Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
After 4 years, 100s of hours, and many sleepless nights....
I have decided to retire my 60GB....

Last week it suffered its 4th YLOD. I have repaired it myself every time.

The first lasted 3 months
The second lasted 2.5 months
the third lasted 1 month

Considering how short it lasted, i knew it was going to get worse. So i decided it was time to let him retire. Poor little guy. One minute we are laughing and playing together, the next, he is flashing yellow and not waking up. We had some good times.

I have now bought a 320gb Slim. I repaired my 60gb one last time, so that i can transfer my files, but then he will go back to sleep, until such time, as i feel like playing a ps1 or ps2 game.

I feel slightly ripped off though, after hearing the rumors of a new PS3 model coming out soon.
P.S Why does my Slim say that it only had 268gb free the first time i ever turned it on?
Akuma07 Wrote:P.S Why does my Slim say that it only had 268gb free the first time i ever turned it on?

Because the wonderful marketing people at hard disc companies realized that more people think of 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, not 1,073,741,824. So they started calling a drive with 320,000,000,000 bytes a 320GB drive. Technically, such a drive is only a 298GB drive if you count the GB correctly. That 298GB capacity is unformatted, when you format the drive some space is lost just for the formatting, pluss the system sets aside some space for itself. So a 320GB (advertized size) can have as little as about 270GB for use.
Lol, i thought that they would have the sense to count the GBs properly, so i always assumed that was right.

Im glad i didnt get the 160gb now. I woulda only had like 130gb to use!
Well, kudos on keeping in going that long.

Although I think you knew it was defective the first time it happened. Wink
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
The same happened to my 80gb system.
Oh and yeah the formatting thing, my 500gb started out with 409gb. Still has over 100gb left after 2 years.
EddPm6 Wrote:The same happened to my 80gb system.
Oh and yeah the formatting thing, my 500gb started out with 409gb. Still has over 100gb left after 2 years.

Now THAT would annoy me haha. Wow 100gb less! They should start counting the GBs properly haha, that's crazy.

Ben.D Wrote:Well, kudos on keeping in going that long.

Although I think you knew it was defective the first time it happened. Wink

Chhers! and the first time it happened, I hope it was just a one off due to hot weather, then when it happened a 2nd time, I knew that it was game over.
When mine went back in the day, I was in the middle of GoW2 when I paused the game to answer the phone. During the middle of my call the system shuts off and starts flashing red, then yellow. Use of harsh profanities subsequently ensued.
mackid1993 Wrote:When mine went back in the day, I was in the middle of GoW2 when I paused the game to answer the phone. During the middle of my call the system shuts off and starts flashing red, then yellow. Use of harsh profanities subsequently ensued.
It went from flashing red to yellow? I hadn't heard of that before. When one of mine died, it beeped, flashed yellow then went to flashing red.
robodaddy-o Wrote:It went from flashing red to yellow? I hadn't heard of that before. When one of mine died, it beeped, flashed yellow then went to flashing red.

Whatever, it did something. All I remember is seeing it and saying oh s*it. It probably did what yours did. I don't remember exactly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you guys think of this years E3? Sidular 2 3,662 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Last Post: tlpn99
  Nights into Dreams: The Music!!! farfus 1 1,924 10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Last Post: farfus
  Microsoft extends warranty for all Xbox 360s up to 3 years Mr. SunburnMan 14 4,380 07-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Last Post: cAtDaFeLiX
  2 years later - what do you think of the DS' innovations? Mr. SunburnMan 8 3,508 05-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Mr. SunburnMan
  FINAL FANTASY IV: The After Years 0 1,938 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Ten years old! Happy birthday PlayStation 2!! psplayer 0 2,819 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: