Poll: To condense the forum or not?
This poll is closed.
Yes, condense it to make it neater and easier to navigate
85.71%
12 85.71%
No, leave it as it is. I like multiple sub-forums.
14.29%
2 14.29%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

To condense the forum or not?
I'm not really active here anymore so my opinion shouldn't matter but the last time we talked about this (I mostly shouted I think) my suggestion was General Gaming, Handheld/Mobile/Social Gaming, Offtopic. And then encourage the community to start actually using tags to mark the specific topics of a discussion. Still seems like the best organization method to me. Especially this generation as the difference between a PS4, Xbox One, and PC game is going to be so minimal as to barely deserve a distinction.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
SHADOW Wrote:And then encourage the community to start actually using tags to mark the specific topics of a discussion. Still seems like the best organization method to me.

In theory yes, but it won't work. No way you'll get a user base to start practising this.

SHADOW Wrote:Especially this generation as the difference between a PS4, Xbox One, and PC game is going to be so minimal as to barely deserve a distinction.

This I agree with. I agree with Sparty, we really do need only one gaming category, "general gaming" should be enough. Maybe someday. Smile
PSN & Steam & Wordfeud & UniWar: Beamboom
Beamboom Wrote:In theory yes, but it won't work. No way you'll get a user base to start practising this.

It would be nice if VBulletin had a feature that would allow any user to add tags to a topic, taking the burden off the original poster at the time of posting but to my knowledge that's not possible.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
SHADOW Wrote:It would be nice if VBulletin had a feature that would allow any user to add tags to a topic, taking the burden off the original poster at the time of posting but to my knowledge that's not possible.

Just click Edit Tags, and you can add tags to any thread. People do this here all the time, but mostly as a joke.

It doesn't really affect things either way.
oh. Brilliant.
Beamboom Wrote:I agree with Sparty, we really do need only one gaming category, "general gaming" should be enough. Maybe someday. Smile

Why maybe someday? Why not just do it, like, tonight?
If you take too much away, no matter how necessary/unnecessary some category's are, there'll be nothing left to give it even the most basic looks of even being a forum. Honestly with the amount of activity these days here it's already looks empty without completely leaving it looking gutted out.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: frostface

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
frostface Wrote:If you take too much away, no matter how necessary/unnecessary some category's are, there'll be nothing left to give it even the most basic looks of even being a forum. Honestly with the amount of activity these days here it's already looks empty without completely leaving it looking gutted out.

More forums makes that problem worse, not better. Some new guy joins up and sees 15 sub forums that haven't had posts in months if not years, what kind of impression does that give?

NeoGAF is easily the biggest, and busiest, game related forum around and it has two categories - Gaming and Off Topic, because that's all you need. The other forum I frequent besides this one has only one forum for both gaming and off topic, and it probably gets about 200 times more traffic than this place. Since this is a Playstation specific forum, we could easily get by with General Gaming, Playstation, and Off Topic.
The oldest forums with non-current platforms are now all merged into one big "legacy gaming" bucket. That means nothing is lost, and old stuff doesn't clutter up the forum list much.
I also changed the description of the "General gaming" category to try to channel most traffic into that category.

The next step will be to dump the x360 and ps3 forums into Legacy as well when the time is right, when the next consoles more or less can be said to have taken over.

Then, after that, time will show if also the then current gen categories are obsolete. I got a strong feeling they will be, but that's something up for consideration in due time.

Hope you all are reasonably happy with how I chose to solve this.
PSN & Steam & Wordfeud & UniWar: Beamboom
Good going. I like how the Nintendo consoles have been completely dumped. Let's see where Benny decides to profess his love for Pikmin. A little detail that you forgot to edit: the 360 forum still holds its former heading, "XBox & Xbox 360".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum FAQ Ryan H. 67 23,259 04-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Last Post: robodaddy-o
  Off Topic Forum baseballdude_ 4 1,025 09-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Let's get this forum more active SHADOW 26 1,971 07-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Zapix
  multimedia, PS3 and the forum. Russell Burrows 0 703 07-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Russell Burrows
  why doesn't this website have a for sale/wanted forum thingy? aaronleo 0 873 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Not for forum, but for site dandan 0 925 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  What is wrong with this forum? Ryan H. 0 910 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  To condense forum or not? Arnold K. (Admin) 0 13,025 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Linking to my forum in my sig Ryan H. 0 669 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  the forum seems to be a lil fubar right now... accord 4 me 0 892 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: