Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Believe The Next-Gen Consoles Will Be The Last?
Spartan119 Wrote:But consoles as we know them today aren't at all like consoles as we knew them even 15 years ago. Consoles are always evolving like all hardware with software delivery services.

... And that would have been my argument too, if someone indeed would say that it's "consoles as we know it" they mean.

Spartan119 Wrote:I would assume 'last generation of console' to be the last time there is a specific life cycle of set hardware designed to deliver software, at which point another 'generation' would take over.

That might be it. But it seems to me that people talk about this as there will be no consoles after this generation.

Spartan119 Wrote:I mean if you think about it, we only talk about PC games in relation to generation (e.g. 'I think this game was best of the generation') because of the current model of consoles having finite life cycles. Without consoles we wouldn't define PC games that way at all.

Yeah that's kinda funny. I wonder how we then would have segmented the game periods. By decade?
PSN & Steam & Wordfeud & UniWar: Beamboom
Beamboom Wrote:.
Yeah that's kinda funny. I wonder how we then would have segmented the game periods. By decade?

I was thinking about that after I posted last night, but I'm back home visiting family so I forgot to edit my post. I imagine it'd go by 'era' or something that closely aligned with decade and/or significant advances in GPUs, but probably decade, kinda the same way we group movies by decade without really acknowledging incremental advancements in filmmaking technology.
Spartan119 Wrote:probably decade, kinda the same way we group movies by decade without really acknowledging incremental advancements in filmmaking technology.

Exactly. Or music.

What's interesting is that when we look back we indeed can sort by decade. It works. The music from the 60s did have a special recognizable sound, as did the 70s, 80s and 90s too. Same with movies.

But did games? Can we say a game is "typically 90s", or '00?
Beamboom Wrote:But did games? Can we say a game is "typically 90s", or '00?

That's an interesting thought. Do games over decades share common themes in storytelling or design that could define them in such a way?
[Image: Deadman216.png]

Deadman Wrote:That's an interesting thought. Do games over decades share common themes in storytelling or design that could define them in such a way?

I think so. Maybe not entire decades, but then movies don't really, either. There are, though, predominate themes that span years. In the early 90s there was an infatuation with FMV games, the late 90s saw a huge boom in the popularity of JRPGs in the west, the early 00s were all about WWII shooters and Halo knockoffs, we had an extended love affair with motion games, etc.
EDIT - NM, no point. Felt good to type it out at least :rox:
The gaming decades to me:

The 80s: Single player arcade gaming.

The 90s: To me the 90s symbolize the rise of FPS and multiplayer gaming. Two words: Doom, Quake.
It also symbolize the start of real stories in games.

The 00s: Multiplayer gaming expands into MMORPGs. Single player gaming expanding into exploring "player choices".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do Nintendo consoles beep so much? sean009 3 1,401 01-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  SF4.. War of the consoles. dillonthebunny 0 2,859 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Thinking about future consoles SHADOW 0 2,178 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Take a look at this - Kepler does real time ray tracing - Next gen consoles? TheHighlander 0 4,161 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: