Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Powers the PS4
Hey guys.

Someone posted this article in the comments section, thought it deserved a place here. It really is a good interview, he goes into great detail, it gives me a lot of hope and excitement for the PS4. I just hope devs don't become lazy with the new architecture because it is easy to use, and don't bother with the added enhancements.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/19...php?page=1

EDIT: Just found this pic in the Gamespot twitter battle's feed:
[Image: BK8gzPkCEAABMgn.gif:medium]
This should be lifted to an article on the main site too, if it is correct.
PSN & Steam & Wordfeud & UniWar: Beamboom
Do your worst Mr Contributor! Big Grin

Having the ability to download things, WHILE THE SYSTEM IS TURNED OFF!!!! is just freakin' cool.

EDIT: or should I say, do your best.
Akuma07 Wrote:I just hope devs don't become lazy with the new architecture because it is easy to use, and don't bother with the added enhancements.

With the architecture being easier to use, this will only mean that we should see more indie/startup studios making cool little games. Also with it being easier to develop for, larger studios should have an easier time using ALL THAT POWER and create the amazing titles we love so much. Cant wait to see what Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog are going to do for us this gen.
[Image: 2845548806.png]
"If you cant stand the heat, then get the F*&k out of Africa!"- Some British Movie
EddPm6 Wrote:With the architecture being easier to use, this will only mean that we should see more indie/startup studios making cool little games. Also with it being easier to develop for, larger studios should have an easier time using ALL THAT POWER and create the amazing titles we love so much. Cant wait to see what Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog are going to do for us this gen.

Agreed!
If you want a real breakdown on specs Digital Foundry is the place to go. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digita...s-xbox-one

The PS4 seems to be demonstrably more powerful then the XOne, but that graphic is a little misleading in the fact that they are all saying basically the same thing (particularly the first and third bars, higher clock rate directly results in higher bandwidth). The one significant divide between Sony's approach to their hardware and Microsoft's approach to theirs is a difference of opinion about memory 2+ years ago. At that time MS and Sony both decided to use the same basic AMD technology (in fact the same die) for the main APU. Microsoft decided that the most important thing was to have a lot of memory so they decided to aim for 8gb right from the start. At the time DDR3 was readily available and seemed to be a very good choice. Sony decided that fast high bandwidth memory was the way to go and chose to aim for a GDDR5 based solution. At the time GDDR5 was very expensive and only available in very small configurations. Development continues... Microsoft seeing that their memory is going to be seen as very slow by the time their box is released starts dedicating a sizable chunk of their APU die to implementing a 32 MB ESRAM highspeed memory cache that will greatly decrease the speed canyon between the two types of ram. Sony currently prototyping a unit with 2gigs of GDDR5 decides to dedicate that die-space to GPU power. Shortly there after better manufacturing pipeline allows them to increase their RAM to 4 gb. Going into the beginning of 2013 that was the situation. Sony is using 16 units of 256MB GDDR5 memory Microsoft is using 16 units of 512MB DDR3. At the last minute memory manufactures start manufacturing GDDR5 in 512 MB packages and Sony decides to spend big to double the size of their 16 RAM units. matching the size of their competitors memory. Sony got incredibly lucky. With one big gamble 2 years ago and now they have a significantly more powerful machine. Because microsoft had to dedicate transistors that could have been GPU power to fix their Memory bandwidth concerns.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
Im personally interested to see how the camera comes into play for the system. Im not too interested in motion gaming, or a kinect like gesture system, but i just want to know what the plan is for the thing.
"If you cant stand the heat, then get the F*&k out of Africa!"- Some British Movie
It's not packed in to the console so the plan appears to be to ignore it completely.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
SHADOW Wrote:It's not packed in to the console so the plan appears to be to ignore it completely.

Good thing i wasn't drinking anything when i read this or it'd be all over my screen. HAHA!