Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Your thoughts?
It's hard to dispute that the game everyone is talking about right now is the already massively successful Red Dead Redemption 2. A quick look on Metacritic and the game is sitting at a very respectable 97 average from 81 reviewers and our own PSXE Review for Red Dead Redemption 2 also handed out a very rare perfect 10 score. Now that the game is available to everyone for almost a week, I wanted to see what you guys think of the game ?

Personally, I have some gripes. First things first though, I need to make myself completely clear here. I'm in no way trying to take anything from our main site review. Ryan really enjoyed the game and he put a lot of work into bringing a much more analytical review of his time with the game than I plan on doing here. Also, full disclosure, I've not finished the game yet so take anything I have to say here with a very large shovel of salt. I'm still very early in the game and my opinion may still change later and I won't be talking spoilers either and what I have to say on the game will be short and sweet.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is an amazing looking game with virtually no loading screens with a massive world to explore and Rockstar have absolutely nailed the Wild West setting. My first issue with the game is that they maybe did too good of a job nailing the Wild West setting. 
Skinned animals go off if not sold or cooked soon after obtaining them. Your horse will lose stamina quicker if you don't brush it down frequently. Make sure to eat regularly or you'll lose weight and this will affect your health and stamina cores and how fast they recover. Don't forget every time you get off your horse to check out an area to equip your weapons from your horse or find yourself without them when coming in contact with a rival gang or wild animals looking to attack. Don't get too far from your horse or it'll be out of whistling range and you'll have to go find it again. You'll also be constantly picking up your hat after it gets knocked off. In building the authenticity of the experience of that time and place , the game just feels like a second job. I know they sound like silly little things but combined they all add up and they're not fun. 

There's no fast travel ( at least I haven't come across it yet in my time with the game so far ) , which would be fine except that sometimes I'll find myself travelling very long distances with really nothing to interact with. Maybe the odd time there'll be a random encounter but they're very few and far between. In GTA, if I'm driving through the city I have activities thrown at me that I can choose to participate in or ignore but they at least keep the pacing of the game interesting. In RDR2, this isn't the case. In all fairness it probably should be that way. Not every game needs to be filled with fetch quests or meaningless checklists of activities that are only there to extend the running time of the game. But for me it doesn't make for a fun game after you get over the initial sense of being a wild west outlaw after the first couple of hours of game-play when you find yourself just holding down the X button to get from A-B and there's just nothing around to make the journey interesting. Yes this is probably what it was like to live back in the late 1800's and of course the pacing will be different to GTA. All I'm getting at is that the slow pacing just isn't fun. 

I also have an issue with the pretty bad friendly AI for my gang members during shootouts. I've failed a couple of missions not down to anything that I've done wrong. In fact I'd be really getting into the gunfights when the screen goes grey and a mission failed message appears because one of my gang died in the middle of the shooting. I don't have control over my gang members so I shouldn't be failing missions because the games friendly AI decides to stand out in the open and act like a bullet sponge. In one fight the game actually glitched and one of my gang literally just stood with his gun in his hand, down by his side and didn't do anything. He died while I was off killing the enemy and that was a mission failed. Thankfully it was close to a checkpoint so I wasn't sent too far back.

Which brings me to another annoyance, Game Saves. When I save a game I expect to be able to pick up were I left off. Outside of a mission, manually saving, backing out and loading back into the game again later rarely drops me back in exactly were I left off. This is annoying if it involves having to travel a large distance again to get to a mission I may have previously been heading to. There's no manual game saves during a mission, that shouldn't cost me my progress made during the mission but unfortunately in RDR2, I practically load back in again at the start of the mission because I'm depending on auto-saves.

In summary, Red Dead Redemption 2 is a good game despite all the above I've mentioned. It's a gorgeous to look at game and it's ambition is both it's strength and it's weakness. It's not a 'fun' game but it's a superb wild west outlaw sim. It's has some bugs which could be forgiven given the scope of the game and that they'll most likely get patched out anyway. The HDR I should add isn't true HDR if you have a capable TV/Monitor , you can read about that here , so the game looks dim and lacks the benefits you'd come to expect for HDR. I'm not really connecting either with the main protagonist, not in the same way as John Marston in the original game. But that's purely subjective. 

I'd really like to hear about how you guys are getting on with the game now that the initial hype has died down. By all means tear this post apart if you disagree and I may come back in a few days time after playing some more and tear it apart myself.
Feel free to add me on psn: frost-facechilla
Follow me on Twitter: @thebadbearddude

[Image: frost-facechilla.png]
Good write up. I agree with you the hat nonsense is really annoying. The game glitched on me last night I was beating a guy for info and he just cowered on the floor I could do nothing I turned off plus it was late.

I am sick of pressing x when riding to gallop lol. a double tap would have worked. I'll need a controller just for rdr2. Also where's the hookers? Gta has them. Are they too prude back in the western days ?

Don't get me wrong it is a gorgeous looking game.

There was that goldbar glitch and yes I used it give myself$60,000 I was sick scrambling for cash to payoff bounties.which you can get by a mistaken press of r2 why not aim r1 fire with r2. The amount of times I have accidently shot my gun.

I am enjoying it just the above annoyances tick me off.
Not a game I ever intend to play so my thoughts are minimal. With regards to things like the hunting or the horse-whistling though I've heard similar criticisms pop up elsewhere. It sounds like there are a lot of points where other developers would have considered 'is this realistic?' versus 'is this fun/convenient?' and always gone for the latter, whereas Rockstar have doubled down on the former. They were already pretty arrogant before releasing the most financially successful product in entertainment history, so there's no chance of them improving now.
Playing:
PC: Shadow of War
PS4: Uncharted 3 | Monster Hunter World | Game of Thrones
Switch: Breath of the Wild | Dragon Quest Builders | Mario + Rabbids
XB1: ReCore | Sea of Thieves | Rise of the Tomb Raider
(11-06-2018, 10:21 AM)The Benny (Macho) Wrote: Not a game I ever intend to play so my thoughts are minimal. With regards to things like the hunting or the horse-whistling though I've heard similar criticisms pop up elsewhere. It sounds like there are a lot of points where other developers would have considered 'is this realistic?' versus 'is this fun/convenient?' and always gone for the latter, whereas Rockstar have doubled down on the former. They were already pretty arrogant before releasing the most financially successful product in entertainment history, so there's no chance of them improving now.

Now that the dust has settled, I'm not sure now that the game is more peoples hands that it would still warrant all the 10/10's it received. Without getting into how games are scored ( I'm personally for doing away with numbered scoring altogether and would gladly settle on a buy, rent, avoid type recommendation) I've seen on a lot of forums/social media etc... people sharing the same experience of the game not being 'fun' in the traditional sense whilst still appreciating what it's trying to do. My personal experience, I've had bugs, frustration over friendly AI stupidity costing me mission progress and on a personal level I feel they've over done the 'is this realistic' which just makes the pacing so much slower and the tasks more mundane after the first dozen times. With all that said, I do see a premium game there. I just think a lot of reviewers got caught up in the hype. I seen one reviewer scored the game a 7 and he got death threats from consumers who hadn't even received the game yet.

It's all very Rockstar, by the sounds of it. A technical marvel that just oozes quality, bolstered by some decent-to-good writing that tells an entertaining story, layered over average gameplay that's dragged down to mediocre by some bad/arrogant design decisions.

At first everybody is swept up by the visuals and the writing, then once it's been out a few days everybody is grumbling about how sometimes you have to try several times to position yourself in the right place to interact with something because you keep stepping too far, or how boring it is waiting for your horse to approach you in real time (if it's still in range to even hear you whistle), of how often people walk into a gunfight without their weapons because they forgot that they have to re-equip from the horse every time, of the tedious process of hunting, of how the buddy AI isn't very good and sometimes the horse stands in the doorway and prevents you leaving, and you're spending a lot of downtime riding between places, either alone or while Rockstar ejaculates dialogue over you, and the checkpoints are still embarrassing... All very Rockstar.
Playing:
PC: Shadow of War
PS4: Uncharted 3 | Monster Hunter World | Game of Thrones
Switch: Breath of the Wild | Dragon Quest Builders | Mario + Rabbids
XB1: ReCore | Sea of Thieves | Rise of the Tomb Raider
(11-06-2018, 11:52 AM)The Benny (Macho) Wrote: It's all very Rockstar, by the sounds of it. A technical marvel that just oozes quality, bolstered by some decent-to-good writing that tells an entertaining story, layered over average gameplay that's dragged down to mediocre by some bad/arrogant design decisions.

At first everybody is swept up by the visuals and the writing, then once it's been out a few days everybody is grumbling about how sometimes you have to try several times to position yourself in the right place to interact with something because you keep stepping too far, or how boring it is waiting for your horse to approach you in real time (if it's still in range to even hear you whistle), of how often people walk into a gunfight without their weapons because they forgot that they have to re-equip from the horse every time, of the tedious process of hunting, of how the buddy AI isn't very good and sometimes the horse stands in the doorway and prevents you leaving, and you're spending a lot of downtime riding between places, either alone or while Rockstar ejaculates dialogue over you, and the checkpoints are still embarrassing... All very Rockstar.

I don't think I can add much more to that. Pretty damn accurate.

I don't normally bother with user reviews but I kinda wanted to compare anyway and it's sitting at a 7.7 on Metacritic, if that means anything?

Damnit I went Digital too lol, not that I would trade it in, I still have the PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption. I agree with all the gripes above. Which is why yes I used the gold bar glitch shame on me. I was sick of getting unwanted bounties lol.
Personally, I haven't played it. Nothing against the game, I played through the RDR, just haven't gotten around to shelving out the dough to get RDR2.
PSXE News / Reviews Writer
(11-07-2018, 07:04 PM)gabe_reisinger Wrote: Personally, I haven't played it. Nothing against the game, I played through the RDR, just haven't gotten around to shelving out the dough to get RDR2.

Honestly, I'd not get caught up in the hype and hold off. I know it's one of the highest scored games of all time but read what people are saying online about it's game mechanics and decide if the games pacing is for you.
I think universally everyone agrees it a very good game to look at. It has a decent story to tell. It's just let down by mundane activities that unfortunately either were omitted by reviewers or maybe they just generally appreciated the game on a different level to the average gamer but I really can't see how anyone could give this game the full perfect scores we've seen. It's got plenty of reasons to knock points off. I've seen a lot people recently talking about the latest Assassins Creed because they've just given up on RDR2. I'm not in anyway saying one game is better than an other and I don't own the latest Assassins Creed, but a lot of people have just put down RDR2 in favour of Assassins Creed because they found it more fun. You honestly won't find a better Wild West/Cowboy/Outlaw sim than RDR2 and it should definitely be held in high regard but it's really not a perfect game and it's definitely not fun after the first couple of hours (which are a slog in themselves) once you've gotten used to the soul being sucked out of you doing wild west chores.

Just completed it. I enjoyed it while I did it but, the fleshing it out doing silly chores round the camp/farm, waste of time. Looking forward to the online side of things. Silly mechanics let this game down in my opinion, yeah good story bit let down at the end, possibly see more in Red Dead Redemption 3 in another 10 years time, first we have Bully 2 and then GTA6 tyo deal with.

I hope they don't include the silly mechanics like eating/drinking again like in San Andreas as they have done in this RDR2. It was done in a past GTA so im hoping they don't include it in the next GTA. The immersion of the city would be cool if this one is anything to go by. i'd give this a 8.5 out of 10 possibly bump it to a 9 but no way is it a 10 game as control mechanics let it down sadly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tlpn99's post:
  • frostface

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Space Boss Fight Video...Gruesome!!! Kilik 7 1,892 09-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Superjew
  FF7 coming to 360? Fair/Unfair. Betrayal/Hate. What emotions/thoughts about this? Chimeran92 26 3,198 08-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Zapix
  Your thoughts on E3? Superjew 36 3,696 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Thoughts on Mafia? Voice 7 1,028 03-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Voice
  Red Dead Revolver!! Voice 4 892 02-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Last Post: PlaystationFan
  Rockstar has take over production of Red Dead Revolver! PlaystationFan 9 1,141 12-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Last Post: svosen
  Dead or Alive movie Ryan H. 15 1,809 04-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Last Post: Barret Wallace
  Final Fantasy VIII - My Thoughts The Benny (Macho) 52 5,763 03-12-2003, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Ryan H.
  are 2D fighting games dead? dillonthebunny 0 1,498 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  my thoughts of Devil May Cry 2 so far. Voice 0 2,001 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: