Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Believe The Next-Gen Consoles Will Be The Last?
Simply put, no, it won't be the last by far.

I don't think anything will change about physical distribution. There is simply too much money in it.

Any adverse changes to physical distribution would result in loss of revenue for the games companies.

Retailers like Gamestop represent a large chunk of sales, digital sales MAY be up, but they are years away from overtaking physical sales. I've said this so many times, but all digital means putting a much larger strain on the broadband infrastructures of the world, and there is much of the world which is not ready for this.
Akuma07 Wrote:Any adverse changes to physical distribution would result in loss of revenue for the games companies.

Publishers absolutely want all digital distribution, because it only helps their bottom line. Digital distribution means no used games, which alone means hundreds of millions, if not billions, more going to publishers instead of bullshit d-bag companies like GameStop.

It also means drastically reduced distribution costs. No more physical manufacturing of games, packaging, manuals, etc., no more physical transportation costs of flying games all over the world, the only real distribution cost would be bandwidth.

And roughly 100% of territories that publishers care about have at least some form of broadband. Even in first world countries with "poor" broadband, the average person already has connection speeds more than adequate for an all digital distribution model. I recall you being upset that you and folks you know in Australia only having around 10Mbps connections. 10Mbps is more than enough. For years I was on a 7Mbps DSL connection, and I still easily downloaded the average, uncompressed Steam game in a few hours. Ridiculously huge, 20GB+ game files like RAGE still installed overnight, and 7Mbps connections are pretty much in the lowest 10% of connections in the civilized world. 10 years from now, when the PS4/One generation is over, the average connection speed will be well over 50Mbps if not higher.

Digital distribution is a super appealing business model for the industry. The only people who really get hurt by it is GameStop/GAME/EB/Your Local Equivalent, and I can't stress enough how happy I'll be when that industry is ashes.
Akuma07 Wrote:Simply put, no, it won't be the last by far.

I don't think anything will change about physical distribution. There is simply too much money in it.

Any adverse changes to physical distribution would result in loss of revenue for the games companies.

Retailers like Gamestop represent a large chunk of sales, digital sales MAY be up, but they are years away from overtaking physical sales. I've said this so many times, but all digital means putting a much larger strain on the broadband infrastructures of the world, and there is much of the world which is not ready for this.

I agree with you I love physical buying my games... cause I WANT to own what I buy ... I for one HATE digital... I understand WHY people love it...
but I don't and I will never will

here's a video to help people understand what trying to say Akuma07
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode...rum-crunch

Smile
.~ I'm Just A Dreamer, I Dream My Life Away ~.
GreenHorn Wrote:I agree with you I love physical buying my games... cause I WANT to own what I buy ... I for one HATE digital... I understand WHY people love it...
but I don't and I will never will

here's a video to help people understand what trying to say Akuma07
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode...rum-crunch

Smile

You don't own what's on the disc you buy any more than someone owns what's in the digital file they buy.
Spartan119 Wrote:You don't own what's on the disc you buy any more than someone owns what's in the digital file they buy.

Spartan119
I am not wasting my time with you
YOU are not worth it ... :W:

If that's what you "believe" fine
I don't really care...
GreenHorn Wrote:Spartan119
I am not wasting my time with you
YOU are not worth it ... :W:

If that's what you "believe" fine
I don't really care...

This isn't a matter of subjective opinion. You quite literally, as a point of law, do not own the content on the discs you buy. Read any End User License Agreement that comes with any game disc you have ever bought, it's all right there in the fine print. Buying a disc or buying a digital copy doesn't change the fact that you are merely purchasing a license to experience that content.

Not surprising that you don't want to "waste your time" with objective, indisputable facts.
Spartan119 Wrote:This isn't a matter of subjective opinion. You quite literally, as a point of law, do not own the content on the discs you buy. Read any End User License Agreement that comes with any game disc you have ever bought, it's all right there in the fine print. Buying a disc or buying a digital copy doesn't change the fact that you are merely purchasing a license to experience that content.

Not surprising that you don't want to "waste your time" with objective, indisputable facts.

[Image: facepalm95.jpg]
GreenHorn Wrote:[Image: facepalm95.jpg]

[Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original]

The irony might actually kill me
Spartan119 Wrote:[Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original] [Image: icon_biggrin_zps53f43018.gif~original]

The irony might actually kill me

there is no irony cause you don't understand what it means to own something -_-

data code is not real.. a code that locked down under that user
you may shear it with some people ... but it has it's limit

a box you hold in your hand a disc hold is real
you give it to some one you can sell it and you trade it
and any user name can play that disc... THAT'S owning it
own the disc means you own it it has NO limit

that's WHY DRM was a big deal on xbox one....

god, Spartan119... look I repect you ... and I agree with you from time to time... but sometime you can be a really big dumb ass... and out right a sad little man...

becase I should not hand to say what it means to OWN is ....
you picking a fight where a FIGHT was not needed "again"

(so go a head and post what ever shit you got to say to... make your self feel better) :W:

I'm done with you
*get's up walks off*
Spartan119 Wrote:10 years from now, when the PS4/One generation is over, the average connection speed will be well over 50Mbps if not higher.
The next city over gets 100Mb right now. That ISP isn't over here and that blows. I have a friend that works for that ISP and he informed me that they will be going to 200-300Mb within the next year. Bastards...
[Image: rmartinez10.png]

"Working out everyday, slapping the double chins. They're so purdy." :rofl:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do Nintendo consoles beep so much? sean009 3 1,480 01-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  SF4.. War of the consoles. dillonthebunny 0 2,922 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Thinking about future consoles SHADOW 0 2,234 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Take a look at this - Kepler does real time ray tracing - Next gen consoles? TheHighlander 0 4,292 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: