Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS4 Review
With the launch only a few days away im making a place holder for users to review the PS4.

Think we should stick to the aspects of :

Hardware - How well the hardware holds up and how much you do/dont like the look of it.
Interface - If the UI is to your liking, and what you do/don't like about it.
Service - Is PS+ worth having mandatory? Do you like its predictability features? FaceBook, Twitch, Netflix delivery ETC.
Games - How awesome or horrible are the games are
[Image: 2845548806.png]
"If you cant stand the heat, then get the F*&k out of Africa!"- Some British Movie
...just got this. Trying to test out the new shoulder buttons on BF4 but I don't know how to switch the layout. Wanted to spring for the camera also but didn't, Knack sold out everywhere I looked.

Three days away, can't wait.

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">IMG_20131112_212145.jpg (Size: 98.44 KB / Downloads: 6)
[Image: 1.png]
Follow me on Twitter....or not, your choice : @HardlyCLoudy
Go Browns! Go Tribe! Go Cavs!
Why do I continue to root, when we continue to lose? Love my city, Go Cleveland!
Reviews coming in...

Eurogamer
Polygon - scored 7.5
Kotaku
Joystiq
CVG

The biggest gripes are lack of games (Killzone isn't scoring as great as expected), missing features at launch and no way to organise stuff showing in the UI.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: frostface

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
It's still on my day one last as it's part of my bundle.... But i do hope it scores better than 7.5 overall.
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
Yeah I hope so. But keep in mind, there's a lot of features to be added that will raise the score and hopefully any launch day bugs will be ironed out fairly quickly. It's kinda disheartening to hear of the potential HDMI problem with the early adapter consoles but we'll see better after tomorrow just how wide-spread that's gonna be or was it just a bad early batch? Keeping fingers crossed.

edit: I may actually get whatever the latest Fifa is. I'm not a footie fan but I do enjoy the games on consoles. Last years one on the Vita is superb.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: frostface

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
Unfortunately i will not be able to play my brand new PS4 on launch day as i had wanted. I was sent on a company network deployment trip yesterday and i will not be home until the 27th. So my PS4 is going to sit in its nice little box until then....all alone....
"If you cant stand the heat, then get the F*&k out of Africa!"- Some British Movie
My PS4 review.

This is part one of my review of the PS4 after 1 week of use. I’ll be taking a look at 4 overall categories all with their own sub categories. Each subsequent categories will receive a rating from 1 to 10 totaling an average for the overall category. Just as with any review this is mostly my opinion so, if you disagree with it, please feel free to let me know and why. I only ask that it is done in an intelligent manner rather than not (shouldn't have much trouble here)

Part One - Hardware (8 of 10)

Reliability (10 of 10 (as of now) )

With “many” reports of the Sony’s new machine facing early hardware problems ranging from blinking red, blue, white or whatever color to HDMI not working I’m glad to report that my Ps4 is working just fine. It’s very quiet, just as or quieter in fact than my Ps3 slim model. The most noise I've heard from it came from when I put in the KillZone: Shadow Fall disc and started playing, but this sound seems limited to just that game as Battle Field 4 on disc makes little to no noise at all. So currently in my book the reliability passes with flying colors. But as the days and weeks role by we’ll see what happens and thus I reserve my right to change this rating.

Looks/Style (8 of 10)

At first when I saw the PS4 I had my doubts to its look. It had these new sharp edges and to loosely quote Top Gears Jeremy Clarkson it seems, “The designers were given only a ruler.” But upon receiving my half shiny half matte system with its “brand new” smell I must say that I rather like the looks of this little black box. Coming in around the same size as the Ps3 slim it fits in well with the rest of my electronic things. However nothing is perfect. The one gloss panel is of course a fingerprint magnet and also scratches EXTREMELY EASILY. They could have easily made this panel matte like the rest of the system and I’m just not sure why they didn't. I don’t think it does anything for the system at all. So the looks department gets a little ding but stays strong.

Controller (8 of 10)

This is the part of the system hardware that really shines. Just as with the reveal of the systems overall look, I was a bit skeptical of the new Dual Shock 4. Gone are the familiar Start and Select buttons of previous versions and replaced with Share and Options. Also there’s this clicky touch pad right in the middle. Unlike the system itself, the controller designers were given more than a ruler and the controller handles are more rounded, looking more like the ends of a cucumber. And a light bar? You can’t be serious. In fact the only thing I wasn’t skeptical of were the new shoulder buttons being redesigned to curve out rather than in.
But then I got to actually hold the thing and I have to say, all skepticism is gone. Cucumber handles are perfect and morph perfectly into a something that cradles even my rather large hands. It also feels very solid as if I was made as one piece, not two halves put together. I know its two halves and I can see the line but it doesn’t at all feel flexy/breakable. And yet all this rigidness is not heavy at all. Other useful little features would be the built in speaker accompanied with the microphone jack. I thought the speaker was a bit weird and trying too hard to take a page out of Nintendo’s book but it’s all in how you use it. KillZone used it to read voice diaries, which turned out pretty awesome. It allows you to distinguish the recording and its message from the rest of the environment.
The touch pad takes a little getting used to, but eventually makes sense. The share button is a cool idea and I can see everyone’s use of it, but I haven’t had the time to sit down and make sense of it. Options is good, but I still find my brain stuck with “start” and it being more in the middle. The thumb sticks were also redesigned to be more slip resistant and they defiantly are by the use of a raised edge and coated with a higher friction rubber incurring a slight trade off. The rubber maybe have more grip but just as the same with a tire, higher grip means lower life span. I see these things being rubbed down to the plastic within 6 months by hardcore everyday gamers. Also every once in a while I’d see the controllers communication with the system go out while in wireless and one time it completely turned off by itself on a full battery.
Little things dinged this awesome piece of hardware but it still comes in strong. I’ll have to add a section later when I get the camera and use the light bar for something.

HDD Upgrade (6 of 10)

One of the best features this system could possibly have over it competition and yet the experience/process of doing so is a little convoluted. One of those situations where the instructions make it seem very simple, but forget to mention an important step or two that leaves the average consumer scratching their heads.
Seemed simple enough at first. Power down the console, unplug it, take off the cover, unscrew the sled, unscrew the drive, put the new drive in and reverse the process. Upon start-up you are greeted with a safe mode screen asking you for the newest system update image form a usb hard drive and this is where it gets a bit confusing. It says it wants the newest updated image, leading you to believe that it wants the UPDATE image while in fact it wants the whole SYSTEM image that is the latest version, which is located in a completely different place on playstation.com. Next up was its inability to read a usb formatted in NTFS. Instead of telling you it can’t read the usb because it requires a different file format it just simply says there isn’t one plugged into the machine. Frustrating to say the least because I can see it’s plugged into the machine.
At the end of the day it seemed to be an accidentally frustrating process that could have been handled better. I shouldn’t have had to investigate what the system was wanting me to do. By the time I was done I still got my 1.5 TB HDD in and the auto upload to cloud storage of my save game files made transitioning a breeze. Just wish it took me a few minutes rather than a few hours.
I was going to start a new thread title "A Gamers PS4 Review", because I am over seeing all the reviews from sites that were upset when they realized their PS4 didn't make their breakfast for them in the morning, and tucked them into bed at night.

Console (9/10): The console did basically everything that I wanted it to, play next-gen games, and show me what next-gen means. And it does them both well. It took me a few days to find some missing features that I used on the PS3 during my gaming, and they are few and far between. The "What's New" feed was disabled for the first week and I only just got it yesterday, but it is pretty cool. Deducted points for the issues below, which peeve me to no end.

Offline trophies: It is so frustrating that the trophies sync EVERY time you go into the trophy menu. Especially when I seem to have a bug right now where it won't sync my trophies fully. So I have to wait for the sync to fail before looking at any games otherwise it boots me out of the trophies menu.

Pausing downloads: Not being able to pause downloads means I can no longer queue up downloads like I used to. My internet isn't the best, so downloading multiple files at once is not feasible as it slows them all down. This was annoying when I first booted it up, and had to download multiple updates as well as PSN games.

Reliability (10/10): Despite all of the knee-jerk reactions to a couple of hundred broken consoles, the number of defective units has proven to be extremely low. Luckily mine works perfectly. It is very quiet.

Design (10/10): I love the design of the console, I can't believe it will receive a slim version in a few years. The interior design of the components is surprisingly great. So much better than the brute force approach of the XB1. The fact that the unit is smaller than the Xb1 and even has the power unit built in is just proof of that. The UI is also very nice, and a great evolution of the XMB. It was very easy to understand, and finding all the settings and information I needed was painless.

UDD Upgrade (10/10): Quick, easy, simple process, had zero issues with this and was finished in minutes. Replaced the HDD with a 1.5TB 9.5mm drive. Updated quickly and was playing games quickly.

Controller (10/10): The controller is a huge improvement over the DS3, I didn't actually notice any bad things about the DS3 until I used the DS4. Going back to play my PS3 now is a bit awkward. I really like the new thumbsticks, the new triggers are more comfortable to use and the controller has actually been designed with ergonomics in mind. The light bar on the back is a nice change from simple lights like the DS3, and the way that KZ:SF used the Light Bar is a very nice touch that I think other devs should use as inspiration to find their own ways to use it. I also see some good ideas for the touchpad, unfortunately there is no games doing anything cool with it. I'm interesting in using the Infamous touchpad features. The only thing I dislike is that shooters are using the triggers for primary firing now.

EDIT: Just reminded me about the speaker! I LOVE the speaker on the controller. It freaked me out when I was playing Resogun and my controller spoke to me. I can see some pretty great things coming from this. Killzone used it for audio diaries and was a realllllly nice touch. It really does differentiate it from the ingame audio, and is even more believable. I have awesome visions of a game where an in-game AI speaks to you through the controller. Or a character in-game that can be sucked into your controller. Or even things like your in-game character breathing or talking through it.

Killzone - Shadow Fall (9/10): This game deserves more than what it has received from critics, but then again, I stopped putting my faith in game critics a long time ago. The graphics are amazing, it is the best looking next-gen game. The controls feel so much tighter than KZ3 and it is such a nice change. It feels snappy and responsive while still keeping a small sense of weight. Not sure if this is the result of the DS4 or game design, but I love it. The game has seen improvements overall, and is the pinnacle of the KZ franchise so far. This game also proved once again, why I prefer the Helghast over the ISA. The ISA are racist, egotistical maniacs. I really liked that they tried to show a different side of the Helghast, in the past they were presented as the Axis powers, but in truth, they are just people trying to defend their homes. I hope the next KZ shows more of that.

Battlefield 4 (8/10): This is actually a great game, when it works. I haven't played too much SP just yet, spending all my time in MP, and MP is very unstable at the moment. You have constant audio bugs (that was NOT fixed with the update), complete game crashes, server crashes, lag spikes, bad net code, etc. BUT when you get a game that works well, it is VERY fun, and the increased number of players makes it an intense experience. The graphics are much improved over BF3 on PS3, the game looks incredible, definitely worth getting on PS4. I REALLY dislike that DICE decided to cram triggers down our throat by making them mandatory for primary firing, with no option to revert back to R1 and L1. Using triggers seems best as a secondary fire, unless using a control method that can apply different levels of pressure, such as the pace that you run in ACIV. I DEFINITELY prefer using R1 and L1, and since every other shooter allows you to change it is very annoying. I deducted 2 points for the bugs and the trigger requirement.

Assassins Creed IV - Black Flag (10/10): This is an amazing game. My favourite game on my PS4 right now. Every year I platinum the AC game, then I say "enough is enough, I don't want another AC next year", then Ubisoft announces a new game and I come crawling back drooling all over the place. I have loved every second of ACIV so far, it has been very enjoyable. I have not found any bugs besides the same old parkour problems, which are not really bugs. I didn't know how they could improve on the Ship gameplay but they did, it is SO much fun, and oddly fits perfectly into the AC world. Edward is a fun character and I can't wait to see the rest of his journey. Makes me wonder how Haythem turned into the person he did. The game world is absolutely huge. This is the AC game that has convinced me to have faith in Ubi. I now believe that AC is the only annual franchise that is successful, and I actually can't wait to see where they take it next.

Call of Duty - Ghosts (7/10): I defended the game, I gave it a chance, but I now agree with the lower scores it got. I don't agree with the majority of the reasons for those scores though. This game is quite frankly, the odd one out in the series. It feels so shallow. So much depth has been taken away. The game overall just feels 'less'. I actually find myself enjoying BLOPS2 more. The class customization was meant to be better, but the whole squad points thing just ruins it. Feels like a microtransaction just waiting to happen. People say that this game is just more of the same, well I have played every COD since MW and I find myself saying the opposite, that it does not feel like any of the previous games. It really feels like they didn't put the same effort into this game that they used to. So much feels missing. The maps are larger, which ended up being a bad thing because for some reason even on the PS4 we still only have 12 player matches???? Every year COD takes a step up, this year it took a few down.

Resogun (10/10): What can I say about Resogun besides the fact that it is amazing. Housemarque have done it again. So addictive, so fun, and so beautiful. It took me a few minutes to realize that the beauty isn't even in the graphics, the beauty is the sheer number of on screen objects at one time. Try boosting around the map until the max number of units have spawned, then hit them with Overdrive or a bomb to see what I am talking about. Thousands and thousands of poly's all with real-time physics all reacting at once.

I have Warframe, but haven't played it yet. I might also try Blacklight. Overall, I am VERY satisfied with my purchases. Anyone who says the line up is crap is fooling themselves. The multiplatform games on offer alone justify the purchase, as they are all much improved over the previous-gen versions. I can not wait to see what next year brings us, and it looks like the next game on my list will now be Tomb Raider PS4 edition, followed up by some smokin' Delsin in Infamous:SS. Sucks that Destiny was delayed, so I am trying to shut the game out of my mind till the beta date is revealed.

I was expecting the lack of USB support to be a huge issue for me, as my PS3 was my main media device. But due to the fact that the PS4 no longer supports AV out for audio, I had to buy a whole new entertainment system that supports HDMI in (my old one was just a logitech PC setup). So I now have a standalone bluray player in my room which I now use for watching movies and playing music and videos off of my USB drives. So I have not noticed the lack of this feature at all.

It would also be nice to copy a feature that the XB1 has, where it tracks the progress of your trophies. So if you have a trophy for "Kill 5 guards" it will track the progress of that trophy. Nice touch I will admit.
EddPm6 Wrote:
My PS4 review.

HDD Upgrade (6 of 10)

One of the best features this system could possibly have over it competition and yet the experience/process of doing so is a little convoluted. One of those situations where the instructions make it seem very simple, but forget to mention an important step or two that leaves the average consumer scratching their heads.
Seemed simple enough at first. Power down the console, unplug it, take off the cover, unscrew the sled, unscrew the drive, put the new drive in and reverse the process. Upon start-up you are greeted with a safe mode screen asking you for the newest system update image form a usb hard drive and this is where it gets a bit confusing. It says it wants the newest updated image, leading you to believe that it wants the UPDATE image while in fact it wants the whole SYSTEM image that is the latest version, which is located in a completely different place on playstation.com. Next up was its inability to read a usb formatted in NTFS. Instead of telling you it can’t read the usb because it requires a different file format it just simply says there isn’t one plugged into the machine. Frustrating to say the least because I can see it’s plugged into the machine.
At the end of the day it seemed to be an accidentally frustrating process that could have been handled better. I shouldn’t have had to investigate what the system was wanting me to do. By the time I was done I still got my 1.5 TB HDD in and the auto upload to cloud storage of my save game files made transitioning a breeze. Just wish it took me a few minutes rather than a few hours.

Sony had posted instructions onto playstation.com on how to upgrade your HDD, including the file to use. There was a few sites out there that posted incorrect information about how to do it. For example one site posted that you needed both the system file and the update file and both in the wrong locations.

Also, the PS3 never supported NTFS format. NTFS is a format that Microsoft forced onto everyone with Windows. Not sure if it works with MAC either.
What you are talking about with NTFS isn't the file format, it is the drive format. If the drive is formatted in a way that is not supported by the receiving device, then it basically cannot detect it at all. It's like knocking on a painting of a door on a wall. The door won't open no matter what you do, and you can't even be sure it is a door at all.
We bought my nephew a PS4 for his birthday. Personally I think it's far too soon because of the lack of any exclusives worth the purchase, but he wanted one and he doesn't have a PC that can run the multiplats. With three of us contributing it was only £100 each so that's not terrible. Initial thoughts, on Edd's criteria:

Hardware - It has a very distinct shape. I like the big, obvious power light, it's a quiet machine and I've not noticed it getting warm at all.

Sony almost seem embarrassed that the machine had to have function as well as form though, as they've done their best to hide the drive and the power & eject buttons (I had to actually point them out to my nephew). It's not a trend I'm keen on, I have two AOC monitors because they're decent and pretty inexpensive but AOC hate buttons. One of the monitors has them hidden in the stand itself (you have to just press the whole stand in, there are no physical buttons) so you can't go by touch at all, and the second one has them hidden on the back of the monitor, so you can't see them at all and have to go by touch. You're a device, you have function, embrace it!

The controller seems fine so far. The touch-pad seems massively gimmicky, a knee-jerk reaction to the popularity of tablets and smartphones right now, but then I've not had a game actually use it yet.

Interface - Obviously everything that was horrible about the PS3's interface stemmed from them having to hastily change the whole thing once they saw what Microsoft had done with the 360. The system wasn't built to have it all accessible while a game was running or to allow the functionality they had to bolt on, so the whole thing was pretty clunky. The PS4 has none of those issues. It's slick and responsive even in game, and so far I haven't found anything that you can't access while a game's running.

I only have two issues with it so far. The first is that the main part of the interface just seems to collect everything you ever access, so it's a long list of games and apps. The Kindle Fire does the exact same thing, literally just throwing everything you interact with in there, but it allows you to remove things from it and has a favourites menu so you don't even have to look at the clutter to get to the things you always use. I haven't found either functionality yet on the PS4.

The other is with the sharing. I figured the console was always actively recording, maybe the last five minutes or fifteen minutes or something, so that as soon as something cool happens you can hit Share and grab those last few minutes. Unless there's an option I've not found yet that doesn't seem to be the case with the PS4, you have to actively start recording beforehand, so you kind of have to anticipate that something cool might happen, which isn't so good because the games that generate those moments of awesomeness are generally sandbox ones where things happen unpredictably.

Service - I bought my nephew a Plus subscription as part of his presents, but it remains to be seen whether it's actually worth it. This month's free PS4 titles aren't particularly impressive.

Games - We didn't get any exclusives because, you know, why would we? The multiplats we did get though run well and actually look good (if you ever put PS3 multiplats besides a PC running the same game the PS3's output was embarassing). Obviously to an extent Sony are just delivering on the 1080p HD experience that both they and Microsoft promised at the start of the PS3/360 generation, but that they do seem to be delivering it this is still something (and seems to be more than Microsoft are managing).
ATTENTION - Unless otherwise specified, all opinions stated in the above post should be interpreted as the personal opinions of The Benny (Macho) and not objective fact, even when said opinions are inarguably superior to all other opinions in the thread.

[Image: uc.png]
Stm | XB | PS | WP | FB