Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Talk About No Man's Sky
As you may have noticed, we recently ran an article discussing the changes to No Man's Sky over the years:

https://psxextreme.com/second-look-no-mans-sky/

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's thoughts were, as at least a few comments on the article itself made it clear that not everyone saw things the same way as I did, and I'd love to get some more feedback, as we most definitely welcome different opinions on the content that we provide for you.

If you've played No Man's Sky, I'd love to know - did you feel like Hello Games misled you about the content of the game at launch? If so, do you think they've made good on delivering what was promised?
I need to go back to it. I didn't get the game at launch, instead I waited and got it cheap on sale many months later and wasn't all that impressed. Then there was a massive update which completely changed the game and I started to get into it. Haven't touched it again though since then. Because I got the game cheap and taking into consideration the massive updates, I never felt short changed on the game.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: @thebadbearddude

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
(04-09-2018, 05:05 AM)frostface Wrote: I need to go back to it. I didn't get the game at launch, instead I waited and got it cheap on sale many months later and wasn't all that impressed. Then there was a massive update which completely changed the game and I started to get into it. Haven't touched it again though since then. Because I got the game cheap and taking into consideration the massive updates, I never felt short changed on the game.

I was definitely surprised at how much depth the Atlas Rises update added to the game. It provided roughly 40-45 hours of story and some real motivation to keep going deeper into the galactic core. I'd definitely recommend giving it another shot.
I remember actually quite enjoying the game at launch. I was happily scanning and naming all the flora and fauna on my starter planet, then my starter system, I was steadily learning the Gek language, and even found one system where the space station was buying certain items for much more than the incoming ships were selling it for, so just ran back and forth in a few trips, cleaned them out and bought myself a great big ship. I didn't feel short-changed by what we got.

It's still fair to say that Hello Games (or Sean Murray) completely exaggerated about what they were putting in the game, to an extent where even Peter Molyneux would have been telling them to dial it down a bit. Murray was clearly in love with the game he wanted to make, and didn't much care if he told people about that instead of what his team had actually managed to get into a workable build. Hello Games are doing the right thing though. They've mostly kept quiet since the backlash and just knuckled down on getting free content updates out. I haven't gone back to it yet since before the first big update, but at some point I really do want to set some time aside for it.
Currently Playing: Shadow of War (PC) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)
The best thing that Hello Games / Sean Murray could have done and did was to just keep quiet. I think the biggest problem was the game was announced way, way too soon. People got hyped about it and Sean isn't a showman, he's a dude who makes games with a small team and over night was dealing with more publicity than he probably ever expected for his small space exploration game . I don't believe he ever intentionally set out to deceive anyone.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: @thebadbearddude

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
Whether Hello Games and Sony (because let's not forget their role in this) was intentionally deceiving or not (I think it's probably more complex than that), I think the important thing to consider going forward is that they've delivered almost, if not all, that they promised. No point going back and re-litigating the past, I say.
Yeah, exactly. Everybody makes mistakes. But if somebody then makes a serious effort to make amends it's not really fair to keep bringing up the mistake and throwing it back at them. They aren't gaining anything from working on all these free updates except goodwill.
Currently Playing: Shadow of War (PC) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)
I'm happy to see everybody here being cool with No Man's Sky. I've liked the game from the start even with all the moaning people were doing. I can kind of see where they were coming from though but some people got pretty mean about it if we're honest. No Man's Sky is pretty good now. I found out the other day one of my friends enjoys it too and we play for a lot of the same reasons. It seems like cult following almost lol.
Honestly, even if the game had been as bad a betrayal as people claimed it never would have deserved the level of backlash it received. A developer over-promised and released a bad game? That's disappointing, get a refund if you can and move on, and maybe next time wait until a game has launched and the reviews come in before you board that hype train and expect the largest, deepest, most amazing sci-fi simulation ever from the tiny indie team behind Joe Danger.
(11 hours ago)mortae3 Wrote: I'm happy to see everybody here being cool with No Man's Sky. I've liked the game from the start even with all the moaning people were doing. I can kind of see where they were coming from though but some people got pretty mean about it if we're honest. No Man's Sky is pretty good now. I found out the other day one of my friends enjoys it too and we play for a lot of the same reasons. It seems like cult following almost lol.

Oh they went beyond mean. Sean Murray was receiving death threats for awhile, which is just insane.

Some people's kids...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  talk about games here, there aren't any particular games you have to talk about :) smeg head no.2 0 895 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  socom talk johnnyb 0 796 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Let's talk NGP SHADOW 0 6,688 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: