Let's get this forum more active
In ways I gotta agree with Gabe. I've been a forum whore for a little over 8 years now... In 8 years, I can definately say there is much to be said about smaller, tight knit communities...

Once a forum gets BIG, it attracts not only a 'higher proportion of idiots" but you're essentially provoking the needs for more moderators (and you'll always get atleast one 'nazi mod' which I'll volunteer for that job! aka 'The Icy Hot Moderator' position LOL), heavier censorship, etc. If you want a good example of it, go look at the official Playstation forums... Granted, I go there now and then, but only to look for updates on topics I don't see here... ie.... Wipeout HD, Wipeout Pulse's DLC, and PSN info. It's a disaster though, a prime example of a 'larger' forum.

More people wouldn't hurt, but there's always a breaking point... Where that point is depends on the people joining. Certainly, more people would mean more conversation and chatter going on, that's all good.

For now, the comments posting does allow reader to reader communication, although... Ugh, it can get downright nasty sometimes... The whole petition install debate is a good example of that, but I can definately get worse. Last thing anyone wants though is constant name calling, senseless debates, and whatnot... Not to mention the threads being locked that comes with it. Although, call me crazy, but I think there's a few people here already capable of causing such chaos, LOL, but it's all good. Smile

The people who have interest in joining the forums will, it's not like the forum is some hidden area where you're selected to know about it! I can't say I'd agree with "figure out some way of pushing the commenters and those that visit the news section towards joining the forum" as that feels (or atleast sounds) almost forceful.

Also I'm sure there are plenty of readers who are lurking on the forums, and just not registered or active. The heavy majority will always be on the official websites. I do have to say though, of all the PS3 news websites out there, psxe is definately my favorite, and I'm always around looking for updated news, forum chatter, etc.

Ben and Arnold run a good site, and they are hopefully aware of that! I'm sure if they want to push the forums though, they'll do so. From what it seems, psxe has been around for many years, so that's a good sign! Smile

Anyways... 4am, and I'm babbling!
(lol, and no... I never post anything short... LMAO! Good thing threads don't get locked up to prevent me from replying with redicuously long posts!)
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Some of you shall be missed though! I think you few know who you are Smile
A few of you are actually on my PSN list at that! Cool
There are certainly a few extreme fanboys on the comment threads that almost send me into SIWOTI mode and the forum wouldn't really benefit from their presence. Back in the olden days though the forum was a little more active than it is now (I'd guess maybe around 15-20 people who were active most days) and it wouldn't be bad to get back up to that level.
Currently Playing: Overwatch (PC/PS4) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)
omfg, that's gotta be the funniest comic I've seen in a long while!
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

we got to have a forum idiot... it upsets me that we dont, everyone here seems to be decent! lol. i liked those days ;-)

to be big.. to be small, Hmmmmm

maybe more of a link on the main page to the forums? maybe show the way a little bigger, not neon sign big, but enough for people to think "ahh.. a forum".
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
Zapix - I think you're right. Maybe I'm just too used to big forums. I do still believe getting more people active (within limits) would be nothing but good. When I said "push" people towards the forum I didn't mean forcing them over. I should have have said "point" or "suggest." I think you have more or less convinced me that what we got here is a good thing.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
Quote:maybe more of a link on the main page to the forums? maybe show the way a little bigger, not neon sign big, but enough for people to think "ahh.. a forum".

He's got a point. Until the redesign where there were those tree buttons in the middle of the page I didn't know PSXExtreme had a forum. And I had been reading for a good 4 or 5 months.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
Well, could always change the Forum text link to a picture... :lol:

[Image: 6888800b8fa2f13e6a7168e20894ac1a.image.133x200.jpg]

wait, nevermind, that sounds 'forceful' and we might end up being mistaken for a Star Wars forum. :W:
Still... a funny thought!
btw, it's 8am now, and I haven't slept yet. I only get worse the longer I'm up!

PSXE has always been a fairly medium activity site. We seem to have this discussion every so often. I have been around since "Big Blue" and if I'm correct this is the 3rd or 4th generation of PSXE.

I dropped of posting in the forums alot due to time constraints between work and the kid but I literally check the main page for news everyday, if not from home on my cell phone. This is actually the only site I even post at anymore (if that counts for anything) and it's mostly due to the overpopulation of most other big sites like IGN and Gamespot being full of idiots and fanboys.

PSXE has always had a pretty decent size of regulars over the years and most still post to this day. The last time I remeber PSXE having a fairly high amount of traffic and new members we were constantly geting hit with people just spamming up the forums and Chuck Norris having to come to the rescue about 3 to 4 times a day at least. I for one thank the man upstairs for Chuck protecting this sanctum and keping the trolls away for as long as he has.
W3LCOM3 2 TH3 N3XT G3N3RATION!

PS3: God of War 3, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles,
SSF IV, Final Fantasy XIII, Bio Shock 2, GT5, trICO.

X360: Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake.

PSP: I want new hardware!!
Maybe I'm being controversial here but I think the addition of comments on the main page articles has harmed forum activity. Lots of interesting stories which would normally have been discussed on the forums now simply receive article comments.

Maybe I should start some of those topics here anyway. Atleast I'm more likely to get a sensible discussion going here than mixing in with some of the nutters on the main page.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
Nah Gabe, that's actually perfectly true in some respects, but then while scanning through PSU forums, I often find news from here linked or copied over there. I think it did however encourage people who usually just read news on the website to respond to most articles, which in turn is also good.

In ways, the forum here is a different entity... Nobody here I just wanna e-strangle, especially the ones who have a view, and no arguement to back it, except to simply say "you're wrong!" *rate you down!* LMAO LOL, reminds me of arguements with this girl (she's too young to be a 'woman' lol) friend of mine on FFXI

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To condense the forum or not? dillonthebunny 30 17,261 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  Forum FAQ Ryan H. 67 24,018 04-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Last Post: robodaddy-o
  Off Topic Forum baseballdude_ 4 1,097 09-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  multimedia, PS3 and the forum. Russell Burrows 0 738 07-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Russell Burrows
  why doesn't this website have a for sale/wanted forum thingy? aaronleo 0 926 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Not for forum, but for site dandan 0 965 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  What is wrong with this forum? Ryan H. 0 952 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  To condense forum or not? Arnold K. (Admin) 0 13,270 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Linking to my forum in my sig Ryan H. 0 709 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  the forum seems to be a lil fubar right now... accord 4 me 0 948 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: