Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Demo Discussion
I really like the new Tomb Raider games since they are made by a new company, and you're right, I'll be pissed if that's just 360 exclusive. It's not thursday right? How'd you get the demo?
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:Holy Thread Revival, Batman! Looks like we're getting back into demo season so I figured I'd revive this. I shouldn't really have let it die, to be honest. Coming soon: World of Goo (PC download) , Mirror's Edge (PSN tomorrow, Live the day after) and Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (on Live now), so stay tuned :p

*chokes on coffee* Hold on there Skippy, we get a Mirrors Edge demo today/tomorrow?

Damn it! Why couldn't I be working from home today..

I recently played the Fracture demo and enjoyed it though when I neared the end and had to shoot the enemy soldiers I didn't find the targeting especially easy to do. I can't post my comments on the Mercs2 demo as youngsters visit here. Let me just say there wasn't a single aspect of the game I enjoyed.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
The Tomb Raider demo was on Live on the 28th, the PC version goes up on the 31st. No mention of a PS3 demo. Mirror's Edge is the 30th on PSN (so today) and the 31st on the 360.

The Fracture demo was okay but the level was far too confined, making the terrain gun more about doing it in the right places than finding your own way to navigate areas, and there were too many places where you weren't allowed to deform the terrain at all. I also didn't find the combat particularly well done, especially the end of the demo where you're fending off the waves of attackers.
World of Goo (PC - download demo here)

I think this is on WiiWare too (although I don't know if that's both in the US and UK), but you can also get it on "Steam, Direct2Drive, Beanstalk, and Greenhouse". An indie game from 2D Boy that has received rave reviews, World of Goo has you constructing structures from sticky little goo balls to progress to the end of the level. It's very pretty and lots of fun. I ended up stuck on one level, knowing what to do but not quite managing it, but help videos are all over YouTube so I got past it and completed the demo, which is the entire first chapter, making it more like the shareware games of old than a mere demo. I'll likely be getting the full game off Steam at some point.
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (360)

This looks set to be a fairly pretty game, Rare generally manage to eke some interesting visuals out of the 360 and what you see in the demo looks very nice. There's a nice physicality to the vehicles and objects, I'm not sure how I feel about replacing platforming with vehicle challenges, especially when I quite like 3D platformers. At the minute it kind of plays out like a vehicle-heavy Jak 3 (which was itself more focused on vehicles than I'd like), but instead of the simple races and checkpoint chases it's much more varied, with the demo giving you two races, a football game and a siege defence kind of mission. There's lots of potential for variation in the vehicles and the editor is very simple to use (my seven year-old nephew had no issues with it), which could turn out to be a real strength. I would definitely have liked voices over text for the dialogue; that was a limitation of earlier generations, not a feature.

So as somebody who doesn't much like driving and racing I'm not entirely convinced by the concept but there's lots of potential for fun there.
I got to play Mirrors Edge last night just before bed. I thought it looked great and played really well. I had a couple of moments where I had to stop and look round to see where I needed to go but then I also frequently got the feeling the route was MoH linear. I understand this was only the first level so I'm looking forward to seeing how a non linear aspect pans out once the game gets up and running.

3 forum tokens
Mirror's Edge (360)

I was looking forward to trying this out to see how well Dice managed to implement the tricky concept of first-person platforming, and the demo really didn't disappoint. It looks great, it controls well and was lots of fun. It did seem very linear, and when combined with the bright indicators of your route it did leave it feeling like you were being led a bit too much. As you said though Gabe, it was the very first level and needed to be like that to avoid overwhelming the player and leaving them completely lost. It pretty much met my expectations in every way and I'm very much looking forward to the full game.
Tom Clancy's End War:

Not sure exactly what I was expecting from this but definitely not an RTS. From the trailer I was more hoping for a more standard fps experience but in the centre of a large scale war.

3 forum tokens
For those of you on silver accounts, both Tomb Raider and Nuts & Bolts should be downloadable now. Mirror's Edge too, I think. There's also Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise, of course, which has been up for a while but apparently isn't being played as much as it deserves because the game isn't selling as well as it should. I really do like the game...
Dl'd but not tried Tomb Raider. Waiting for for Lego Batman now Smile

I tried the Hells Highway demo and didn't like that at all on either console. Didn't look too fantastic and the controls didn't flow.

3 forum tokens

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StarWars Unleashed demo dillonthebunny 16 1,798 09-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Final Fantasy VII-2 (its just a demo by some guy) Luan 6 663 08-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Superjew
  Grand Theft Auto IV - Discussion (Possible Spoilers) Zapix 68 3,525 06-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mr. SunburnMan
  Ahhh, Call of Duty 4:Modern Warefare [demo] psplayer 7 808 11-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  Anyone played the GRAW2 demo yet on the PSN? dillonthebunny 6 1,051 08-22-2007, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  SplinterCell: Pandora Tomorrow PC demo!!! kupo00 15 922 03-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Antonio
  XIII PC demo kupo00 1 557 08-07-2003, 12:51 PM
Last Post: dillonthebunny
  For anyone who played the Castlevania demo at E3! PlaystationFan 9 716 07-10-2003, 03:34 AM
Last Post: GameGuyPete
  Roundtable Discussion, Part Deux. Here it is. Week #2! Arnold K. (Admin) 16 676 06-14-2003, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Antonio
  Silent Hill 3 Demo Impressions Mr. SunburnMan 6 764 05-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Last Post: dillonthebunny