Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heavy Rain
Apparently nobody else is going to start talking about it so I guess it's up to me. Quantic Dream's last game, Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) had an excellent opening sequence (if you've not played it find a PC demo and check it out, the demo covers the whole first section), with mystery, tension, style and a sense that you could genuinely affect the outcome. The first act as a whole was pretty neat, but the second act became a long quicktime event and the third was just crazy, with the first act's strengths quickly falling by the wayside. To borrow from somebody else's critiques:

Quote:The first act plays like a psychological drama written by M. Night Shyamalan. (The Sixth Sense.) The second act plays like a stupid action movie by Jerry Bruckheimer. (Armageddon, National Treasure.) The third act is a swirling vortex of disjointed blatherskite, as if from the mind of Ed Wood. (Plan 9 From Outer Space.)
Heavy Rain's trailer (PSXE has a YouTube version, I don't know if there are HD ones out there) mostly seems to show cutscene bits and preset animations as the character investigates a spooky house, with one little bit where you see the character being controlled, and then a (presumably lengthy, as it goes all around the house) quicktime event.

Actually reading about it though (such as the 1UP preview) makes it sound a little better. The QTE is apparently the result of doing badly (this particular one can be skipped entirely), and generally they're contextual and based on the direction you're looking, but it doesn't change the fact that QTEs are a fairly crummy way of doing action sequences.

There is a lot of potential there though and it could still be mostly like Fahrenheit's first act, so it's definitely one to watch.
Well I expect to find the trailers and maybe the whole press conference on the PS Store today, in at least 720p HD. I haven't seen the youtube yet though.

This game seem to have wowed everyone who was at the private showing at E3 last month. So I will wait til I get the video from PS Store.
[Image: Xenogears_XenogearsID_facing_720.jpg]
Xenogears vs Xenogears-ID

Now Playing:
  • PS3: White Knight Chronicles 2
  • Wii: Xenoblade Chronicle
  • Where did all these Chronicles come from?

All I know about this game is that after the long wait, it had better be good. I recall seeing screen shots from before or during the infancy of the PS3, and that is a long time for a game to be in development.
Superjew Wrote:All I know about this game is that after the long wait, it had better be good. I recall seeing screen shots from before or during the infancy of the PS3, and that is a long time for a game to be in development.
Please insert clever Duke Nukem Forever reference here.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
Eurogamer have their preview up for this and it was nice to see the following:

Quote:But for all the impressive visuals and talk about emotional experiences during the conference trailer, Heavy Rain still came off looking like a string of pretty Quick Time Events. It wasn't until afterwards, during the 45-minute demo held behind closed doors, that Quantic Dream boss David Cage got to explain why Heavy Rain is so much more than that.
That was pretty much how my opinion ran, except replacing viewing the actual demo with reading the opinions of people who did. The way the demo plays out genuinely makes it sound like Fahrenheit at its best, though apparently it has nothing to do with the main story, essentially being one self-contained "scene". I don't if most of the game will be like that or if it's a rarity, like an introduction to the concept or something.

There really does seem to be lots of potential with this though and it could easily become next year's LittleBigPlanet, a big PS3 exclusive doing things no other game is doing. As long as Quantic Dream can reign in the part that sent Fahrenheit spiralling into nonsense and tedium, of course, otherwise it could end up as next year's Haze/Lair.
I've heard alot about this game but after seeing the trailer for it, I can easily say I am not impressed with what I have seen so far. The graphics in it do not look that good at all. And the quick time events(?) just made me turn me more away then I already was.
Maybe I just need to hear more about the story and whatever gameplay elements they will have, but as of right now, this isn't looking like anything I would want to play. Or brag about for that matter.
"I'm the body with the coroner, Many friends yet still a loner."

"Black then white are all i see in my infancy. Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me."
I am The Giver. Thank you Tool.
Yeah, the trailer left me pretty cold with regards to the little gameplay it showed, but reading about the impressions from the live demo paints a more positive picture. There's room for some cautious optimism there.
Please read the part on Heavy Rain in my week in review. I think people aren't focusing on the important part, here. Smile
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
(For the lazy ones, Ben's Week in Review is here)

Gameplay does matter as well Ben, and from the trailer all we got was a bit of walking and a lengthy QTE, and after IP you can see why that might worry people. Not just a regular annoying QTE either but one where the button prompts aren't in set locations, meaning you'll be scanning the scene carefully for the prompts and ignoring most of what's happening in the mean time. I don't think it's fair to call it an advanced Dragon's Lair (as some have), but IP lost a lot of what made it good when it became obsessed with QTE action sequences instead of the tense beginning.

It's also worth remembering that IP's story didn't just jump the shark, it turned it into a zombie and had sex with it. As I said in the first post, if they can keep the whole game in line with the start of IP then it will be fantastic (and based on the showing at GDC it's like that so far), but if they again start betraying their concept and getting steadily more insane in the plot then it will be very disappointing.
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:(For the lazy ones, Ben's Week in Review is here)

Gameplay does matter as well Ben, and from the trailer all we got was a bit of walking and a lengthy QTE, and after IP you can see why that might worry people. Not just a regular annoying QTE either but one where the button prompts aren't in set locations, meaning you'll be scanning the scene carefully for the prompts and ignoring most of what's happening in the mean time. I don't think it's fair to call it an advanced Dragon's Lair (as some have), but IP lost a lot of what made it good when it became obsessed with QTE action sequences instead of the tense beginning.

It's also worth remembering that IP's story didn't just jump the shark, it turned it into a zombie and had sex with it. As I said in the first post, if they can keep the whole game in line with the start of IP then it will be fantastic (and based on the showing at GDC it's like that so far), but if they again start betraying their concept and getting steadily more insane in the plot then it will be very disappointing.

I agree with most of that, but I will say the atmosphere and story in IP was enough to allow me to overlook the mediocre QTE. I'm expecting an even more engrossing environment out of Heavy Rain, that's all.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heayy rain!!! Mista 0 2,052 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Heavy Rain does gaming a service. TheWorldEnds 0 2,292 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Heavy Rain Worries. TheWorldEnds 0 2,347 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Heavy Rain (nudity?) LegendaryWolfeh 0 3,248 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Leaked Heavy Rain Videos cLoudou 0 3,569 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Heavy Rain review Sir Shak 0 2,903 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Heavy Rain.....What do you think about it? Rogers71 0 18,210 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Heavy Rain, bad taxidermist code? TheWorldEnds 0 2,416 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: