Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rants, Raves And Anything Else That Doesn't Really Fit
As the title suggests, this is basically for anyone who's too lazy to start up their own thread and wants to vent their spleen, ask questions or just try to get their point across when it comes to topics that are marginally, if at all, related to video games. Not sure if anyone will be willing to participate but damnit, I need somewhere to explode when things annoy me.

I promised this not long ago on the main site, so what the hell.
It's not a phenomenon, but it's really something that I've only noticed recently, as I used to stick mainly to PSXE, but have been expanding my boundaries of late to get a better fix on a wider range of gaming news. This issue that I've found does occasionally crop up here, but it's quickly curtailed thanks to the nature of the site and community. Unfortunately, a great many other sites are less... involved with their members and comments.

Perhaps it is only because of the immense size of such sites that makes it impossible to create such a tight-knit community as there is here, or perhaps it is simply because they prefer to pander to the rampant stupidity on the internet, but the comments sections of such sites really seems to harbour a culture of disrespect. I mean, I've seen disputes flare up over the most inane things, leading to the argument getting out of hand and ultimately devolving into a shameful display of name calling and general immaturity.

Even more disturbing to me is the lack of anything even resembling respect that is shown towards the writers. It's completely understandable when the article features poor spelling, poor grammar, and a general sense of unfamiliarity with the English language. I mean, the writer isn't a writer at all if that is the case, and as far as I'm concerned deserves to be derided for thinking that he or she could ever possibly be deserving of such a title. But that's a diversion. No, I'm talking about well written articles with the points and arguments of the author being well presented. When the opinion is against what is most popular, the comments often descend into a kind of hivemind in an attempt to bring down the author, often with stupid comments that have very little to do with the subject at hand.

Indeed, in many cases it seems as though the commenter has simply read the title of the article and deduced their own theories as to the contents without actually reading it. Given current societal trends, this doesn't surprise me at all, but it annoys me when it is clear that a writer has put a great deal of effort into writing something, only to have readers gloss over it in an attempt to jerk themselves off and make themselves feel better at the expense of that aforementioned writer. It's just a culture of abject stupidity, and it sometimes makes me want to quit the internet, forget about gaming (and people in general) and just... I don't know, get away.

I could go on; I could use far stronger language and really let my emotions carry me away, but I'm just not feeling the righteous rage about this subject now as I was last week. Nevertheless, I believe that I've gotten my point across. What are your thoughts?
It can definitely be a problem, like people skipping to the score in a review without reading the text, then ranting about it because it's different to what they hoped the game would get. Or fixating on the score despite the review itself - which is, after all, an opinion - justifying it.

Beyond excessive moderating there's not really much you can do. If a site allows comments then it will attract idiots, and you can only either tune them out yourself or just stop reading comment threads.
ATTENTION - Unless otherwise specified, all opinions stated in the above post should be interpreted as the personal opinions of The Benny (Macho) and not objective fact, even when said opinions are inarguably superior to all other opinions in the thread.

[Image: uc.png]
Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
Yeah, I get that. What I really want to know is why does it happen? Why do people seem to feel justified in disrespecting others and degrading themselves to the point of name calling and vile insults against people that they will, in the greatest of likelihoods, never meet? Surely the anonymity that the internet grants isn't enough to allow people to break down the rules and norms of society just so that they can give in to their juvenile, animalistic urges?

The stupidity really is expected. You only need to look around at modern society for that, but when things drop further than that to disgracefulness and you get to see the mindset of modern man at its absolute worst and most vile, forgoing the intelligence and dignity that we, as a race, have spent thousands of years cultivating, it makes me wonder... why? Existentialism and all that cal. :nosense:
Maybe it's just that people as a whole are naturally horrible, and it's the possibility of violence or damaging tangible professional/social relationships holding them back from being their true selves offline. The web is where they can finally be who they really are. That isn't a particularly comforting thought :lol:
ATTENTION - Unless otherwise specified, all opinions stated in the above post should be interpreted as the personal opinions of The Benny (Macho) and not objective fact, even when said opinions are inarguably superior to all other opinions in the thread.

[Image: uc.png]
Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB
I blame the violence in computer games!
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: frostface

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:Maybe it's just that people as a whole are naturally horrible, and it's the possibility of violence or damaging tangible professional/social relationships holding them back from being their true selves offline. The web is where they can finally be who they really are. That isn't a particularly comforting thought :lol:
This is awesome. :rofl:
[Image: rmartinez10.png]

"Working out everyday, slapping the double chins. They're so purdy." :rofl:
Sweet, the official bitch-about-life thread. Bet your sweet asses ill be posting here. Wink
I have much too much to post but I'll start a topic. Assumptions. I cannot stand when people assume so much without getting facts. Whenever there's a high profile trial going on, I do not want to hear a bunch of women crowing about what they know since they obviously weren't at the scene of the crime. And bad drivers. Who told you to turn into an entrance that's behind you, three lanes away, without your blinker? WTF?

Okay that was two. Grr! :evil:

Texas, Dallas Fort Worth particularly, is dumb ass driver central, trust me on this!!!
farfus Wrote:Texas, Dallas Fort Worth particularly, is dumb ass driver central, trust me on this!!!
I can confirm this and I hate the road system there. It's the only part I dread when I've had to fly in for work. Okay, the weather sucks too. ha ha

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If this doesn't make you laugh, your cold inside cAtDaFeLiX 9 1,764 06-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Last Post: hellangle146
  The street doesn't like my mom's car Gamer_X 0 687 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Who here doesn't know what a forum token is MustangMan 0 3,212 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: