Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Digital Media downloading is bound to fail? Maybe...
Um, question.
I seem to be only reading about companies who offer DSL. What about the Cable internet like mine?
I use Cox Communications and I haven't heard them doing anything like this.
"I'm the body with the coroner, Many friends yet still a loner."

"Black then white are all i see in my infancy. Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me."
I am The Giver. Thank you Tool.
VirginMedia is cable.
\"...and he shall ascend from the fires of Hell...\"
"everyone knows second hand squirrel kills." - Svosen
[Image: britpsxesmall.jpg]

3 forum tokens
According to the Azureus wiki website, Cox "limits bandwidth for accounts with a high traffic volume" but has no restrictions otherwise. Comcast (cable internet btw) was fortunately removed from that list, although it would appear they will be doing some kind of either capping or throttling. I can deal with throttling at 'peak hours' as long as I get around 200kb/sec... If my xbox360 starts to lag on online gaming... You can believe I will be pissed beyond pissed.

On the note of Cox, my ex has Cox, and she says she never has problems with it, including no problems using torrents.

LOL, on the note of unlimited bandwidth and all, while I was still using AOL dialup at the end of 2005, I called to cancel... They went and looked at how often I used the service... ... ... ROFL, apparently I was using a rather unusually high amount of bandwidth! Well, despite that, just to keep me as a customer, they gave me 6 months free. 6 months later... I canceled again and that time I really canceled! How much you wanna bet if I called Comcast to cancel they wouldn't give me 6 months free for using my bandwidth I was supposed to get to begin with! They'd probably be happy to see me leave!

Can only hope this trend the US and Canadian companies are taking don't impact Gabriel! Haha, he'll come on here one day "They limited me to 1mb a month at 52k/sec!" and pay additional charges because coming to the forum sucked up all his bandwidth!
*cough* ok, so it wouldn't be that bad... least I hope not!
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Some of you shall be missed though! I think you few know who you are Smile
A few of you are actually on my PSN list at that! Cool
VirginMedia (cable ISP provider, as well as TV, phone etc.) are an odd company. They have the infrastructure in place for download speeds that far exceed DSL lines (and advertise their service as such), but as Dillon has said they still throttle excessively even on packages that are down in the DSL-level speeds.

They were also among the initial ISPs to jump on board with the Phorm spyware thing and have willingly jumped in bed with the BPI to send out warning letters to people suspected of downloading illegal content, despite having no legal obligation to do so.
Currently Playing: Overwatch (PC/PS4) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)
If Virgin aren't careful they will end up with no customers.

I wonder if I you could sue for defamation of character if they accused you of downloading illegal content but you hadn't?

If I want a half decent rate even after throttling I would have to pay a stupid amount per month. Currently I drop to around 90kbps sometimes even before I reach my unthrottled dl limit!

3 forum tokens
It's nice to see (as reported by PSXE) that some people in Sony are also stating that digital delivery will become the norm. It should hopefully quieten certain parts of the debate that for some reason always saw it as Microsoft's Digital Delivery against Sony's Blu Ray.
Currently Playing: Overwatch (PC/PS4) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)
I don't care which companies are supporting it, it will be a very long time before any normal gamer is able to make use of a digital download service.

It took me around 1 hour to download sys update 2.36 at the weekend!

3 forum tokens
Gabriel013 Wrote:I don't care which companies are supporting it, it will be a very long time before any normal gamer is able to make use of a digital download service.

It took me around 1 hour to download sys update 2.36 at the weekend!

It took me 5 minutes to be able to watch a rented movie on itunes, and I have a 'normal' high speed connection.
[Image: MrSunburnMan.png]
Mr. SunburnMan Wrote:It took me 5 minutes to be able to watch a rented movie on itunes, and I have a 'normal' high speed connection.

So what we are really saying here is that it's just the UK infrastructure that is rubbish... It most certainly is.

I could upgrade to a 20gb line (still with major throttling after a gig or so) but that would cost me an organ per month.

3 forum tokens
I bet Comcast and Sony were both loving me last night... I went download happy on the PSN (about 10gb worth), catching up on demos, videos, etc. LOL... I found myself with 10gb left on my drive... All said and done, I deleted some old stuff and now back up to 17gb

Kinda painful, 3 more games, and I'm gonna have to start uninstalling, or get a huge f'in harddrive and figure out how to backup all my games save data to move it drive to drive, because SYSTEM / NETWORK data is blocked.
9/2/2010 - Leaving PSXE. The site imo has become a breeding ground for fanboys and extemists. I can get my PS3 news anywhere, and PSXE does not breed a community that is exactly welcoming.

Some of you shall be missed though! I think you few know who you are Smile
A few of you are actually on my PSN list at that! Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winamp vs Windows Media Player nice shirt 15 821 04-07-2004, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Antonio
  "This message sponsored by the Media Fund" Tosser00 2 575 04-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Last Post: everett102
  Got a new digital camera!! (What did you buy this week?) sabbas 29 1,854 03-20-2004, 02:47 AM
Last Post: farfus
  media player skin: whats urs? nice shirt 19 762 06-21-2003, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Tosser00
  Dolby Digital EX 6.1 Audio Interceptor 6 725 06-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Interceptor
  Downloading Music Legal In US Dmitry M. (Lazer) 5 780 05-06-2003, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Steven Gaines
  WinMX: a safe way for free downloading? LordArchy 0 624 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Poise Media KCAA 0 1,926 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Roxio Media Creator 7 svosen 0 410 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How the media view gaming Gabriel013 0 669 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: