virus infection on main page
SHADOW Wrote:wierd. that's all I can say. at least you found something that does work.

ahem.....firefox.........adblocker..........noscript.......
Never play with a wasps nest.
Abp Ftw :d
Add me on the PSN: chrizzizzippi
Stalk me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrizzizzippi
Deep thoughts are deep:http://chrislovesoma.tumblr.com/
I hate to be the dousche that does this but I have to. adblock blocks ads that are very neccessary to the survival of certain sites. If enough people block those ads the admin may have to bring the site down because he/she can no longer afford to run it. This type of software has killed communities and taken many sites down. Ads aren't that annoying stop taking money out of site admins' pockets, and remove that software. Also by blocking all script you miss out on a lot of web expiriences.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
SHADOW Wrote:I hate to be the dousche that does this but I have to. adblock blocks ads that are very neccessary to the survival of certain sites. If enough people block those ads the admin may have to bring the site down because he/she can no longer afford to run it. This type of software has killed communities and taken many sites down. Ads aren't that annoying stop taking money out of site admins' pockets, and remove that software. Also by blocking all script you miss out on a lot of web expiriences.

Ads that give your computer a virus infection are by definition annoying.

However the simple solution is to just have an ignore folder and press three links on the site you are visiting since its those links being pressed that give money to site admins.

However one ad that really, really ticked me off was one they had on this site in glowing green that pulsed on and off over and over again to the point where I minimized the window to just barely read the text to avoid haveing to blink at that ad.

Later.
Never play with a wasps nest.
It is a situation that ad companies have brought upon themselves though. Things like ads that infect the user with viruses or spyware (accidentally or intentionally), ads that automatically play video or sound, ads that put themselves in the centre of the screen until you find the tiny close button, ads that flash obnoxiously and ads that take longer to load than the website you're visiting have all added up to people losing patience with them.

Cracked (NSFW) ran a competition about annoying ads that sums up a lot of the problems with ads quite well. Ad companies took the approach that they could throw anything and everything at a user to attract their attention and coax out a few extra clickthroughs, and it was only a matter of time before people started blocking them. It's a backlash that hurts the small sites that run the ads much more than the big ad companies though.
Currently Playing: Shadow of War (PC) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)
The only truly unforgivable thing I see in online ads is the virus and spyware infections. That however is easy to block without blocking a vital revenue stream to site admins. I understand how annoying ads can be, trust me I KNOW, but I see ads as an important annoyance that isn't going to go away. eventually ad companies will get around your blocking software, and they will always come up with an even more annoying way of trying to sell me "male enhancement". The way I see it, it takes money out of people's pockets who need it, I can't justify that.
[Image: design-sparta.jpg][Image: SHADOWsoldier-.png][url=http://www.psxextremeforums.com/off-topic-forum/12888-2011-nfl-thread.html][/url]
That's the problem really. The small sites aren't to blame (they'll go with the ad companies that provide the most money back) but will suffer from ad blocking. The ad companies are to blame but will barely feel a few blocked ads. The user then has to choose between harming sites or being regularly annoyed by intrusive advertising.

It all boils down to individual tolerance levels, and ultimately it will just take something particularly obnoxious to exceed that level and encourage people to reach for the ad blocker. The rise of Flash ads really did a lot to convince people that ad companies had proven they can't be responsible with ads.

Timeshifting is a similar thing with TV now. After years of increasingly longer ad breaks and ad breaks with high volume levels people suddenly had the ability to bypass ads completely, and once you give people the option to avoid annoying ads they will take it. If a programme takes an hour to watch live or forty minutes if you record it then people will record and skip through the ads, even when advertising is the primary funding model.

That has led in part to the increasing presence of banners popping up advertising upcoming programmes (Sky One has a particularly horrible one at the moment that takes up a huge chunk of the screen), credits that are either suppressed, squashed or talked over and other annoyances. Which in turn has led to people preferring piracy...
Currently Playing: Shadow of War (PC) | Nathan Drake Collection [Uncharted 3] (PS4) Breath of the Wild (Switch) ReCore (XBOne)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home page virus attack!??! psplayer 4 1,147 07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Last Post: The Benny (Macho)
  xboxnerds page broken Gabriel013 1 802 10-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Last Post: psxextreme
  Is the main PSXE website broken? Gabriel013 2 1,038 09-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Gabriel013
  Virus on psxextreme.com? dandan 0 1,330 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Main page: where do you live pop up dillonthebunny 0 829 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Would a game interest gauge on the front page get more people talking? opsdaddy 0 771 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Question about commenting on the front page articles Powershifter 0 2,680 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  AD's on the Main Site mackid1993 0 2,786 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Embedding Forum activity to the main page cLoudou 0 1,679 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Can't access the main site Sir Shak 0 2,290 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: