Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which PlayStation Console Featured The Best Launch Lineup?
Original Article.

Excerpt:
Ben D. Wrote:Launch lineups are always so important and yet, so many have been found wanting in the industry's history.

On the PlayStation side, which hardware iteration hit the market with the best array of launch titles?

So, which one takes the cake? I say it's the PS2.
For me, Ben makes a great case against early adoption of consoles here. He wasn't making complete lists, but for PS1 launch highlights we've got:
  • Ridge Racer
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Rayman
  • Jumping Flash!
PS2:
  • Madden NFL 2001
  • SSX
  • DoA2: Hardcore
  • Smuggler's Run
  • TimeSplitters
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Armored Core 2
  • Summoner
  • Eternal Ring
  • Midnight Club
PS3:
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • NBA 2K7
  • Ridge Racer 7
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
PS4:
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Battlefield 4
  • Madden
  • FIFA
  • NBA 2K
Obviously some of those games were much better for their time than they seem now, but they're all still pretty lacklustre line-ups. You're basically buying the console at its most expensive, when it has its least possible amount of games and when few (if any) of those games are truly taking advantage of the hardware (most of the PS4/X1 line-up will be current-gen games with some graphics tweaks), on the promise that the games will be better within the next twelve months, when the price will probably have dropped or there are better bundle deals. It's just a very expensive way of being able to say, "First!"
Currently Playing: Overwatch (PC/PS4) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance were a PS2 port. Does that count?

Great game though. In fact it's probably my favourite Marvel game of all time side-by-side with X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse.
PSN & Steam & Wordfeud & UniWar: Beamboom
Well those lists are just the games I pulled out of Ben's article, so if it was included then it counts. If we were going to disqualify any game that's also releasing on a previous generation then the PS4 would be launching with Knack, Shadow Fall and a bunch of indie PSN games, which would be an embarrassingly empty launch line-up (and, as I've mentioned before, is why both next-gen consoles are such terrible value for me personally).

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance was a good game though, even if a lot of the heroes were kind of samey. Any half-decent game that supports 2-4 people in local co-op in the main story mode gets a lot of extra points from me.
Currently Playing: Overwatch (PC/PS4) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)
I'm not sure there's ever been a console with a good launch lineup, which is why I've never bought a console at, or really even near, launch. I guess I'd agree with Ben that the PS2 had the best of the PS launches, but only because of SSX, and original Xbox was probably the best MS launch lineup, but only (and not even really exaggerating) because of Halo.
The Benny (Macho) Wrote:If we were going to disqualify any game that's also releasing on a previous generation then the PS4 would be launching with Knack, Shadow Fall and a bunch of indie PSN games, which would be an embarrassingly empty launch line-up (and, as I've mentioned before, is why both next-gen consoles are such terrible value for me personally).

... And that is why I'm in no rush getting me a PS4 either. But as far as I understand Marvel:UA was already released before the PS3 were launched, therefore I don't think it counts as a launch title? Or maybe it still does. It was there on launch. Smile Bah, whocaresanyway.

The Benny (Macho) Wrote:Marvel: Ultimate Alliance was a good game though, even if a lot of the heroes were kind of samey. Any half-decent game that supports 2-4 people in local co-op in the main story mode gets a lot of extra points from me.

Yeah it was great fun. I loved to micro-manage the various buffed items across the characters and make the heroes more specialized within their fields.
This is the major fatal error they did with UA2, they removed all that individual stuff and dumbed down the buffed items to be for the whole team instead.
PSN & Steam & Wordfeud & UniWar: Beamboom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best PlayStation console of all time? Sidular 8 1,769 06-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Last Post: farfus
  After One Console Generation Of DLC, What Is Your Verdict? frostface 0 5,078 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: