Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franchise lick of paint
This is the article I am talking about

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps4-news/1100.html

In my view I have 2 left field candidates, and although I agree with some of the suggestions I've read from the comments I have two very left field suggestions.

Knights of the Sky (Amiga 1200) and MechWarrior (PC)

I absolutely loved both of these games and would like to see them brought back with a new coat of paint but with NO gameplay changes.

Yes, technically both these titles are a little slow and ponderous in terms of gameplay but that was part of their charm.

KotS had completely open ended gameplay. Of course you start the mission with a specific goal be that destroy an enemy target or protect and allied target but you really could do whatever you want. When you started to get damaged, run out of fuel or ammo you only had to find an allied landing strip. Once you landed and turned off your engine you could end the mission... or restart your engine refueled, repaired and rearmed and take off again and carry on. You could spend hours just on one mission, amassing kills.

MechWarrior 4 specifically had my heart. As mentioned it was a slow paced game but then what do you expect from 60 foot machines. You had to carefully manage your heat whilst also being very aware of your surroundings. You couldn't just spin on the spot and twitch kill. You would need to line up your target carefully think about flanking and be mindful of the targets specifications. You might creep up on your enemy but if you are outclassed in power/armour/weaponry then you need to have an entirely different approach to how you try for the kill. It wasn't just a case of point-shoot-dead.

I would also give honourable mention to Frontier Elite 2 as I would love to have a more modern looking version however I stand by my earlier remark for NO gameplay changes.

I think any of the 3 above could be achieved in a PSN only title from an Indy developer and still be very enjoyable.

So friends, what would you like to see?

EDIT::
I want to keep focus strongly on single player too.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
None. Reboots, in general, are stupid. There are a few exceptions, but I'd rather see developers take some risks rather than keep revisiting the same damn IPs forever.
I would agree with recent franchises as there is no need to remake them however KotS was released in 1991 Frontier Elite 2 in 1993 and I'm not sure about MW4. early 2000's?

Those old dead ones would benefit from a fresh look.

If we only had new ideas and IP's then we might lose those which we really enjoyed. Not all new IP's are good Smile I would appreciate a mix of the two and we can ditch the unnecessary annual sequels instead.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
Gabriel013 Wrote:I would agree with recent franchises as there is no need to remake them however KotS was released in 1991 Frontier Elite 2 in 1993 and I'm not sure about MW4. early 2000's?

Those old dead ones would benefit from a fresh look.

If we only had new ideas and IP's then we might lose those which we really enjoyed. Not all new IP's are good Smile I would appreciate a mix of the two and we can ditch the unnecessary annual sequels instead.

Right, I'm not saying there are none, just none that I would personally want. Maybe Life Force, but even that would probably end up sucking like the million Gradius clones out there today.
I've often wished that a few PS1 games were redone. Like the first couple of Tenchu's. The last few sucked, but I remember playing the first couple over and over and wish they would bring them back to what they were.

Although I do have to kind of agree on Spartan on this one...it's kind of like the FFVII debate. Even if they do remake it, I don't think it will give me the same sense of awe that I got from playing it the first time on the PS1, It's kind of like going to watch a cover of your favourite band..entertaining, but not really the same as the real deal.

I guess part of the problem is that if you change the games too much, the original fans will tear you a new one all over the internet, (See rabid Socom fan boys who think that the last good socom was #2......) If you don't change it enough, the only people who will buy it, will be the handful of remaining fans who remember the original, while your potential "new" fans, will tear it a new one all over the internet for being outdated and dull.. If you are going to spend all that time and money trying to find that happy medium, you might as well put it in a new IP and make everyone happy (Which never happens btw...)
[Image: ch1n00k.png]