PlayStation Extreme Forums - PSXE
What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Printable Version

+- PlayStation Extreme Forums - PSXE (https://psxextremeforums.com)
+-- Forum: Gaming Forums (https://psxextremeforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://psxextremeforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (/showthread.php?tid=22793)

Pages: 1 2 3

What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Spartan119 - 08-25-2017

In an attempt to revive discussion around here, thought I'd go with an oldie but a goodie and ask what kind of mayhem y'all will be getting into this weekend.

I just started up Uncharted: Lost Legacy about an hour ago. So far this game seems to be on auto pilot, though the combat is a bit more dynamic and frenetic than before. I've also got less than a week before my EA Access membership runs out and I'm tired of paying $5 to *eventually* get around to finishing Battlefield 1's campaign so I plan on wrapping that up, too. It's a lot of fun, I just get sidetracked with so many other things.

Will, as always, be getting in some time with Overwatch, as well.

How 'bout you guys?

RE: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - farfus - 08-25-2017

So what are your impressions of the ps4 so far, Ryan? Curious what the difference between the ps3 and ps4 are and if it's worth the price difference. For me I don't think I will be involved in another system, but would like to get conversations going also.

RE: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Sidular - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 09:06 PM)farfus Wrote: So what are your impressions of the ps4 so far, Ryan?  Curious what the difference between the ps3 and ps4 are and if it's worth the price difference. For me I don't think I will be involved in another system, but would like to get conversations going also.

The PS4 is basically just an updated PS3, but without a lot of the media functionality that the PS3 provided. It's a solid system if you're just looking to play some of the latest and greatest games, but if you're like me and interested in media consumption, the PS4 will leave you wanting more. Of course, Sony's continuously updating the thing with new features, but it's honestly too little too late as far as I'm concerned. 

The DS4 controller feels relatively good to hold, but the battery life is total trash due to the always-on light bar that doesn't do anything but light up your room, and create a blue reflection on your television. You can dim it, but not turn it off completely. Apparently the thing will change colours depending on what's going on in the game, which adds a cool level of extra immersion if your game supports it. But honestly? Due to the way that the light is angled on the older DS4 controllers, you don't notice the colour changes. I mean, it took me a solid 50 hours to realize that the light flashed red and blue in GTA 5 whenever the police were after me. Hell, I didn't even notice it myself. I was live streaming, and one of my viewers told me that the controller was flashing. 

Oh, and don't even get me started on the launch controllers. The analog sticks were defective, and kept wearing away after normal use. The L2 and R2 triggers were also rather cheaply made, and to an extent, still are with the current models. 

Even with those controller faults, I still say that the DS4 is one of the best controllers ever made, and is a significant upgrade over the old DualShock design. It just feels good to hold. 

All in all, I'd say that the PS4 is a worthy upgrade over the PS3, at least in 2017. There are enough quality games to justify a purchase. 
I ended up preordering my PS4, and disliked the day one experience. For the longest while I preferred the Xbox One and Wii U over the PS4, mainly for the Xbox's dozens of media apps, and the Wii U's fantastic lineup of exclusive games.

RE: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - farfus - 08-26-2017

Thanks for your excellent response, Sindular! I love honesty and always appreciated this forum in part to the lack of fanboys and more honest responses from the members. Fan boys didn't like the forum so we tended to keep it more of a trust place, we knew someone was being objective mostly. I expect the fact that the ps4 didn't overdazzle everyone it contributed to the steady decline in contributing members here. I recall when I purchased a ps2 day one I realized the games weren't all that great and there wasn't really any hurry in making that purchase. The PS and Snes were cranking out good games and I was playing Everquest, which was a huge time sync. Thanks again and lets get this thread moving!

RE: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Spartan119 - 08-26-2017

To be honest I'm loving the PS4 so far. I never really got into the media aspects of the PS3, but I am quite happy with how well the PS4 functions for Netflix and Hulu and such. The interface is great, I love the controller, and the ability to share media from your games with just the touch of a button. It's a quality system, but it'll never replace my one true love - PC.

RE: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - farfus - 08-27-2017

That's awesome, Ryan, I know when it came out it was the preferred system to the xb1. Being a big 360 player and enjoying the social aspects of that system compared to the ps3 I would have to have visible evidence of positive change in that regard. I understand there's a new Xbox in the works.

RE: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Sidular - 08-27-2017

(08-27-2017, 05:18 PM)farfus Wrote: That's awesome, Ryan, I know when it came out it was the preferred system to the xb1. Being a big 360 player and enjoying the social aspects of that system compared to the ps3 I would have to have visible evidence of positive change in that regard. I understand there's a new Xbox in the works.

The new Xbox is really just a more powerful Xbox One. It's called the Xbox One X, and doesn't provide anything new to the overall experience. Just more power under the hood. 

Personally, I've always leaned toward the Xbox One this generation. Microsoft's original promise of cloud enhanced gaming really interested me, being a supporter of cloud gaming, and web technology in general. Unfortunately their marketing department severely goofed in explaining it. They kept focusing on the always-online aspect of the Xbox, and didn't clearly explain why this would provide gamers with a benefit to their gaming experiences. For example, Microsoft's original vision for the Xbox One would have allowed for the console to render a lot of the action in the cloud, which basically means things like dynamic weather, NPC pathfinding, physics, and other aspects of the game could be moved over to the cloud, putting less overall stress on the local Xbox One hardware. This would allow the Xbox One to be significantly more powerful than even the PS4 Pro, as far as game performance and graphic fidelity goes. By moving things to a remote server, you're in turn freeing up the local hardware to do other stuff. 

Crackdown 3 was going to take advantage of cloud computing to handle its destruction. While I can't confirm this, I'd wager that one of the primary reasons Crackdown 3 was delayed, was because of the removal of this cloud reliance. No cloud = limited destruction, and for a game that had its main selling point as being able to blow up literally everything? Well, that's a game changer. 

If Microsoft marketed the Xbox One differently back at launch, we would have likely received an entirely different console experience. Instead, this happened 
Quote:MATTRICK: "Some of the advantages that you get, of having, a box that is designed to use an online state, so, that, uh, to me is the future-proof choice, and I think people, could've arguably gone the other way if we didn't do it and fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360."

KEIGHLEY: "Right, so stick with 360, that's your message if you don't [inaudible] like it?"

MATTRICK: "Well, if you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device, I mean, seriously, when I read the blogs, and thought about who's really the most impacted, there was a person who said 'hey, I'm on a nuclear sub,' and I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I've gotta imagine it's not easy to get an internet connection."

KEIGHLEY: "[inaudible] playing call of duty multiplayer"

MATTRICK: "Hey, I can empathize, if I was on a nuclear sub, I'd be disappointed."

Honestly, Microsoft killed the Xbox One (at launch) because of their marketing and PR. They had a great idea, but failed to express it to your average consumer. You shouldn't have to have a background or general interest in cloud and web technologies to understand what the hell Microsoft is saying. 

Anyway, getting off topic. Heh. 

ps. It's Sidular, not Sindular. Heh. Pronounced Sid-You-Ler/Lar. Big Grin

RE: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - farfus - 08-28-2017

I hope you all enjoy whatever you are playing!

RE: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Spartan119 - 09-01-2017

This weekend I'll be finishing up Resident Evil Revelations for review, and then trying to tie up loose ends in the first Destiny so I'm ready to rock on September 5th.

If anyone here wants to team up in Destiny this weekend, feel free to add me on PSN @ BionicNinjas

RE: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Spartan119 - 09-02-2017

Finished up The Taken King tonight. Was good stuff, seriously good stuff.

Tomorrow is a marathon run of RE Revelations.

What about y'all?