Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim The Best Game Of The Generation?
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/13405.html

Sure, Amazon UK has Skyrim as the "game of the generation", but what are your personal "Games of the Generation"?

As much as I dislike the franchise, Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare. Probably the game that changed online FPSs, and online games in general.

Little Big Planet. Leading the charge of Play, create, share.

Wii Sports. Probably the game that single-handedly sold millions upon millions of Wiis.

Skyrim. I can't disagree even though I didn't enjoy it. Size, scale, and endless quests.

Uncharted 2. Just a great game, excellent story, and cinematics.

Bioshock. Under Water City, nuff said.

The Walking Dead. Story telling on another level, in which you're choices really affect the game. Excellent narrative.

I don't really feel like going in to deep with more games so here are some Honorable Mentions:

Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain
Mass Effect 2
The Last Of Us
Bioshock Infinite
Batman Arkham Asylum

I know I may forgot some but eh I'll go with these.
[Image: 1.png]
Follow me on Twitter....or not, your choice : @HardlyCLoudy
Go Browns! Go Tribe! Go Cavs!
Why do I continue to root, when we continue to lose? Love my city, Go Cleveland!
As I said in the comments on that article, Dues Ex Human Revolution all the way for me.
If we're talking purely objectively then CoD4 is a pretty good choice, essentially killing off the World War 2 theme and setting the standard for online shooters. I don't think there are any other games that set the course of the generation in quite the same way.

Minecraft would be another one, making more money and selling more copies than most mainstream publishers can dream of, legitimising a niche funding method, making the Let's Play scene go mainstream, and to a certain extent being responsible for the greater attention people are paying to indie games these days.

Subjectively, it would obviously be Batman: Arkham City (or maybe Asylum, seeing as City launched off of that), for reasons I can't go into because I was only just gushing about it in another thread. Refractory period, you know how it is.
Currently Playing: Overwatch (PC/PS4) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)
From a technical perspective I think Skyrim is the obvious winner - especially on consoles. I simply am completely unable to picture how they were able to cram such an enormously detailed world into the console memory bottleneck. We've just not seen any other game on any console even reaching to the ankles of the world of Skyrim.

When it comes to multiplayer I agree with Cloudou: COD totally dominated this generation. You can't just ignore the voice of 50 million fans.

I also agree with Benny on Minecraft. It started a movement. It's a phenomenon.
PSN & Steam & Wordfeud & UniWar: Beamboom
Beamboom Wrote:From a technical perspective I think Skyrim is the obvious winner - especially on consoles. I simply am completely unable to picture how they were able to cram such an enormously detailed world into the console memory bottleneck. We've just not seen any other game on any console even reaching to the ankles of the world of Skyrim.

When it comes to multiplayer I agree with Cloudou: COD totally dominated this generation. You can't just ignore the voice of 50 million fans.

I also agree with Benny on Minecraft. It started a movement. It's a phenomenon.

Skyrim is a technical mess, and bigger worlds have been put on lesser machines. It's not really that impressive from a technical perspective at all.

That something is popular doesn't mean it is good. This is why Shania Twain and The Backstreet Boys won't ever be seen as one of the musical acts of all time.

What movement did Minecraft start? If anything, Minecraft was a result of the indie boom which was really kickstarted this gen by titles like Braid and Castle Crashers.
Yeah, I was thinking Miinecraft but LBP preceded it, I believe. I'd have to agree with Spartan that Braid was the game that lead the Indie Boom, maybe even Plants VS Zombies or Angry Birds.

Anyways when I think of gaming this gen it would have to be COD and the rise of multiplayer, and the Bro Gamers...ugh.
[Image: 1.png]
Follow me on Twitter....or not, your choice : @HardlyCLoudy
Go Browns! Go Tribe! Go Cavs!
Why do I continue to root, when we continue to lose? Love my city, Go Cleveland!
Minecraft surely must be the game where there's most modding, custom servers and tools and projects going on these days. I am utterly impressed by the communities and the sheer level of enthusiasm found around that game, it's on a level I only associate with certain computer tools (not games) earlier.
It was an instant cult classic. Everybody and their grandparents know about Minecraft.

In regards to Skyrim, I ask: What other game has served a world with this combination of graphics, details and size on the current gen consoles? Sorry, but there's NONE. Not one single game.
And don't you even bother saying GTA4. GTA4 was modded up on PCs to becoming quite good looking later, but that's not the same. And the GTA4 map was nowhere as large as Skyrim.
Everybody has different tastes of games, all the way down first when growing up and now, which way your surroundinds are in life and that usually that will reflect what kind of games you personally like the best., just to break it down. So to answer your question, no.
Beamboom Wrote:Minecraft surely must be the game where there's most modding, custom servers and tools and projects going on these days. I am utterly impressed by the communities and the sheer level of enthusiasm found around that game, it's on a level I only associate with certain computer tools (not games) earlier.
It was an instant cult classic. Everybody and their grandparents know about Minecraft.

In regards to Skyrim, I ask: What other game has served a world with this combination of graphics, details and size on the current gen consoles? Sorry, but there's NONE. Not one single game.
And don't you even bother saying GTA4. GTA4 was modded up on PCs to becoming quite good looking later, but that's not the same. And the GTA4 map was nowhere as large as Skyrim.

Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption and Far Cry 3, just going off the top of my head and what I've played this gen. According to the people who made Skyrim the game world is roughly the same size as Oblivion, but the mountainous terrain inflates it somewhat and also makes it harder to cross. And here's a little graphic that shows you some of the bigger game worlds out there:

[Image: Large-Video-Game-Worlds_zps9e07d8e7.jpg~original]

This was created before Far Cry 3 came out, but Far Cry 3 would be second only to Just Cause 2 (on the graphic) at 310sq miles. Also take note of the 'even bigger' list of games on the right.

Then notice that they don't bother to include EVE Online, which has a theoretical 'world' limit of over 121 friggin' LIGHT YEARS, as in the distance between the two furthest points in EVE Online are 121 light years apart.

Skyrim isn't even remotely close to being the largest game world even this gen, and it pales in comparison to even older Elder Scroll games like Daggerfall, and Far Cry 3 absolutely demolishes Skyrim visually.
Spartan119 Wrote:Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption and Far Cry 3, just going off the top of my head and what I've played this gen.
[...]
Then notice that they don't bother to include EVE Online, which has a theoretical 'world' limit of over 121 friggin' LIGHT YEARS, as in the distance between the two furthest points in EVE Online are 121 light years apart.

Skyrim isn't even remotely close to being the largest game world even this gen, and it pales in comparison to even older Elder Scroll games like Daggerfall, and Far Cry 3 absolutely demolishes Skyrim visually.

You are just so completely ignoring/missing my entire point here now, Spartan.
Big Grin

Beamboom Wrote:What other game has served a world with this combination of graphics, details and size on the current gen consoles

So while some older Elder scrolls might have had the same size, they're not anywhere near the same graphical level. And seriously, it's ridiculous to even mention the map size of EVE in this context, a space MMO compared with a map with very detailed nature and wildlife, hills and woods, rivers, cabins, dungeons and cities. Double irrelevant when it's a PC exclusive, tripple irrelevant when the game is partially run on clustered servers.

I assume you've played Far Cry 3 on a PC, and it might look better there for all I know (I don't have FC3 on PC). But I am talking about consoles. On the PS3 Far Cry looked good but only Skyrim made my jaw drop on a frequent basis.

Same with Just cause 2: You very likely refer to the PC version cause that looks remarkably much better than the console version. I am still talking about consoles (I've not played Skyrim on PC).
But either way, the world in JC2 is just so insanely much simpler and less detailed than Skyrim.

Let me just at the end here state the following: I am no Skyrim fan. Not at all. This is not me just defending my favourite game. But I like to give credit where credit's due.
In Skyrim you can drop a friggin' apple in the middle of the woods and it's still there when you return hours later. This level of complexity and detail is not common in any open world games, let alone on current gen consoles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Real Men Cry: What Game(s) Turned On The Waterworks For You? frostface 0 9,449 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  After One Console Generation Of DLC, What Is Your Verdict? frostface 0 5,078 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Should Game Of The Year Rely Solely On Review Scores? The Benny (Macho) 0 9,673 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: