Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official PS3 HDD upgrade thread.
Hi,

I thought it was time to start this thread and keep it a sticky as now years on everyone I know here and out there are running out of space on their PS3.

So people will now be thinking about changing their PS3 HDD for something a little bigger seeing as there are many things that will build up on the existing HDD, the changing to a bigger drive is now quite affordable.

BlinkBoy and Robochic have both changed theirs and havent looked back since, so I call upon you guys to post what type of HDD you have now and how did you put it in..
Are there any tutorials you can post a link to, or have the time to write a small piece about how to do it?

Anyone can contribute, I only say Blink and RoboC because theyre the only ones I have heard of here that have changed it themselves. I will find and posts links where I can also will ask questions on which is the best HDD to go for and where to buy it (please no spam).

Remember anyone can ask questions and give answers.. I myself will be changing it very soon, so I will pass on any knowledge that I learn along the way too.
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
* Step-By-Step Guide *

i too have recently upgraded my HDD... i had a 40GB drive that was in serious trouble with barely any room left... i was originally planning on getting an external hard drive to backup game saves thinking that would be enough... but, when i can fit all my saves on a wimpy 256MB USB drive, i knew that wouldn't work...

so, yesterday, i drove all over town trying to find THIS... the best buy in my town didn't have it but, 5 stores later and i found one at office depot... and for about $15 more i might add.. but, it was a pretty simple upgrade to be honest... much easier than i thought it would be... the only real problem occurred when i was trying to unscrew the little screws surrounding the old hard drive... i stripped all of them, lol... but, with enough persistence and using the ground for added pressure, i got em out... now i got a 250GB HD that has lifted my worries... and now i can use my old hard drive as an external hard drive with the proper casing... so, i got a bigger hard drive and an external one, which i was planning on buying anyways...

anyone can upgrade their HD... it was so simple that, i wish my PC was this easy... the only thing that kept this from being a fast switch was the 4 screws... and re-installing all my games took some time too but, it was worth the trouble... i went from having virtually no space left (where i couldn't even download a demo or buy another game) to having 188GB left to play with...

if your worried about running out of space on your hard drive, i suggest upgrading... it's as easy as making ramen noodles Big Grin... and all you need is a wimpy flash drive like mine to save all your game saves on... those are the files you don't want to lose... you can always re-install your games and DLC... i didn't see a reason to backup my entire hard drive because that would of required that i had an external hard drive... i didn't want to spend another $60 on one of those when after the upgrade, i got one for free... well, the casing won't be free but, the 40GB hard drive was...

P.S. - for trophy hunters, don't worry about losing your trophies, which you will if plan on upgrading... i was very worried that i'd lose the trophies to games i didn't even own anymore like godfather II but, once you log back into the internet, you can re-sync your system up to your gaming profile and it will add the trophies you've collected back to your hard drive... so no worries there, ladies and gents Big Grin... well, there's a lot to be worried about if you don't take your PS3 online though... it's the only way to get your trophies back...
[Image: bones-FNV2.gif] [Image: artistadam.png][Image: card.png]
cheers Bones!

I know you can back up certain data on an external drive.. did you do that before you changed over?

edit: just followed that link, that was a good link!

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

im looking at this HDD, what do you people think?

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB Sata 8MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive OEM ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-...749&sr=8-1

what was interesting was what Bones touched on, was the screws... the review for this HDD said it worked a dream on the PS3, but the soft metal screws are a pain, some people have had a real problem.

anyone recommend a screwdriver that would work well? is it a tiny long one? cross head or flat head?

To get the basic of what you need down, the PS3 use an SATA 2 2.5" HDD, it is probably easiest to order one online if it's not easy to find at retails. What brand your HDD is doesn't matter, as Sony them self use Seagate or Samsung or probably what ever is cheapest at the time. Western Digital is I what use.

I don't know where people will buy things in different countries so I can't link to everything. Here is one 320 Gb Samsung

I have switched my PS3 HDD twice. First I had a 250gb then switched to 500gb when it became available - WD have released some new 2.5" HDDs at 750gb and 1Tb of storage capacity, but those are 12.5 mm thick, and the ones that are in most laptops and all PS3s are 9.5 mm. Just so you don't go "oh yea I am getting 1 terrabyte PS3!".

One tip is, if you have portable External HDD you are using for moving media around with, I got one called WD MyBook 500gb, you must make sure that one is formatted in file system FAT32 so the PS3 is able to read it.

Now if you have your External HDD ready, you can simply go to System Settings on PS3 and then go down to Backup System. If you hit X button on there it will pack all your demos, save files and installed game data plus all other media like music, photos or videos.

This saves a lot of time downloading all the things again, and people with limiting internet speed per gb/download don't have to waste bandwidth.

If you don't have an external HDD you can use a USB flash memory stick to store your save files on.

When you are going loose up the screws, they can be easily snapped off and leaving you more work. Make sure you use the right screwdriver with Philips-head a Ph2 head is best. When turning the screw try and push in and turn slowly.

Then just take out the HDD which is mounted to a shelf type thing, there are 4 screws attaching the drive to it.

After you have installed your new HDD, and fire up your PS3 it may ask for firmware update - mine did that the second time when switching to 500gb. You can download the latest PS3 firmware through a PC here it is handy to have on a flash memory drive just incase. Doesn't matter what country you are from as the firmware is a worldwide thing.

When you finally are in and can see the XMB, you must return to the PS3s System Settings, now go down to Restore system. Wait for it to restore all your demos and gamedata and it will feel just like before, only with much more freedom to install all you want.

No more worrying about space on PS3 for a while.
[Image: Xenogears_XenogearsID_facing_720.jpg]
Xenogears vs Xenogears-ID

Now Playing:
  • PS3: White Knight Chronicles 2
  • Wii: Xenoblade Chronicle
  • Where did all these Chronicles come from?

nice one Blink!!

maybe we'll do a yellow dog linux sticky in a few months after we all have 500 gigs to play with :lol:

seriously tho, all good stuff. but dont stop there, if anyone has any questions or anything to add... fire away!

Oh yeah, if you are going to install YDL, you must format the HDD to give 10gb or something to Other OS (Linux). I don't use it much though, maybe newer YDL versions are better and support more features.
I have like zero experience with any Linux at all, I just wanted to try it on PS3 since I had space to offer it. You get firefox on it though so it may be something for few individuals.
[Image: Xenogears_XenogearsID_facing_720.jpg]
Xenogears vs Xenogears-ID

Now Playing:
  • PS3: White Knight Chronicles 2
  • Wii: Xenoblade Chronicle
  • Where did all these Chronicles come from?

ive always wanted YDL, especially in the early days. But as time goes on I just dont need it any more. but its certainly interesting and would love to know how to do it.

**important**

what do you do about Firmware upgrade? will you be able to download it again from the PS3 or should you find it online and stick it on a mem stick?

dillonthebunny Wrote:I know you can back up certain data on an external drive.. did you do that before you changed over?
naw, i don't have an external drive... i just backed up my saved games on a little jump drive... if you want to do an entire system backup, you'll need an external hard drive but, i didn't see that as an important step... i felt that i didn't need to backup my data files because, i had no problem in re-installing all my games and DLC... it's the saved games that i wanted to make sure i got... but, if you want to backup everything, your going to need an external HD with more than 40GB of memory because, your gonna have to convert a partition of the HD to a "FAT32" file type in order for the PS3 to recognize it... and that partition will eat up 32GB of memory on your external...

Quote:im looking at this HDD, what do you people think?

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB Sata 8MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive OEM ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digi...9842749&sr=8-1
that one appears to be a good choice... i went with a seagate but, i hear that both the seagate and western digital ones are the best to use... not sure why but, maybe it's because they are the best on the market currently... when it comes to delicate things like this, i don't care about paying a little extra for the best...

blinkboy's post stated the basics you need to know in order to have a successful upgrade... 2.5" SATA HD with at least a 5400RPM output... not sure what the cache buffer needs to be though... mine offers 8MB... and the data transfer rates don't matter... as long as it's at or more than 1.5 you should be good... even if it is more than 1.5, the PS3 won't use the additional transfer rate because the PS3 is permanently set at 1.5... you can get a HD with more than 5400RPM but, there's not much of a difference i hear... plus, the more RPM's, the more the unit heats...

but, the beauty of the upgrade (IMO) is the fact that not only do you upgrade your HD space but, you also get to use the HD you just removed as an external HD... i just ordered THIS to turn my old HD into an external HD...

EDIT: yea, those screws are a bit of a bitch to remove... your going to need a screwdriver that fits into the screw perfectly, with no room to move... you don't want to completely strip the face off of them otherwise, you next choice would be to use needle-nosed pliers to remove them... and trust me, that won't be easy at all... i couldn't even get the damn screw to budge at all with the pliers... just be very very very careful with the screws... it's the most delicate part of the entire process...
[Image: bones-FNV2.gif] [Image: artistadam.png][Image: card.png]
thats good to note about the screws... everywhere ive read they echo the same warning.

any thoughts on the official firmware upgrade, how does that work? did you have to download that again from a PC to a mem stick or can you just upgrade via the PS3 again?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UT3 new Mods and Maps thread. dillonthebunny 15 2,913 02-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Zubra-Zap
  The Unofficial Post You're PSN Name Thread. fatchad420 3 893 02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Darth Koth
  White Knight Chronicles talk and discussion thread BlinkBoy 0 5,657 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  SPOILER ALERT: Resistance 2 Spoilerific thread SHADOW 0 1,485 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Official Upcoming Home Spaces! SamSamurai 0 827 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  PS3 price cut count down thread Russell Burrows 0 2,740 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  ICO and SotC HD upgrade on PS3? Fumito Ueda is positive to the idea BlinkBoy 0 1,995 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  The Uncharted 2 Spoilerific Discussion Thread SHADOW 0 5,544 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  The LBP Thread: Good levels you find WolfCrimson 0 3,462 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  The game rip-off thread Akuma07 0 1,874 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: