Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Activision Blizzard's First Casualties
Yep, looks like that will be summer next year to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the first film's release. Riddick is aiming for spring next year, and it seems like it will be both a remake of Butcher Bay and the new Dark Athena campaign, but the reports I read weren't absolutely certain of that.

The pickup of Brutal Legend is apparently being hindered by Activision Blizzard, according to Variety. That doesn't really do anything to change the perception that they're becoming the new EA...
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:Yep, looks like that will be summer next year to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the first film's release. Riddick is aiming for spring next year, and it seems like it will be both a remake of Butcher Bay and the new Dark Athena campaign, but the reports I read weren't absolutely certain of that.

The pickup of Brutal Legend is apparently being hindered by Activision Blizzard, according to Variety. That doesn't really do anything to change the perception that they're becoming the new EA...

As sexy as Riddick looked on the Xbox I can't wait to replay the Butcher Bay campaign on current systems.

Actually I can and will but I bet when I do play it I will enjoy it.
I completely missed the game when it released on the Xbox, then heard nothing but good things years later. If it wasn't for the impending remake (and the apparent lack of compatibility for the original game on the 360) I would have sought it out.
Ghostbuster's is coming out this summer.

Riddick doesn't (as far as I know) have anything other than a speculative release time frame. which as Benny said is this Spring.

I didn't know that they were introducing a new campaign to Riddick. It was always described as a straight up remake everytime I've read anything on it. I'm getting more excited for this game. I loved the original Riddick movie Pitch Black and supposedly the game is supposed to make up for the cinematic disaster that was the Chronicles of Riddick.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:I completely missed the game when it released on the Xbox, then heard nothing but good things years later. If it wasn't for the impending remake (and the apparent lack of compatibility for the original game on the 360) I would have sought it out.

Easily one of the best games on Xbox.
I've heard that from pretty much anybody who talks of it so I don't why it passed me buy. I assumed it was because I was sucked into WoW by then and ignored pretty much all other games after that, but looking at the release dates Riddick beat WoW by a few months. It must have just slipped through the cracks.

Activision have spoken up on why they dropped all these games. Eurogamer reports that AB's Bobby Kotick said:
Quote:"Why don't we start with the Vivendi Games businesses: there were a lot of different projects and businesses that we identified as not likely to achieve the profit margin potential that we look for," Kotick told investors in a financial call, painstakingly transcribed on Seeking Alpha.

"With respect to the franchises that don't have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of over time becoming USD 100 million plus franchises, that's a strategy that has worked very well for us."

The plan is to work on titles that will still [be] in the public eye 10 years from now. And to achieve this, Activision Blizzard has a whopping 15 properties across 70 SKUs planned for 2009 - 40 per cent more than in 2008.
'Exploited' is such a horrible word to use, but obviously none of those games were set to become annual franchises, which apparently is what AB expect from all their games now. I wonder if that factored at all into why Starcraft 2 is going to be released as three separate campaigns. I'm not sure if Blizzard are such a cash cow that they're naturally exempt from all this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Activision's THUGin' with Tony Hawk's UnderGround GameGuyPete 3 591 05-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Last Post: korn666slipknot
  Activision: We don't want Brutal Legend. No, wait, give it back! The Benny (Macho) 0 1,562 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Activision all set to slaughter Goldeneye TheWorldEnds 0 1,620 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Gwen Stefani and No Doubt pissed about Activision being itself. TheWorldEnds 0 1,771 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How did you get fired from Activision. j/k mackid1993 0 1,954 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Bungie signs ten-year deal with Activision The Benny (Macho) 0 2,361 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Microsoft and Activision Akuma07 0 3,575 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: