Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fable II - no online coop at launch.
The first reviews are coming in and it's receiving better scores than I was expecting. I thought the average would be somewhere between 80-90% at best, but if the initial reviews are any indication we're looking at reviews of 90-100% across the board.
Bought it first thing yesterday morning...

Played FABLE II like a mad man as soon as I was able to.
*addicted*
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Some of you shall be missed though! I think you few know who you are Smile
A few of you are actually on my PSN list at that! Cool
Heh, I think it releases tomorrow over here. Let us know how you get on, if you can tear yourself away.
Fable II is kind of all I expected and perhaps more. I only played the first Fable for a short time back in late 2006, early 2007 as it was a xmas gift for my now ex, back when we were still together. So we shared game time until we had internet to get back on FFXI... *cough* Somehow the game just happened to stay in my possession after we broke up Tongue

Anyways, I was pretty much expecting Fable with a graphical overhaul... Which essentially is what Fable II is, but I've noticed it's been improved upon actually. It comes across to me that you really need to pay attention to your actions much more in Fable II than before. Such as I used to help people doing good deeds, and the second they started to say something like "Thank you!" I'd just kill everyone in sight. No, not this time around. I actually worry about the backlash it could have!

In the first Fable, I don't recall being able to take up guild jobs such as blacksmithing, woodworking, etc. It's a means to make money, and one I've been using excessively for most of my income. You get paid more the higher your skill level, but also make more money for a consecutive success rate.

Interacting with people is pretty much no different for the most part. You can select from various emotions and stuff to either make people like you or dislike you. My only real issue here is the effect is spread throughout the area. So while I'm busy womanizing and becoming the idol for women in a town, there is nothing I can do about the fact that I now have guys hitting on me constantly. This also takes effort out of trying to get a town to like you, and is technically a fail point in development if you ask me. I didn't develop the game though so I don't know if they did this purposely or if it was something they really couldn't work around without sucking up vast amounts of memory.

On the topic of interacting with people, shop prices are influenced by town economics which do appear can change. You can also gain discounts through getting shop owners to like you or fear you, or prices can be raised if they don't like you. There's the obvious weapons shops and clothing shops. You'll find item shops, jewelery shops, food vendors, travelling merchants, and some other places to buy various different things.

For those who played the first Fable, you'll recall being able to buy houses, get married, etc. Obviously it's all retained here in Fable II. I personally already have 3 wives, my most recent earned it by getting frisky with me constantly! My wife in that town just didn't approve though! LOL, kept getting pissed for cheating on her. Although her status kept showing as "Wants Sex", she never put out! Side note here, you have options of protected (if you have condoms) or unprotected. So anyways, yeah, I took my now 3rd wife away from town, moved her into a nice 10k gold cottage, gave her the best ring I could find, flowers, necklace... I treat her really good! They do ask for a household budget which you can set. You can have a baby, but if they ever grow up into a child, I don't know. The baby is nothing more than a name and a craddle that makes baby noises. Perhaps disarming the safety and a fireball will shut it up, but I'm not gonna try it.

On the topic of owning houses, a little tip I can pass out is, if you have the money to invest in realty, do it! You can rent properties out and receive gold every few minutes. With a good number of properties owned, you'll find consistant gold flowing in. I have yet to turn it back on today, but if I read correctly, (you will earn gold even when you're not playing) the game although off is STILL making money for me... Which I just confirmed turning the game on for a minute. 1600 gold I didn't have before! Kind of a real benefit right there! You can also redecorate and add furniture to raise the values, but I haven't done that yet.

One of the most important game mechanics though as minor as some might thing though, is your dog. He's pretty much there from nearly the start of the game. Your dog is constantly a source of HOT AND COLD... If you happen to be near treasure, your dog will start barking and lead you to where the treasure is. It can be a chest, a key, or something to dig up... He's there to help you find things! Don't be at all shocked if he just vanishes from your side though. I've run into a couple of instances where he got caught on something like a wall or ledge and couldn't move. Good job Molyneux!

You can arm yourself with melee weapons, ranged weapons, and magic. All three are always available, and until you get some solid memory of what you're doing, expect to scare the hell out of people in town constantly. Also as before, how you dress will have an impact on those around you. So dressing up for whatever you're doing should be considered. At the start of the game you select if you play as a male or female character, so watch out you don't end up cross dressing, which yes, you can do!

Skill progression is pretty straight forward. You absorb orbs from defeated enemies which builds exp points. You then can spend those exp points on physical, skill, and magical traits/abilities. The exp you gain can have bonuses for how your battles go.

Battles are pretty much your average hack and slash, action game. With the ability stand back and use your ranged weapons to soften enemies is also useful. A variety of magic spells spices it up. It's a very simple combat system. Your dog will also help out here by growling to alert you when there are enemies nearby.

Stepping away from gameplay though...

The graphics are good and lacking at the same time. I'm not impressed with the graphics and detail of the characters themselves. In particular, facial aspects and skin textures. Most everyone seems to look really old or undead to me except yourself. There are instances where people don't appear that way, as they can be quite decent and it could even be different town to town just as the clothing is. It's not that it's bad, but I'm tough on facial/skin textures.

Environments and areas are neatly done with plenty of color and detail. Lighting and shading are all well done if you ask me. Some motions still look very mechanical in ways, but none of it had detracted from the overall appearance.

There have been a few instances I have noticed the game lag (which prompted me to make the joke while playing, "Only on the LAGBOX360!"). I am wondering if the upcoming ability to install games onto the harddrive will resolve some of lag I've been seeing.

The music is low key as it should be. I notice little changes in the music playing, but then I haven't explored too deep into the game. I don't expect a huge soundtrack though. The voice acting is repetitive from towns folk, sometimes to the point my earlier suggestion of disarming the safety and throwing a fireball seems like a great idea. When you hear somebody repeat the same line a good 10 times in a row, you'll be considering it! It's not the strongest point of the game, but I've heard some really horrible voice acting in my time. So I'd say this a pretty average job.

The story takes place after the first Fable. I don't want to give away anything in the story, but there is direct contact with the first game so to speak. The storyline itself about the main character is sort of similiar to the first game in the sense you're a child seperated from your sister... You'll find the story gets moving a little quicker though. I found the original Fable moved very slowly at the start, making you go through learning how to play the game. Fable II gets you engaged in the story rather quickly though I think.

The question of replay value I can't answer. Obviously the game leaves open two major paths of character growth, but I don't know what impact that has on the end of the game, if any.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Fable II. While I don't imagine it will be titled GAME OF THE YEAR or anything, it is certainly a defining title for the 360 as Molyneux would put it. I would say scores between 8 and 9 are reasonable. To give a 10 though, would be excessive if you ask me.
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Good post Zapix. I enjoyed Fable but never finished it so I might need to boot it up again if I still have it. I never went into the whole family aspect.

Looking at all the old games I have around me I don't think I'll need to buy a new game for many months if I decide to play through them all.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
Gabriel013 Wrote:Good post Zapix.

Smile thank you!

Zap, quick question: Have you given the local co-op a try? My brother really wants me to play the game with him so that will be how I first experience Fable 2. I'm assuming I'll need to start my own save, create my character and then join into his for it to save any progress. That will just be my co-op character though, I'll make a different one for my proper play through.

I agree with Gab, it was an informative post. Bravo!
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:Zap, quick question: Have you given the local co-op a try? My brother really wants me to play the game with him so that will be how I first experience Fable 2. I'm assuming I'll need to start my own save, create my character and then join into his for it to save any progress. That will just be my co-op character though, I'll make a different one for my proper play through.

I agree with Gab, it was an informative post. Bravo!

My friend in Scotland is getting a new xbox360 since his broke down without an RRoD. Won't have the game till early November either. So far I haven't seen anyone else on my list playing fable either. The options are there though, and when I go to my list when the game is running, the option to invite people does exist. I haven't created a second character either, but it does appear that you can. The save file for my character is named Hero 1 so seems you can have more than one.

I'm glad you guys approve! Smile

Well the web is beginning to talk of a few bugs in the game, which is perhaps inevitable considering the scale of it. One is quite serious though:
Quote:Hello community,

We are aware that a minority of people playing Fable® II over the last few days have encountered an issue where the Abbot becomes unresponsive at the beginning of Monks Quest in Oakfield. This is an isolated issue, but we are currently looking into it as a matter of priority. If you have already encountered this issue, there is unfortunately no work-around at this time, but we will keep you updated on any progress made.

If you want to avoid this issue, when you go to the Abbot for the first time don't run away and leave the region after he has started talking to you. Listen to him, let him finish his cut-scene, and then you are free to do what you wish.
The other big bug is one that wipes all your experience, gold and abilities if you join a friend's game when they're still in the childhood section and you're an adult. Lionhead are looking into the issues and will fix them as soon as they're able, but it's best to watch out.
Heh, when my friend gets the game, I'm gonna start a new character anyways, probably a girl. I run into any glitches like The Abbot. Infact, the only problems I had with NPCs being non responsive were my wives... LOL Painfully realistic! Later resolved when I found the emote for sale.

A few things I have noticed that in ways takes away, but keeps the game at a casual gamers level...

There is no ammo for ranged weapons, shoot as much as you want... Sure, there's a delay for reloading, but it's not that long. Perhaps having unlimited ammo isn't so bad since it makes inventory easier and one less action to have to fumble around with.

No magic life gauge... Casting spells endlessly like some rapid fire ability seems kind of wrong to me! When I think of magical abilities, I always think there should be some sort of limit... You know, mana/spell points. It's not there though, so cast... Cast away, spam fireball (Inferno) on everything you see if you so desire.

Villagers feel like they're rediculously easy to get to like you. Add into the fact, you can try to focus on one person, but every emote you do affects everyone around you. Before you know it, the whole town is inlove with you... Sure, you can slap somebody for it, but them you upset everyone. I have now resorted to taking villagers that annoy me outside, go find some bandits, and watch the pests die before killing the bandits that killed them. Being evil without doing evil... Priceless

Making money when you're not playing sounds kind of nice. It is, I don't mind it one bit, but a couple of friends have expressed they feel that would appear to make the game too easy. Maybe it does. It's not like the gains when you're away are the same as you would just going AFK... I just turned the game on to find 4500 more gold than I had before... That's a good deal for not having played since last night.

These things can and will be pros or cons depending on the person playing. As I've said in the last two days to a few friends, gaming has become so easy, an 80yr old grandmother could beat most games with her hands tied behind her back... There's no doubt, John McCain could beat Halo 3 given time since he might get caught a few times! Sure, hardcore gamers will cry, but the market is open for business to everyone now...

But seeing as I consider myself lousy at games and in the casual gamer spectrum, why do I feel the above sort of takes away from Fable 2? Ah well. Enjoying the game very much, that's what counts!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fable 2!!! farfus 0 1,029 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Online Avatar photoshop Joe III 0 978 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Fable 3 The Benny (Macho) 0 1,485 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: