x2/Windows 8.1 & OS X Mavericks
tlpn99 Wrote:No UMD so what about my PSP games library or have they forgone this like they did the backwards compatability on the newer slim PS3's (the older fatty models used to play PS2 games) ? So is all the game going to be downloadable then I take it ?

Don't be such a negative Nelly...you want to play your PSP games you bought, you still have your PSP don't ya? If you're gonna buy this new piece of tech, why not look forward to what the future has to offer. Besides, we're getting PS3 games ported to this handheld and you will have the option as Mac just said...

mackid1993 Wrote:There is going to be flash based physical media, it is backwards compatible with downloadable PSP games.

So cheer up buddy! This looks badass! Smile
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: @thebadbearddude

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
Woke up this morning, read about this, popped a boner.
Spartan119 Wrote:Woke up this morning, read about this, popped a boner.

lol, this comment is sig worthy if you ask me. you just made my day after a morning of shovelling 11+ inches of snow.
So, is there no disc based media support at all?
I must say that when I played Uncharted 2 and enjoyed things like Naughty Dog's craftsmanship, the HD spectacle on my big screen and being absorbed for hours at a time, I really felt it would be improved if I could play it on a tiny handheld with extra touchscreen controls, made by a different developer and experienced in small chunks while on the move :p

More seriously, are the games press just focusing on the hardcore games or is that all Sony announced (Resistance, Wipeout, Uncharted, LBP etc.)? The DS beat the PSP in part because Sony focused on making stripped-down versions of console games while Nintendo made games that appealed to a wider audience and suited portable play, which has been taken even further by the iDevices. They're not just doing the same thing all over again, are they?
Playing:
PC: Shadow of War
PS4: Uncharted 3 | Monster Hunter World | Game of Thrones
Switch: Breath of the Wild | Dragon Quest Builders | Mario + Rabbids
XB1: ReCore | Sea of Thieves | Rise of the Tomb Raider

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's Talk About No Man's Sky Spartan119 20 2,571 09-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Spartan119
  talk about games here, there aren't any particular games you have to talk about :) smeg head no.2 0 1,076 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  socom talk johnnyb 0 1,134 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: