Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSXE's Best of the Best Polls: PS2 Overall
It's definitely FFVII's prize, both for the quality of the game and what it did for Final Fantasy, Sony and the genre as a whole. It doesn't make for a particularly exciting competition though, making it all about what comes second and third. Currently (and predictably) that's currently FFVIII and IX.
Don't worry, the PS1 genre awards will move along next week. Smile

Anybody want to see a particular genre go next? Action? Platform? Puzzle? Sports/Racing?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
Platform might be interesting, because even with Crash and Spyro as the big names (I can't think of anything else of note - Jumping Jack Flash? Pandemonium?) I don't think they were ever universally loved, at least not in the same way that Jak or Ratchet would be for the PS2.

What would be the contenders for action? Things like Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil (would horror be separate?), Twisted Metal, fighting games (which I'm not sure could be a category by itself - Tekken 1-3, Soul Edge, Street Fight Alpha and... Toshinden? Smackdown?)? As a broad category it could possibly be fairly up in the air about the winner.

I don't personally care about racing (Wipeout, Gran Turismo and Ridge Racer?) or sports and couldn't even name many strong puzzle games...
Oh, there were some good puzzle games! Intelligent Qube, the Bust-a-Moves, Ballistic, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, and I'd even count the Deception titles as "puzzle." Might not have a Round 2 for that, though.

Platformers would include Spyro, Crash, Gex, Ape Escape, Klonoa, Rayman, Croc, etc. Action would be a big category: Castlevania, MGS, Twisted Metal, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Syphon Filter, Dino Crisis, Bushido Blade, etc.

I'm not sure if we should have a FPS category for the PS1...it just wasn't a huge category back then; I may factor it into the Action category. So Medal of Honor would be action, for example.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

"Small minds are interested in the extraordinary, great minds in the commonplace."
-- Elbert Hubbard
Puzzle games aren't really my kind of thing. I really enjoyed things like Lemmings, Troddlers and Braid, but the whole clear-a-board-by-matching-things-up never clicked with me.

It will definitely be interesting to see what people choose for platformers, I don't see any one game that's much better than all the others (though personally the Crash games would win out). Would Tomb Raider be a platformer? Technically there's more platforming and less gunplay in the first TR than in Ratchet, for example.

Action definitely seems like it could be the most unpredictable because of the wide range of games. FPS should definitely be folded into it too because there really wasn't that much going on for that whole generation, particularly before the dual analogues.
I think a good poll would be what genre you like the most. you know FPS, RPG, sports, racing, platformer, etc. And then you could follow it up with say the top 3 and divide them into subcategories like, strategy RPG, turn based rpg, action rpg, etc.
Hey Ben, wasn't Dead or Alive popular enough to put on the list for Best Fighter?
but you could mention so many fighters.. like Tobal no.1 or no.2 ...Tekken 2? VF?

anyway, i dont care what early results are saying, Soul Edge was the greatest PS1 fighter.. and i'll fight anyone who says it wasnt (lol)....

erm, who wrote the list for the poll there Ben, it wasnt you was it? i say that because over in Blightydom it was Soul Blade, but surely you guys across the pond know it as Soul Edge?

so why call it Soul Blade?
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:
I thought the same Dillon, but according to Wikipedia:

Quote: The game was then ported to the Sony PlayStation and renamed Soul Blade in Europe, North America and Australia.
Tekken 3 was definitely the best of the Tekken series, both in my opinion and the critical reception, so I can see why 2 would have been left off. I would have gone for Smackdown 2 over the first one, but that's just me.

As for the poll, I voted for Tekken 3. Soul Blade had some real strong points considering it was the début for the series (decent weapon combat, interesting characters and some great storylines) but Tekken 3 beats it.
fair enough, Soul Bade just struck a note with me.. I agree that Tekken 3 was the best of the Tekkens on the ps1, theres no doubt about that.. in fact for hand to hand combat, it was the best fighting game out.

though.. Thrill Kill imo was better. Wink Big Grin

even 'Wu Tang taste the pants' was prety good.

my fav apart from something like Bushido blade which brought a new genre to fighting games was 'Shaolin' (lord of the Fist in USA).. that was one hell of a game, one that i wish to god someone would bring to the ps3.

anyway. yes Ben, who wrote that list for you? ...you have a wee sneaky Brit working in the Cellar for you?
[Image: 946907_103428.jpg] [Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3 :evil:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSXE Poll re xbox content? Gabriel013 36 2,574 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Ben D.
  PSXE Seeking Some Help Ben D. 6 961 04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Norrec
  PSXE New Designs The Benny (Macho) 8 995 01-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Dmitry M. (Lazer)
  SOCOM PSXE Clan suggestion? Norrec 21 1,465 08-19-2003, 02:25 AM
Last Post: TtTackler
  Question for Arnold or any PSXE staffer about PS2 hardware Ryan H. 0 776 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  First Weekly PSXE Live game, Tues. 9/06 Ryan H. 0 1,012 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Tenchu: Time of the Assassins PSXE sheats??!? dillonthebunny 0 589 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  PSXE PS3 Coverage Ben D. 0 3,892 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  PSXE Gears of War nights. Goten 0 2,278 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Official Unofficial PSXE God of War II Combo Contest! Ryan H. 0 972 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: