Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony can afford to lower the price of the Vita.
I read this article and found it interesting. However, I'll leave it to you guys to discuss, as my mind was already set a long time ago on getting this months, or even a year into the Vitas lifetime. The price is certainly a consideration for me though I get that we'll be paying for cutting edge handheld technology. But for me it is still quite expensive...

Here's the article.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: frostface

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
I'm not sure I see anything in the article justifying a price reduction. I was expecting some kind of cost of manufacturing breakdown, but instead I got an article that appears to be written by someone that thinks a kindle is the equivalent of the Vita, or that it should have been an iPhone clone.

I think the article reads like a scare story trying to put a negative spin on something because someone's vested interest is threatened by the Vita.

The article quotes Asif Khan as if he is some kind of sage on the matter, and he repeats the arguments about memory cards being too costly and how games on iPhone and Android are practically free. My problem with this is that a) the memory cards are part of the devices security platform and are therefore pricey to begin with, I think that they should have stuck with memorystick since there is at least a third party base to provide more cost effective parts, but whatever, this is Sony's only mistake on the Vita in my opinion. b) games on the iPhone and Android that cost next to nothing are trash. That's not to say that all games on iPhone or Android are trash, they are not, but you get what you pay for. the makers of the games that are all but free make small games with zero production value and rarely make much money. You sell 5 million copies at a dollar, and after costs and fees you net maybe half of that. You make a game for Vita, sell it at $30, and the dev clears maybe $8 per copy (or more), sell 300,000 copies and you've made about the same as selling 5 million $1 games.

The point I'm making is that the economics of those disposable iPhone and Android games are utterly different to the economics of hand held console games and for that matter, different to the economics of the more expensive smartphone games that sell for $5-$10 a copy.
TheHighlander
[SIZE=3]PSX Extreme Forum moderator[/SIZE]
(Official Burnout Paradise Rai-Jin crash Test Dummy)
Live in the now, not the never!
There isn't anything special or different about that article. Ignorant people with really poor thinking skills that are trying to justify all of these devices being the same as a PS Vita. It'd be like telling me that a VW Jetta and an S4 should cost the same. :rofl:
[Image: rmartinez10.png]

"Working out everyday, slapping the double chins. They're so purdy." :rofl:
I get what you're saying Highlander and in the article, at least what I took from it anyway, it too agrees with most of what you just said.

I think the article rightfully takes into account what the competition is, even if from a technical standpoint the competition is inferior related to what the Vita sets out to do.

Lets face it, the Vita is a handheld just the same as an IPhone or Android device even with their dirt cheap priced games. Yes the Vita has the bigger and presumably better games and you indeed get what you pay for, be it for Vita or IPhone/Android, but they all exist in the same market. Granted when you buy an Iphone/Android device you're most likely buying a phone first and handheld games console second, whereas Vita is games console first with some really cool bells and whistles.

With the advancement in handheld mobile phone devices and with practically everyone owning a phone, are most of these people not just content with the cheap games they're able to play on the one device they sorta feel they can't do without. Do they feel they need a better mobile device to carry around with them alongside their phones? When do most people play their mobile device games? Sitting on the bus or train in relatively short bursts, so Angry Birds or Wordfued fills that time in just right.

If you're really into your gaming, then definitely yes the Vita is something you're most probably planning on looking into. But if you're part of the majority of people who would rather choose a smart phone over a gaming console since carrying one device in your pocket is more than enough, most people will choose the smart phone.

I know that this can be hard to convey on a gaming website to people who are eager and waiting for this new handheld gaming console. People like yourself Highlander who have studied every detail of what the Vita offers and can't see why the general public can't or won't see everything you see in this console. But the general public, not gaming enthusiasts, won't appreciate the power house the Vita is when laying down 250euro+. Also most of the smart phones, tablets, kindles whatever, already have a fan base behind them and name recognition. In time the Vita will have that name recognition too but these other devices tend to fall into the category of tech people feel they can't actually do without. People can do without the Vita. (Yes sure people can do without these other devices but they tend to rely too heavily on them once they own one, for emails, phone calls, browsing the web etc...)

robodaddy-o Wrote:There isn't anything special or different about that article. Ignorant people with really poor thinking skills that are trying to justify all of these devices being the same as a PS Vita. It'd be like telling me that a VW Jetta and an S4 should cost the same. :rofl:

Since I don't know what either of them two things are, as Mr Joe Soap off the street, why should I care that they don't cost the same? Given the option to someone not in the know, the practicle device is the one that does more than just play games.

I know what you're saying Frostface, and I actually agree that outside of the gaming market, most consumers will compare the Vita against smartphones. But I also think that doing a feature for feature comparison of hardware or of games leaves the Vita head an shoulders above a smartphone as a gaming device. The question really comes down to how many people want a dedicated hand held gaming device.

On the other hand, to make the Vita a smartphone instead would have been a horrible mistake IMHO, because to make it a smartphone you would almost certainly lose some of the control options such as the sticks, or the second touch pad, or perhaps the shoulder buttons. I can't see a smartphone with all the buttons and twin sticks working well as a smartphone, so the things has to either one or the other. That's where PlayStation Suite comes in - I think.

If Sony were to make the Vita integrate with more PS3 gaming, and especially the PS4 whenever it arrives, there could be enough synergy there to drive additional purchases. For example, if the Vita can act as a PS3/PS4 controller and even remote play all titles, it becomes much easier to justify as a purchase - even if you already have a gaming phone.
TheHighlander
[SIZE=3]PSX Extreme Forum moderator[/SIZE]
(Official Burnout Paradise Rai-Jin crash Test Dummy)
Live in the now, not the never!
frostface Wrote:Since I don't know what either of them two things are, as Mr Joe Soap off the street, why should I care that they don't cost the same? Given the option to someone not in the know, the practicle device is the one that does more than just play games.
Volkswagen are generic, mid-level vehicles. They're the "poor man's vehicles from Germany". They will get you from point A to B but don't count on luxury or other refinements that people might want such as less road noise, comfort for the longer drives, etc. S4 is the higher-end A4 offered by Audi.

And going back to the PS Vita, iPad, several smart phones, netbooks, touchpads, etc., my problem is that people see either the size factor or pricing and automatically equate such devices to all be in the exact same class with the same functions. I've never understood that but that is because from an early age I was taught to investigate the subject matter and come to a conclusion after a proper analysis. So many people don't do that. They say "Oh, look. They're the same size and have a screen. They must be the same kind of product." when in reality that may be all that they share.

My daughter was going to get herself an iPod Touch. When she saw the videos and info. about the PS Vita, she decided that she no longer wanted an iPod because the PS Vita would better suit her interests and provide more enjoyment for her money. She didn't feel that it was expensive because she knows what it has and what it can do.

Last week, she told me that she had finally saved enough for the Wi-Fi model but she also realized that she wants games and a memory card. She has since decided that she wants to save for the First Edition Bundle and hopes that she can get that instead of just the Wi-Fi model.

The point of this post? A ten year old girl, who does not have a job, understands the value of the PS Vita at its price point. I am one proud father. :rox:

At this point, with the games I can play on my phone, there's no compelling reason to spend hundreds of dollars on a dedicated handheld device, plus extra money on memory sticks not to mention games at $40 a pop.

Why would I do that, spend all that extra money and haul around all that extra hardware, when I can play good looking, great playing games on the same machine that makes my phone calls, sends my emails, navigates unfamiliar cities and wakes me up in the morning?

That's the question being asked in that article, and it's a valid one. No one's trying to say the Kindle Fire, iPhone and Vita are the same thing, they're pointing out that so many handheld devices these days are multifunctional that it's going to be tough to convince someone to shell out an extra $300 (once you factor in tax and the barest of memory options) just for prettier graphics and better control.

The Vita is obviously a fantastic, powerful, and sleek machine. My phone can't play games that look nearly as good as Vita games. Yet. But it can play a buttload of games that are fun and look pretty good and cost five bucks compared to $40. And smartphones are where most technological innovation is focused right now, with new units making significant leaps every few months. Give smartphone makers another year or two and dedicated handheld gaming is going to be dead.

So I guess the final question becomes whether or not you think Vita/3DS games are worth the price and trouble. Personally, I can lose an hour just playing Robot Unicorn Attack on my phone, even when sitting at home in front of my computer, so for me the answer is no.
As inexpensive as older handhelds are, with big game libraries, i couldnt see spending a lot of money on a brand new handheld that has prettier graphics. But im assuming Sony has an idea of the market it will appeal to. Good luck to them, Nintendo generally owns the handheld market... as a Kindle Fire owner i can say it rocks big time, good investment...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vita: apps, products and help dillonthebunny 419 51,361 06-07-2013, 05:55 AM
Last Post: dillonthebunny
  Copy and paste on Vita? MUSTANG750R 0 18,025 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  User Review - PS Vita Hot Shots Golf TheHighlander 0 6,715 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  MGS Vita News Fox hounder 0 2,842 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  PS Vita plays more PSP games than you might think... TheHighlander 0 17,599 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Game's you'd love to see ported to the Vita. frostface 0 28,007 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Vita Recommendations. frostface 0 17,622 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  PS Vita or PS3? frostface 0 5,246 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Party Chat on the Vita. frostface 0 5,226 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: