Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
500 GB HDD - Is it large enough?
I never owned a PS3, but I plan on purchasing a PS4 and making it my first entirely-digital console game collection. Assuming that all retail games are also available as digital downloads, I will not be purchasing the physical disc versions of any games. I like the convenience of a Steam-like digital library, in addition to saving storage space in my house that is becoming increasingly cramped.

With that said, I wonder if a 500 GB HDD is large enough for this generation. Individual downloads could range as high as 50 GB, which means that someone might not be able to keep a bunch of games installed on the drive at one time. Am I off base to think that a 500 GB HDD is not going to be sufficient to store a decent-sized digital library? If so, are there external storage options or would I be better off waiting for a future revision with more internal storage?
500gb would not be enough if you're going full-on digital. Good thing is that you can upgrade the PS4's internal HDD. The PS3's usage of external HDDs didn't allow users to install games on them, Sony has yet to say otherwise so let's assume that didn't change.

So you can wait for a new SKU with a bigger HDD or if you're impatient just buy a PS4 plus a bigger HDD.
[Image: 1.png]
Follow me on Twitter....or not, your choice : @HardlyCLoudy
Go Browns! Go Tribe! Go Cavs!
Why do I continue to root, when we continue to lose? Love my city, Go Cleveland!
I would hope Sony would release a PS4 with a 1TB HDD. 500GB really isn't enough, especially if you're going to do a lot of digital transactions. It might be enough for ME because I despise having full games as digital files, but it probably won't be big enough for most.

And don't forget, games will just keep getting bigger in size. Remember at the start of the PS3 generation, we all thought 60GB was freakin' gigantic? I recall thinking I'd never fill that up in a million years. But this industry moves very, very quickly. :p
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
500 is fine assuming the download speeds on PSN improve substantially and this playing while you download feature actually works as advertised. If that all comes together just delete any games you aren't actively playing through and 500GB should be fine.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
I struggle even now iwth my 250gb but I just delete games im not playing or lost interest in. Before I do uninstall The Last Of Us I'll try the online side of things maybe a quick go tonight then that game is removed until I wish to play it again. I am not bothered about stuff like playing games again on game +1 or whatever it's called lol. So this will help me remove space so im hoping 500GB is enough.

Plus I don't like having a lot of digital content for the sole reason it fills your hd up quickly.
If you want to go 100% digital next generation 500GB won't even begin to cover it if you buy more than a handful of games every year. The Last of Us is like a 47GB download, and that's a PS3 game. Several of my Steam game downloads are in the 30GB range, and that number is just going to increase insanely next gen. It would not surprise me to see games, at the end of the next console cycle, approaching 100GB.

That said, 500GB is perfectly fine to start, and you shouldn't break the bank on a 2TB HDD right now. It'll actually be cheaper to buy a 500GB HDD now, and upgrade in a year or two when you can get a 2TB HDD for 1/4 of the price they're asking for now.
Well there is always a alternative, you can buy some games on PS4 blu-ray disc and that you can save some HDD space.
Hard drives are almost at the price point from over two years ago so by the time the PS4 releases, prices should be easier to handle. 3TB aren't at their lowest yet (still around $90) but they're almost down to normal. I remember some nice deals, before the floods, when we were getting 3TB for $70. One could easily get a very large drive, a nice enclosure, couple cables and run that right next to the PS4.
[Image: rmartinez10.png]

"Working out everyday, slapping the double chins. They're so purdy." :rofl:
yah, but you won't be able to save game data (game saves) on a externel HDD.. but could it work if you downloaded games off PSN to a externel HDD?
robodaddy-o Wrote:One could easily get a very large drive, a nice enclosure, couple cables and run that right next to the PS4.

AlexanderTH3GR8 Wrote:yah, but you won't be able to save game data (game saves) on a externel HDD.. but could it work if you downloaded games off PSN to a externel HDD?
Eh, what? :p
[Image: rmartinez10.png]

"Working out everyday, slapping the double chins. They're so purdy." :rofl: