Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Men Cry: What Game(s) Turned On The Waterworks For You?
Main Site Article.

Well no game has ever made me cry and that's the truth of it, but the closest I've gotten (and it was real close) was a scene in The Last of Us spoiler - (The beginning where Joels daughter dies), you'd want to be a heartless bastard for that not to hit a nerve.

But I do play a lot of games and whilst typing this out, I'm looking at my games and wondering why aren't there more games in my collection that could be plucking on the heart strings? It's not that I don't like games that tell a good story, I suppose there may of been a few moments in The Walking Dead that had an affect but I'm hard pressed to think of anything else.

Are there many games out there that get the water works going for you guys?
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: frostface

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
frostface Wrote:Main Site Article.

Well no game has ever made me cry and that's the truth of it, but the closest I've gotten (and it was real close) was a scene in The Last of Us spoiler - (The beginning where Joels daughter dies), you'd want to be a heartless bastard for that not to hit a nerve.

But I do play a lot of games and whilst typing this out, I'm looking at my games and wondering why aren't there more games in my collection that could be plucking on the heart strings? It's not that I don't like games that tell a good story, I suppose there may of been a few moments in The Walking Dead that had an affect but I'm hard pressed to think of anything else.

Are there many games out there that get the water works going for you guys?

Well, you may not have played the games with the best stories. A while ago, they were JRPGs, as Final Fantasy, Suikoden and other titles had long, epic stories with lots of emotion. The writing wasn't great but they still managed to convey tons of sentiment.

I guess the other would be the MGS series. From this generation, Heavy Rain, Journey, The Last Of Us, etc.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
Choked up a bit at the end of MGS4 when Raiden reunited with his son. Final Fantasy VIII's ending stirred up some emotion.

And I'm sure I'll get flak from someone over this but I could not have cared less when Aeris died in Final Fantasy VII.
Journey for me was quite sad at the end but it did not make me cry. Sometimes a story has touched me but nothing has made me cry yet.

I did enjoy the MGS 3 and 4 story at the end, also Heavy Rain was sad at times and especially The Last Of Us at the beginning.

I also quite liked the story and relationship between the girl and the guy called Monkey was it in Enslaved. I enjoyed that one quite a bit.
Journey was amazing and certainly left a big impression on me. It never made me cry but it stirred up plenty of emotions and no two Journeys where the same. And not even one piece of dialogue, just amazing.

But I see Final Fantasy come up quite a bit for emotion, I only ever really played the start of VII and gave up after 30hrs (I think) on XIII. I just don't see what it is I'm missing. I will reinstall VII just to find out what it is.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: frostface

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
frostface Wrote:Journey was amazing and certainly left a big impression on me. It never made me cry but it stirred up plenty of emotions and no two Journeys where the same. And not even one piece of dialogue, just amazing.

But I see Final Fantasy come up quite a bit for emotion, I only ever really played the start of VII and gave up after 30hrs (I think) on XIII. I just don't see what it is I'm missing. I will reinstall VII just to find out what it is.

Nothing about XIII would make you cry...unless you're just a die-hard FF fan and you're watching the start of the downward spiral of a once-great franchise.

VII is extremely powerful to me, even today. But for those who never played it before, I'm not sure it will withstand the test of time.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
The only game that i blubbed over was the ending of ico. Damn I loved that game.

Btw Ben, you copying frostys post made his spoiler show up...
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
frostface Wrote:Journey was amazing and certainly left a big impression on me. It never made me cry but it stirred up plenty of emotions and no two Journeys where the same. And not even one piece of dialogue, just amazing.

VII doesn't really have a very good story, IMO, and the one part that might evoke some emotion has been spoiled for you 100 times over in the past 15 years, and even by me ITT. It's a good game, but not because of it's story, which is about 40 hours of "have you seen a man in a black cape?", "oh you just missed him, he went to the next town!" followed by a fight that lost all meaning thanks to one of the story's plot twists.

If anything I'd want you to play it just to see if you end up being one of the seemingly millions of fans who completely misunderstood the story and think Sephiroth was actually the villain.

Anyway if you want a FF that has a good, emotionally provocative story, go with FFIX or X. I'd recommend VIII but that game will make you want to tear your eyes out, and while the story has some great personal moments between characters, it also has some of the dumbest plotting ever conceived in a game.
Spartan119 Wrote:It's a good game, but not because of it's story, which is about 40 hours of "have you seen a man in a black cape?", "oh you just missed him, he went to the next town!"

That's just a really terrible summary. Most people don't miss that Sephiroth isn't the villain; they miss about a hundred other nuances between characters and various story tangents that have been lost among the cries of, "FFVII isn't that good!"
-- Plato

-- Elbert Hubbard
Ben D. Wrote:That's just a really terrible summary. Most people don't miss that Sephiroth isn't the villain; they miss about a hundred other nuances between characters and various story tangents that have been lost among the cries of, "FFVII isn't that good!"

It was obviously sarcastic, on par with summaries of Shenmue being all about Ryo trying to find some sailors, but a good chunk of the game literally is Cloud and the crew following Sephiroth from town to town. From the point you leave Midgar to well after the Golden Saucer you're just going from place to place and being told you just missed a guy in a black cape.

And enough people missed that Sephiroth isn't the villain to the point that Square later retconned the shit out of the game to capitalize on all the misplaced love and beliefs about the guy. So many times I've pointed out to people that Jenova is the real villain and they're like "Whaaaaaaaaat?" and it's almost understandable if it's a 15 year old kid, because the translation is often pretty terrible (but understandable for its time), but when adults miss that, or never realize it later on, it just boggles my mind.

There's a lot about FFVII that is, indeed, pretty great. I just think the story is a pretty big weak spot, especially compared to other stories, and I think the game is massively overrated by a lot of people because when they first played it as kids they'd never seen anything like it. My first FF game was actually VIII, and I went back after that and played VII, and perhaps because of that I just wasn't as impressed as people who cut their FF teeth on VII.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim The Best Game Of The Generation? cLoudou 0 9,131 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Should Game Of The Year Rely Solely On Review Scores? The Benny (Macho) 0 9,587 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: